1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello Guest. We'd appreciate your feedback on some proposed changes we have in mind for the Championship, League One and League Two forums. Please take a moment to read the proposals, and make your comments here: Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest. Please take a look at the following thread, and if at all possible donate a little to help our mutual friend Hazza at a very tough time:Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice

Ticket Prices

Discussion in 'League One' started by Daz_Blade, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    I'll get the ball rolling by complaining...

Bolton are charging away fans £30 for the first game of the season. Thankfully I'll be in Italy, but I wouldn't have been paying that for any game in League One. The sad thing is, I know we've charged £27 at some point too.

Football is nothing without fans, apparently. They're doing a good job of driving people away with prices like that.

2. Posh Josh

Posh Josh #pufc

Supports:
    Peterborough United
    £30 is just ridiculous. Ours at £23 in advance for an adult is bad enough. The only way to stop it is by not turning up. Simple really.

I very rarely buy an adult ticket anyway, got away with under 23 etc all last season...so I'll continue doing that. The max I'd pay is £20, anything higher than £20 then it'll have to be a big game in order for me to go. £25 + is just silly money for League 1 football.

3. Boubla

Boubla Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Extortionate. Not in the premier league anymore boys..

That said I don't think it will put any fans off going (this season at least) - new ground for most and a big club for this level.

4. Martinho

Martinho UTB FTO
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    I'm glad I've already been there a few times because there's no way I'd pay £30. Absolutely disgraceful.

It's about time there was a full boycott to get the point across. I doubt it will happen though because clubs know they can fleece fans, as a good percentage will pay any amount.

5. Milk

Milk Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    I hope there's not one single Blades fan in that stadium when the match kicks off.

It's a disgrace.

6. White Hind

White Hind Registered User

Supports:
    Bolton Wanderers, Gimnastic de Tarragona, NY Giants
    Reet....
    Firstly, I do agree £30.00 is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay that last season for Championship away games, anything that broke the 30 quid mark was my cut off.

But.... You arent telling the full story, you have 2000 upper tier, and 1100 odd in the lower tier. It says on your website that the upper tier must be sold first, that will be Sheff U insisting on that, not that I blame them, as if you ask for an allocation these days you have to pay for them up front.
    The Lower tier tickets are £28.00. Just bide your time and you will get a £2 discount!! (If it looks like a sell out, you'll get more, the South Stand holds just under 5000 and is away fans only.)

To be honest, there will only be you, Bury, Bradford and maybe Coventry, Oldham and Rochdale who will be using the upper tier, only gets opened when the away following is expected to be north of 2k +. So everybody else will be paying 28 notes. Still steep mind.

7. Martinho

Martinho UTB FTO
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    If everyone did that then the lower tier tickets would never go on sale.

8. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    Didn't the Prem introduce twenty's plenty? :cry:

9. White Hind

Supports:
    No. They capped it at 30.

10. Daz_Blade

Supports:
    The thing is, at prices like that I can't see how it can even sell 2,000. It's a game in the third tier.

The absolute maximum any club should charge at this level is £25. This thread isn't aimed at Bolton in particular, this is a general thing. I know we charged away fans £27 a few years ago for this level and quite frankly it's obscene. We've got a friendly against Derby in two weeks and it's £15! It just makes me wonder where it will end.

11. White Hind

Supports:
    Just wait til you get back up! Ipswich, Leeds and Wednesday were all in the upper 30s last season.

We, I think are all in agreement. I think 20 quid at this level isnt ridiculous. Our season tickets are really reasonable, I work away a lot, so cant make every game, but If I do two home games in a month its cheaper than buying on the day, its away fans and those that cant commit to, or dont have the means to get an ST that get stung.

12. Trev_GFC

Trev_GFC On Tour

Supports:
    Gillingham FC
    But surely that's more of a sign that your on-the-day prices are so disgustingly expensive! Season tickets should offer a few games for free as opposed to buying all 23 home games normally, but should also add value with priorities and other discounts.

Unattractive non-season ticket prices will just deter everyone else from going, leading so poor attendances and atmospheres. Plus little leeway on budget by the January transfer window.

13. White Hind

Supports:
    I get your point. Bolton categorize games, forgive me, we havent been down here for nearly 25 years, so im not sure if anyone else down here has the practice, Gillingham, for example, will be a category 3 or with it being close to xmas maybe a cat 4 (£15...for Bolton fans) the trouble is they dont announce the category of the game until tickets go on sale usually a couple weeks before. If we are doing badly, we will have quite a few cat 4 games(think our last 4 or 5 games last year were all 15 quid as we were terrible.) Despite it being our worst season for 25 years we still managed an average of over 15000, if we do okay we will match that this season, if we dont it will drop just below 10, regardless of price. So the club are trying, it is just the fleecing of away fans I have an issue with.

14. Daz_Blade

Supports:
    I've said for a while that if we get back up the amount of away games I'll be going to will dwindle. There's no way you can justify paying that money to watch average football.

I'm complaining about the prices but the more they rise the more money I'll save when I stop going :laugh:

15. Miles Long

Miles Long Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon
    I thought a club wasn't allowed to charge away fans more than home fans. So if Bolton charge £15 for their fans at home against Gills that's all they can charge Gills fans.

Anyway, once they've been down here a few years they'll get the hang of it.

16. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    It seems like it'll be cheaper for away fans in the Premier League than a lot of Championship and a few League 1 games next season.

We've capped our ticket prices at £20 for next season, and I don't have to go to a half empty stadium in Bolton either.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

17. Boubla

Boubla Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    I reckon most championship/ L1 teams could drop their prices if they got a few hundred million quid every year...

18. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    They could but they wouldn't. Look at Burnley, Bournemouth and the countless other examples that haven't done so.

19. Boubla

Boubla Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    The two you quoted will be full every game next season so they don't need to reduce prices. Bournemouth could probably sell out at double the capacity at the moment.

20. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    We're full every game as well, and have been since our promotion, we're in sure need of a stadium expansion and have been for the last five years. I'm talking about the subsiding of away tickets though and not home ones.