1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Northern Ireland problem? 2030

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Key Basher, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I see Northern Ireland have been rolled into the UK & Ireland 2030 bid that's being packaged together, given they have no stadiums over 40k (FIFA minimum) how is this going to work. Are they going to have to build a stadium especially for this or will they just host training camps?

Actually looking a bit deeper into it we don't seem to have that many 40k+ stadiums and the overwhelming majority are in England, going to cause issues for the bid surely.

The stadiums we can actually use (as it stands I know some new ones are being built anyway.

England
    Wembley (90k)
    Twickenham Stadium (82k) [Not a football stadium]
    Old Trafford (74k)
    Tottenham Hotspur (62k)
    Emirates (60k)
    London Stadium (60k)
    Etihad (55k)
    Anfield (54k)
    St James Park (52k)
    Stadium of Light (49k)
    Villa Park (42k)
    Stamford Bridge (41k)

Scotland
    Murrayfield (67k) [Not a football stadium]
    Celtic Park (60k)
    Hampden Park (51k)
    Ibrox (50k)

Ireland
    Croke Park (82k) [Not a football stadium]
    Aviva Stadium (51k)

Wales
    Millenium Stadium (74k)

Northern Ireland
    ???

The new Goodison would be big enough (52k) so maybe you could create clusters for group stages?

Glasgow
    London
    Liverpool/Manchester
    North East and Yorkshire
    Midlands and Wales
    Ireland

Then give a quarter each to each home nation (bar NI because they don't have a big enough stadium)

With semis and final at Wembley?

2. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    I didn't even know that there'll be a UK and Ireland bid for 2030? I always thought it was UK alone.

2030, that would be 100 years after the first ever (official) World Cup in Uruguay. So for "sentimental reasons" there should be a South American World Cup (Uruguay/Argentina combined?).

btw: I wrote (Official) World Cup because the Uruguayans(?) still consider their Olympic Wins 1924/1928 as World Cup Wins too, hence they are wearing 4 stars on their shirts (although Fifa don't accept this so they made the 4 stars a part of their badge)

3. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I imagine they would rennovate Ferney Park.

4. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    That seems to be the indication from the press over the past few years - there's no official bid yet but given both the UK and Irish governments are on board and the FAs are holding positive discussions that seems the most likely. UEFA are also strongly in favour of a joint UK bid.

I'm not with you on the sentimental reasons stuff I think it's about time it came back to Europe by then to be honest. Especially as the last time a properly European country hosted the event would be 2006 by that point. More than ample time.

To be honest I'd have thought the UK would have 30-40 stadiums big enough rather than a mere 19 (20 including Bromley Park)

I suppose the good thing about us putting in a bid for 2030, is the blueprint is there for us to have another go in a few years on a home nation basis if it doesn't win, so it increases the chances of us having a world cup here.

5. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    There isn't a bid at the moment. The only confirmed bids are:

Uruguay-Argentina-Chile-Paraguay
    Morocco
    Romania-Bulgaria-Serbia-Greece

6. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Whilst that's true, both governments have committed to the bid.

I'd imagine we'd actually wait until 2022 to confirm our bid plans when the bidding process opens.