1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Race To League One

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Panja, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Or, as some would have it, the official Championship Relegation Thread.

I must say that Wycombe have started how they mean to carry on, with the bookies not keen on taking anyone elses money who want to back the chair makers to make a swift return from whence they came, but surprise candidates, Nottingham Forest have nigh on sprinted out of the starting blocks, and either want to get the manager sacked post haste or miss playing Charlton twice a year.

Let the fun begin.

Addick By Nature likes this.
  2. Hugh Jerection

Hugh Jerection Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I don't ever remember anyone being relegated in October, and after 4 games. The table doesn't really reflect the form until at least 15 games have been played.

3. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Seriously? My bad, I thought it was October.

*Goes back to drawing board

Stan_Drews likes this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    It's The Chairboys.

5. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Seriously? My bad, I thought it was the chair makers

*Goes back to drawing board

Stan_Drews likes this.
  6. Stan_Drews

Stan_Drews Guest

It’s the bum boys

Panja likes this.
  7. Maple Triangle

Maple Triangle Registered User

Supports:
    Luton
    Will be very tough for Wycombe to survive. They would have looked at our game as one they might get something from, a local game and a team who were predicted to be amongst those fighting relegation. Must admit glad to get that game over. Their management and players antics during the game smells of desperation. Think Ainsworth spent the entire game standing next to the 4th official disputing every decision. Players going to ground, not just time wasting but trying to get our players booked. Pre match our fans were having bets on how long the game would last. Most ironic was their bench counting out loud every time we had a throw in. The gamesmanship isn't anything new but it seems to have worked for them up until this season. The quality they are up against now will require more than winding up the opposition.

As for us. Great start and we look a team with a lot of confidence in our own ability. Under Greame Jones we looked uncertain in all areas of the park, not to mention lacking self belief. GJ reminding the players and fans of the quality of the opposition didn't help. Nathan Jones on the other hand has the opposite approach and its clear to see the effect its having. Stoke up next, interesting!

8. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Is all forgiven with Nathan Jones at this stage then?

9. Maple Triangle

Supports:
    Luton
    Absolutely. Brave decision by our board bearing in mind the circumstances surrounding his departure. No doubt though that he and the club are a good fit. He's allowed to get on with his job and has the full backing of the board, players and fans. Often the case with managers. They can have a great CV but they don't always fit in for whatever reason. As was the case with Graeme Jones.

10. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Fair enough, just interested to see as it's hard to judge which everything behind closed doors.

Perhaps Graeme is a better coach then a number one, but to be fair to him it was a hard job with you losing some key players, it's just than Nathan Jones has come back and done unbelievably well really.

11. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I'm not writing us off after just 4 games. We have several important players for us out injured atm which hasn't helped and i expect at least 2 more players in on loan before the transfer window closes. Don't forget Adebayo "The Beast" Akinfenwa should be fit after his knee op when we return from the international break and your defences won't know how to handle him as many players in this division have never come up against a player as big and solid as him before :laugh::laugh:
    Ainsworth is still learning this division and we were unlucky yesterday but the officials denied us a pen before Kashket scored from an offside decision :angryfire

12. Maple Triangle

Supports:
    Luton
    And he's Welsh:D. Bit of a Welsh thing going on at our club recently. Signed Lockyer and the very impressive Norrington-Davies (only on loan unfortunately).

13. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Yeah, good to see a Welsh manager doing well, there isn't very many of them.

Yeah Norrington-Davies was with our academy until a couple of years ago, could definitely do with him now. He's got his first Welsh call-up this week, and I'd expect him to make his debut against England, as Ben Davies has been playing a lot for Spurs recently.

Lockyer played a big part in us qualifiying for the Euros, but needs to be playing regularly for Luton to get in the side as there's lots of competition there all playing regularly in the Championship - Rodon, Cabango, Mepham, Chester.

14. Maple Triangle

Supports:
    Luton
    Unlucky not to have lost by more than 2 goals more like.

15. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    How many times did your keeper save you?

BelizeHatter likes this.
  16. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    I dont quite share Maples full optimism. That could easily have been a draw yesterday. We've beaten a poor Derby, Barnsley and Wycombe and were a total no show against the only half decent side weve played.

So while im cautiously optimistic i do think things have just dropped well and i dont think we are full of confidence and quality. Bradley is playing out of his skin, Sluga showing why we paid big bucks and RND gets us back with (someone elses) decent full back with Bree on the otherside due back and at some point Lockyer to slot in for an equally playing eell Pearson. I feel we are still lacking one or two throughout the other areas despite Clark looking a good signing. We lack the something Diff in mid Jones keeps saying is on the horizon and need a Collo back up alternative.

However we look better equipped than last season on and off the pitch.

Nathan Jones. Hmmmmm. While having done an amazing job since hes back for me he sold his soul and will never have the same trust or love. To steal a quote 'some tart flashed her knickers at him and he was off like a shot, so how likely is it the wife trusts him around tarts.'

#16 BelizeHatter, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  17. Maple Triangle

Supports:
    Luton
    Apart from the two goals, two cleared off the line, Berry with three quarters of the goal gaping shoots at the keeper, Lee with Collins in an open goal position shoots instead. 16 to 5 shot count in our favour. You had one on target. Yet our goalkeeper saved us?!!! Blimey!

18. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Relatively happy with GJ down here as first team coach - seems to have fitted in well. But hard to evaluate I suppose what actual influence the different parts of the 'management team' have on the actual outcome sometimes - apart from specific 'defensive' or 'offensive' coaches.

Who knows how much Tindall helped Eddie?

19. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I didn't realise he'd gone to Bournemouth. Yeah, it is hard to tell really, but Graeme Jones was by all accounts incredibly highly regarded when he was with us as Roberto Martinez's number two. We had a lot of success at that time, the players have always spoke highly of him since and we tried to bring him in as manager twice but he turned it down, so on the face of it that seems a very good appointment.

20. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    my god you're a total twat, i know you're new on here but you don't half talk some bollocks :laugh: