1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The thread for controversial opinions

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Rambo1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'm not sure why they have to be held to a higher standard when the men are shit.

Leivapool and gate17 like this.
  2. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    No it doesn't, just give me the best people for the job.

3. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Of course it does :laugh: We're an inclusive society, that should be reflected.

Leivapool likes this.
  4. caisterman

caisterman Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    All I know is Alex Scott is 100% better than the goons Chris Sutton & Danny Mills. They are stealing a living.

5. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    I'll give you that one. Alex Scott is useless but at least she's not a complete twat.

caisterman likes this.
  6. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Do people think a Premier League pundit should have at least played or managed at such a level (and well for that matter) - or does that not matter anymore?

In that respect, I do find it strange that Alex Scott is getting spots as an expert pundit for Premier League football matches. When the level of competitive football she has played is probably comparable to League 1, at a push.

7. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Not necessarily, I could imagine some journalists could make decent pundits.
    The US national women team gets routinely beaten by u16 american youth teams. That's not even close to League 1 level.
    So her football experience is a non factor and it shows, she's got the same insights as some random guy in a pub who played sunday league football for a couple of years. I assume it will get better with some media training and if she can bother to do some research and study the game but you'd expect someone to have to do that before getting a big job like that.

8. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Without wanting to be rude the USWNT lost to a bunch of u18’ players, I don’t think the woman’s game can even be compared to the men’s game.

9. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Yeah a lot of the ex footballers don't take it seriously, it's just a very well paid piss about for them. I would also rather hear from football writers who actually know their shit. Maybe you could have say a fan from both teams, a footballer & a football writer, something like that might work. But it's very clear that being an ex professional doesn't mean you'll be a good pundit & they often don't have much motivation to put the work in.

gate17 and Flip Duckling like this.
  10. Stevencc

Stevencc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Ex-footballers turned pundits are hit and miss, Gary Neville is at least decent whereas Carragher's most important contribution to the game since retiring has been in the form of a globule of spit.

You can't tar them all with the same brush.

epic37 likes this.
  11. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    Tbh I really really would get bored of having to endure two fans having "bantz" every single week.

Sorry but at this point I turn on games just at kick off, go off at it and switch off at the end.

It's full, it's boring. It's the same old every week.

The key person for me is the person sat beside the commentator.

You've Garry, moan and whine Neville. Or bitter as f Alan Smith, or hardly anything to over carragher.

Or god forbid mcmanaman... do fn dill.

12. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen 2017 Treble

Supports:
    Toronto FC, Stoke City
    I look at it as a lot of ex-players thinking they can manage.

Just because you were a great player, doesn't mean you can manage, or offer great insight on TV.

That's not a blanket statement, mind you.

Some of the my favorite pundits never came close to becoming legit professionals.

13. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    I'd have to see how the fans thing would play out, but it's more about having less ex players providing no value & phoning it in... Football writers make sense because they're often deeper thinkers about the game with better opinions... they're people who take pride in knowing their stuff (even if they don't) because they've forged a career on it. Obviously the better ones, not the transfer window liars. Also, commentators (the John Motsons) would be good in the studio as well, because they always research the f#ck out of the games they do & know their stuff, should be the same for the pundits.

McManaman is absolutely shocking isn't he, he's so bad as a co-commentator that he can give you a distorted view on the game's decisions, to the point you have to question what you've actually seen at the end lol. If he thinks it wasn't a foul it probably was & vice versa etc. Unfortunately, ex pros don't have to be good to get a job in the football media, they just have to hang around for long enough.
    Yeah it's a similar principle, actually being good at it doesn't factor into their decision making process... They retire early so they're stuck for something to do, & talking about football & going to big games free is a great gig so why not eh...

#17013 Ollie, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. grampus8myhamster

grampus8myhamster Registered User

Supports:
    Financial Fair Play
    I don't see what the issue is. I don't tune in to listen to a bunch of morons chat shit before during and after anyway.

Same with MOTD, fast forward all the talking, just show me the highlights.

They can put whoever they want on for all i care, I'm not listening to any of them.

That said, I don't think someone should get a job just to make sure boxes/quotas are ticked. Yes we are an inclusive society, but that doesn't mean someone less qualified/competent for a job/role should miss out just to reflect that inclusiveness. If you have two people going for a brain surgeon job, one is a woman/ethnic minority/whatever example you want to use - who isn't qualified/that good at the role, and one is top drawer at chopping up brains and that - you can't give it to the former just to meet a quota or reflect on society - you just can't.

15. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Hiring someone because they are female or of ethnic minority over a more qualified white male just to tick the boxes of being 'representative' is also sexist and racist. It amazes me that people do not see that. If people want equality, then whether they are a man, woman, black, white, brown, religious, bi, disabled etc.. should not play any factor. It should be 100% on their ability to do the job and whether they are the right candidate for that position.

Anyway, what bugs me the most when it comes to punditry is when two European teams are playing in the Champions League and we have a panel of players that only played in the Premier League and know naff all about European football on there. BT have no excuse given they have the Goals Show team that is entirely made up of journalists that cover football on the continent!

RedDevilsShinja likes this.
  16. Kirby

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    I also think giving different genders/minorities jobs to tick a box is about the most patronising thing you can do. I can't remember who it was but I saw one black coach on TV saying how his fellow minority coaches needed to stop moaning about a lack of opportunities and get their heads down and work for it. If they work hard enough and are good enough they'll get their chance.

Look at Chris Hughton. Probably one of the most respected managers in England at the moment who could have his pick of Championship jobs and possibly higher due to his achievements. He didn't get there because he was a top ex-player, he did his badges, worked as a coach/#2 and learnt the trade like everyone else. Today's society expect everything handed to them on a plate and IMO many use gender/race/whatever as an excuse to avoid hard work and to mask their inabilities.

RedDevilsShinja likes this.
  17. Kirby

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Great minds.

I would be deeply offended if I was given an interview purely on the colour of my skin. This whole 'Rooney Rule' thing in America doesn't sit right with me, although I do think institutional racism is much more of a problem in certain parts of America compared to England.

18. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Well the bunch of morons chatting shit is the issue, maybe you'd wanna watch if they weren't. As much as I try & avoid them I'm still subjected to shit pundits now & again. I'd rather turn on MOTM & not expect drivel as well, I used to look forward to it as a kid, it was an institution, but I rarely watch it now. Monday Night Football on Sky shows how it's done.
    Agreed. But I think it's such a low bar for punditry that I'd rather have the likes of Alex Scott in there... she's more likely to make an effort to prove that women can hang with the men cos she gets a lot of shit. In fact her comment about Messi/City was an attempt to go in depth, maybe trying a bit too hard but rather that than not trying at all...

19. Kirby

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    The fact she feels the need to post that gif to mask her stupid question just sums it up.

Stop using the fact you're a woman to mask the fact you're talking shit.

20. Kirby

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    And yeah she definitely tries too hard.

I watched her during the Women's World Cup and she was actually bearable as she knew exactly what she was talking about and relaxed. She's like an excitable intern presenting CBeebies when she's on Sky. Just take a breath FFS.