1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OnGoing Migrant Crisis Mark Two

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brewer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Well you’re consistent with your views at least, I don’t agree but that’s the beauty of discussion

2. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

I cannot say I am proud of being English, or British, but nor do I have any shame in what things we did in the name of empire. I had no control over where I was born, and I wasn't alive for all the good or bad tings that we have done as a nation. Each to their own though.

FranniesTache and BoroWill like this.
  3. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    I don't feel personally ashamed of the Empire but i do think if i hear people talking about it affects my ability to be too nationalistic. The history of the atrocities carried out by the English (and i specifically mean the English) isn't taught anywhere near enough.

In general though i mistrust overt nationalism, nothing wrong with being proud of certain things but when you cross over to the sort of over the top overt nationalism seen in places like Hungry at the moment it's a scary world.

4. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    And don't forget Germany,Holland,Spain,Italy and France,all of who had overseas territories in their past and treated the local populations appallingly it wasn't just Britain.

5. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Yup totally, i'm half Spanish and think identically about my Spanish side too.

6. brewer

brewer Registered

Supports:
    Liverpool, Queen of the South
    I suspect that you have not read the whole report but have instead "selected" a bit that matches your bigoted views. Alan Manning also went on to say that they (the low paid) only account for 0.15% of "known" migrants & if you read on you will find that overall (see conclusion) that they contribute significantly more than they cost.

7. brewer

brewer Registered

Supports:
    Liverpool, Queen of the South
    Have to agree. My father had Palestinian & Irish parents & my Mother had Polish & Ukrainian (Jewish) parents but they regarded themselves as British born & bred.
    My grand parents all moved to the UK to escape persecution & poverty in the nations of their birth and managed to build very successful lived=s for themselves & raise families in the UK. As far as I know they regarded themselves as British.

8. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    And what bigoted views are they then numpty? Just because i don't agree with your views doesn't make me bigoted or racist,you even called me a paedophile in one of your drunken ramblings you're losing it big time! :laugh::laugh:

9. NorfolkSaddler

NorfolkSaddler Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Leave him to it. I can sense another sabitcal coming on.