1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things You Hate About Modern Football

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by SE25, Mar 13, 2012.

1. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Surprise, surprise, United away on the telly again and guess who's co-commentator. :angryfire

FranniesTache and Minty like this.
  2. Redlar

Redlar Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fans who rationalize it out as being somehow OK, because the league is so much more important.

To be fair, Carragher gets on my wick too. Moreso than Macca even. And I am a scouser.

Pundits, bar just a few, are in general, absolute idiots who talk a load of bull.

Agree with this however, there is a growing number of people will tell you the EPL has been better for football.

I have argued elsewhere, that in the 25 years prior to the EPL, more English champions won European Champions cups, than those in the EPL era. Might as well add, England won a World Cup.

Clappers at Leicester need to go. Didn't know Bournemouth have them too.........

Assume they're are something you can whap against your thigh while recording the match on your phone.

3. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Football twitter.

FranniesTache likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    One thing I hate about the modern game is how stats are often misused, as well as the general overanalysing of the game. It's now less a matter of what you feel about a player and more about what you can demonstrate with stats.

I've had disagreements with friends over players a thousand times but more and more it's coming down to 'Yeah but his goal to game ratio is X.' or 'His pass completion is Y.'. Reducing players down to datapoints and a mathemathical equation makes me wonder what point there is in even discussing the game. Before someone starts moaning, that's not to say stats have no value or that they're even inaccurate, it's just the way people talk about the game in recent times has shifted and IMO become far less interesting.

If football is to become more a game of the head than the heart then I have no particular interest in it. I think this change is probably a result of the internet so people can boast about their knowledge by posting obscure stats and Sky punditry going into a maddening detail on the ins and out of every move in the game.

Cotterill:49 likes this.