1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next draft game...

Discussion in 'Football Draft Forum' started by Joga bonito, Dec 1, 2014.

1. prolifik

prolifik Daniel James >>>

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If you're having a problem with tournament participation, that isn't a new phenomenon. They were fun when they were first introduced, but over the years they began to drag more and more. People wouldn't vote and the discussion in the threads became mostly nonexistent.

2. Tony_Adams

Tony_Adams Mr Arsenal

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Soccer manager worlds has taken over from drafting imo

3. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    The drafts have run their course imo.

4. Poet Gooner

Poet Gooner Whomever I draft will be underrated

Supports:
    Arsenal
    The problem with the drafts is not the drafting, imo. It's been the "winner selection" process. People don't enjoy voting, and voting results don't feel satisfactory.

Tony_Adams likes this.
  5. Berbasloth9

Berbasloth9 Registered User

Supports:
    Man united
    why not when all the teams are drafter just do a straight vote in the tactics thread and all just pick our 1 favourite like we kinda doing in this transfermarkt one

Tony_Adams likes this.
  6. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    For me, and some others, it's the drafting. Quite natural that picking the same players over and over has a limited shelf life.

7. prolifik

prolifik Daniel James >>>

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'm inclined to agree with this. There were a couple of years or so where it felt like 90% of the games were an excuse to recycle the same players, and that's when the fun factor began to wear off for me. I've tried to get back into them a couple of times, but for me at least that ship has sailed.

Minty likes this.
  8. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I'm pretty new to these and found the drafting process quite fun but it was off putting that the first draft I participated in didn't reach a conclusion.

I think I struggled with the 2nd one because of this (along with me not being all that clued up on worldwide modern football).

In terms of keeping the drafting fresh, would it not be simple just to say that you can't pick any of the players you picked in the previous draft?

9. Poet Gooner

Poet Gooner Whomever I draft will be underrated

Supports:
    Arsenal
    In a desperate attempt to revive the enthusiasm, would there be an interest a Football Manager 2019 draft? So, a draft like usual except instead of voting, we pit our players against each other on the Football Manager 2019 engine. I could run it as admin, and not participate as players.

I can see a few aspects that could keep it fresh.
    1. The talent pool, while not different to a modern draft, is at least standardized. So there isn't any space of subjectivity, as we're all working off the same database of players. Everyone can see how exactly each player is rated. This will also open up a lot of new possibilities. In a a usual draft, there is no incentive to pick a less popular player. However, in FM19, there's nothing stopping you from picking an unpopular player if he fits in with your style. I'm thinking of players like Inaki Williams who will never get picked in a normal draft, but his extreme pace can be useful as a later round picks for people who want to diversify their attacking options skill set. You can see the ratings of every player here: FM 2019 Wonderkids, Player Review, Profiles

2. Instead of voting, which people doesn't seem to enjoy doing, it'll be a nice change of pace to actually play it out on a game engine. Instead of just results, I could also upload the goal highlights on youtube and post them here for people to view. There's also the benefit of added gameplay before each week, as you'll be allowed to do basic tactical setup for your team.

3. Instead of one-off results, getting to compete on a weekly basis in a league and cup system, might provide more sustainable level of competitiveness and fun.

Obviously, such a draft would require people to be active at least a couple times a week, just to submit their tactic for their next game.