1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. terrier4eva

terrier4eva Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    I put on here last year I was doing the London Marathon this year for a bowel cancer charity. Unfortunately that didn't happen, my own keeper wiped my out damaging my sciatic and perineal nerve in November - the clot! Couldn't start up again until February so it was too late, thankfully I was able to get deferred so that I can compete in this years marathon.
    I still can't feel the top of my left foot but I Managed to complete a half marathon in Colchester a couple of weeks ago - however since then I've had some real pain in my right foot just on the outside next to my heel - anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    It band. Get some tape. I had regular sports massages too. Strengthen your glutes and core.

3. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I'm completely wrong.
    Clearly I don't run anymore!
    Summat called Plantar fasiitis. I got it but can't remember for the life of my how I remied it.

4. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    PF is a complete bastard and takes ages to go, but is usually under the heel and running down the foot. The classic remedy is rolling a frozen bottle of water under the foot. It tends to hurt in the morning and eases up during the day as long as you are moving.

Richard likes this.
  5. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Well now I've lost most of my excess fat I'm trying to get into some more interesting sports than just hitting the gym every other day, which gets tedious.

Went bouldering today and that was brilliant. Absolutely knackering on the hands and forearms but felt really good to work the muscles in a way I havent I years. Going to try and make a habit of that as I think it will be easier to stay in shape when I have something I enjoy that requires being in decent condition.

Think its also time to start considering finding a MMA gym as I used to really enjoy that before University.

6. mike1234

mike1234 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    squash is great for the fitness and short bursts

Jezza and Dprice81 like this.
  7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Does that stretch up to around the Achilles area as well? My right Achilles has given me jip for a few weeks now and I'm now starting to feel it in my heel. Just thought I'd strained the Achilles to be honest

8. Jezza

Jezza Banned

Supports:
    United
    Yeah squash is absolutely knackering. Its a bit shit at the beginner stage though.

Dprice81 likes this.
  9. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Not usually. PF is almost exclusively along the bottom of the foot. Best to see a physio or google your particular issues.

10. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Thanks mate, I'll do that although it seems to have eased off over the last week or so. Probably just a bit of a strain on the Achilles

11. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Ankle ok now then Tomohawk?

12. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I'm managing a couple of 4-5k runs a week at the minute. It seems fine except for the first km or so when it gives me a bit of pain but then it eases off. I also don't feel it when doing normal day to day stuff either which is strange although I can feel it when I'm doing a home workout to include things like high stepping or jumping jacks.

Could it be a case that my warm up isn't sufficient for that area and it's taking that first km to loosen up?

13. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It sounds OK - rule of thumb is that its better if something eases off rather than steadily gets worse. Slight concern over the dynamic stuff at home though, that will strain that area more, make sure you get properly warmed up first!

14. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Yeah that's how I work. A while back when my knees were playing up I set out on a run and within the first 100 yards they got worse and worse so I stopped but with my ankle it definitely eases off.

You make a good point about the dynamic stuff. The workouts I do at home generally focus on core work which is mostly non-impact exercises. I think they just throw in a bit of dynamic stuff to help with cardio but I think I'll start to leave that out and just do the core work until I'm feeling no pain in my ankle

15. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Best thing to do really. Be careful as they are annoying injuries as they don't get much blood comparatively to other areas.

Tomohawk likes this.
  16. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    @claret where you been mate ? not been on for a month hope your ok

Jezza likes this.