1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Race To League One

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Panja, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I'd love to mate (I'd probably pick the same charity as well) but I genuinely don't have the money to be betting such an amount - especially on a club that, when all is said and done, doesn't really matter to me

2. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Not exactly had the hardest start to the season and still in the bottom 3. Could be fairly adrift already if it weren't for Wednesday's points deduction.

3. Millerbri

Millerbri Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    IMG_20201108_131225.jpg

If we go down at least we will be classy.
    UTM

BCFC Dave, paddock and Super_horns like this.
  4. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Wycombe and Luton have been joined at the hip for a while now and they have followed us a season behind.

We've run into them a lot over the recent past. They make up for what they lack - money - in endevour and finding a way via determination. At times it isnt pretty. But its been effective. I learned not to write them off a while back. Nobody else with their resources or quality (from financial constraints) would survive imo.

If anyone can its them. And very few others size wise. Its a tough jump from L1 for all.

Mowgli likes this.
  5. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Watford,Swansea,Norwich,Blackb urn and Milwall not a hard start? F*ck off! :laugh:

6. HappilyLost

HappilyLost Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    The main problem for the teams at the bottom now; is that from Nottm Forest upwards (barring Rotherham) everyone looks like they will tick along nicely picking up on average a point a game until the end of the season. That doesn't leave many teams for them to catch.

A gap is also starting to widen at the bottom, and if it wasn't for Sheffield Wednesday -6 points, the bottom 3 would already be 4 points adrift at this early stage of the season, I'm not sure that gap has opened up that early before like this. 4 point gap can quickly become a 10 point gap.

Derby could may well go down, better and bigger clubs have been relegated from this division in the past (Norwich, Southampton, Leeds)

Wycombe have given themselves belief with a couple of good loans (Knight, Everton Lad) and a quick 7 points. They will probably lose against Brentford, but then have a period of 6 big games against Huddersfield, Derby, Barnsley and Coventry. A lot of 6 pointers in those matches. They will still go down, but they aren't going without a fight, and in my view have already overachieved.

I haven't seen any of Coventry's games; but to concede 23 goals in 11 matches is relegation material. To need your side to score 3 goals every game to get 3 points is asking a lot.

7. DerbyFanMatt

DerbyFanMatt Persistant underdogs!

1/3 clubs going down. Who will join us?

8. Millerbri

Millerbri Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    I think we are getting into our stride now.

Two away defeats this week more than likely followed by two home defeats coming against Bournemouth and Brentford will see us in the bottom 3 .

Once there it's hard to get out, we have no firepower and too many players of a similar ability.
    We work hard and all the players are honest lads but a lack of creativity will be our downfall.

The trouble is, 5 of our better players are injured until at least January and what's left of the squad are all of similar ability so no-one is a stand out performer.

Add to that the January window will kill us, the big teams at the bottom will throw even more money at their problems.
    We won't because we don't go into debt and that's ok because we don't want our Club to go bust (again).

If we manage to stay up it will be a miraculous achievement, it's a big step up from league 1.

9. ForestRob

ForestRob Formerly roberth1117

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Our next five are Swansea, Watford, Reading, Norwich, Brentford. We might as well save everyone the time and effort and skip to the fixtures after that - I’ll be very surprised if we get more than a point out of those 5 games.

I think we’ll be ok in the end under Hughton this season but it’s a grim watch at present - not sure how we have so many decent players but such a poor team.

10. ForestRob

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Changed my tune - I’d be very surprised if there are 3 worse teams in the division than us - fully expect us to be relegated alongside Derby and Wycombe come the end of the season.
    We don’t even create chances in games, let so e score, and can’t defend.
    The are genuinely no positives about our side at present, and it’s hard to see us getting anywhere near 50 points.

11. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    I hope we get first refusal on Lyle Taylor when we pass Forest at the end of the season.

12. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    To publicaly tell him gfy i hope

#52 BelizeHatter, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Addick By Nature likes this.
  13. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Forest are too big to fail. Surely?........ like Sunderland Ipswich Pompey etc will be the cry.

But same argument in another thread on wealth and resources of middling to lower Prem teams means promoted Champ teams will struggle more and more. The drip down affect is that lower Champ clubs have vastly better resources than promoted L1 teams these days, so thats equally hard.

Us and Barnsley escaped by the skin of our teeth last season (and prob wouldnt without the covid reset) and Charlton did slip back. Its a tough ask for the promoted sides to stay up without several total trainwreck Champ teams.

The divide between each League will continue to grow unless the wealth in football is controlled and split out better

Mowgli likes this.
  14. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Forest have been to L1 already and took a few years to get out, no-one is too big for L1 these days. I’m never shocked to see anyone get relegated.

15. DerbyFanMatt

DerbyFanMatt Persistant underdogs!

The quality in this league by most teams isn’t good which says allot at how poor Derby are.

@ForestRob hughton will get it right for you I feel. He’s still finding his feet.

16. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    The only risk with Hughton is that he plays drab, pragmatic football. That might work if he walked into a team with a good attacking threat already but just terrible at the back for example. I watched Forest against us and today and it's just Hughton all over...the midfield duo of Yates & Colback is painful to watch.

If I was betting I'd back them to stay up because they're not awful at the back and do have some quality individuals, but I'm not convinced that Hughton will have the same effect on them as he did on Brighton. Although that may chance when he can bring in his own players in January.

17. ForestRob

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Yeah I hope so mate - it’s just hard to understand how we’ve become so irredeemably shit, with almost the same squad that finished 7th last season (minus Cash and Watson).
    As Ava said - we’re painfully bad to watch and I can’t see that changing until next season if we survive.

DerbyFanMatt and RedDogChris like this.
  18. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Very dissapointed in Hughton so far, I'm fed up of his negative CM line up each game now like that Bournemouth fan was referring too its really not helping. I feel if he keeps us up he still might be able to help us kick on but with what dross we are witnessing at the moment that's going to be a big if.

19. Johnson Says

Johnson Says Registered User

How's my guy Luke Freeman doing? Predictably poorly it seems

20. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford
    Looking like

Rotherham
    Sheffield wed
    Wycombe

But QPR are doing they’re best to join the party