1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Theatre

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Flip Duckling, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Faustus

Faustus 94% Deplatformed.

Supports:
    '
    Best way to start really is with something shorter with universal themes that are very easy to understand just by looking at what's happening on the stage or inspired by traditional stories you already know. I'd recommend Mozart's Don Giovanni or Puccini's Madame Butterfly as both are easy to follow and equally appealing to either a novice or a purist that's been to hundreds. Generally anything by Verdi, Mozart or Puccini are good as their works are widely appealing and regularly performed. It's always worth starting with something simple though if anything just because it gives you an idea what to expect and if you like it, more of an appetite to watch heavier, more conceptual, more abstract, longer operas that are exhausting even to the already initiated.

Generally most of the national/touring ones like the English National Opera, Welsh National Opera and Opera North are great to start with because they're more affordable, often (nearly always with the ENO) performed in English or at least with English surtitles and try to appeal to newcomers. If you can too it's worth trying to get an idea of what kind of staging it is, more traditional ones are much easier to understand than some modernist/abstract stagings that take a lot of artistic licence and don't always make sense or resemble the originally intended setting or plot. The first time I saw Wagner's Tannhauser the music and performance was great but I genuinely didn't have f***ing clue what the plot was meant to be until I saw a traditionalist staging rather than the post-modernist version I saw first at the Royal Opera. Despite the words and music you still have no idea what you're watching is supposed to be a myth set in medieval Germany when most of characters look like they walked straight out of a Balkans conflict era militia carrying mock AK-47s in ruined theatre that gets more destroyed as each act goes on.

Flip Duckling likes this.
  2. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The Book of Mormon is comfortably the best thing I have ever seen at the theatre. Every song is excellent, and every joke hits the mark.

Other good shows are Joseph and his Amazing Techincolour Dreamcoat (make sure to see it in colour), Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Phantom of the Opera and Chicago.

Planning on finally seeing the Lion King next mont, which is supposed to be excellent.

Rambo1 likes this.
  3. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I go to the theatre now and again, normally to see either a play or a musical. I've never done an opera yet.

I've been to some of the bigger shows, but I like going to the smaller ones, or outdoor shows too. I have seen MacBeth performed in the ruins of an old castle, which was really good, and probably my most memorable experience, along with seeing the Jersey Boys in New York. Even if it's something that's not up my street, like Hairspray or Top Hat, I normally enjoy it an appreciate the performance. It's always a good night out.

4. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    The wife goes to the opera a few times a year but now goes with friends. I don't particularly enjoy the trip in and out of London, so (football aside) it takes something special to get me there these days. I've enjoyed Carmen and a few others, for the experience as much as anything, but the most memorable was an opportunist Magic Flute in Icelandic on a trip to see the Northern Lights and some birds.

Used to enjoy plays regularly in my 20s and 30s, less since then. We have a couple of decent theatres in Cambridge and I've enjoyed some excellent plays but got out of the habit. Muddy Cows (John Godber's update of his "Up 'n' Under," this time about a women's rugby team) was the last I remember at that was at the Hull Truck Theatre on a birding trip to East Yorkshire.

5. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC mentality monster

Supports:
    USA
    I've seen The Lion King several times, and it's enjoyable every time. Should be a fun watch for you.

Apparently a big surprise musical on Broadway right now is King Kong. Never could wrap my head around how that makes any sense at all, but I guess they pull it off.

6. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    went to London with the mrs a few years back to the Theatre to watch the Commitments.............got pissed in Camden town in the day and slept through the lot.....paid £180 for tickets as well.

She was NOT i repeat NOT happy.

7. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Seen The Book of Mormon when I was in London a couple of months back.

It was fantastic.

8. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC mentality monster

Supports:
    USA
    Just got tickets to the 20th Anniversary Tour of RENT.