1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Toon v Wolves

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Acrylic, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Acrylic

Acrylic Registered User

I can't see a thread anywhere? So I thought I'd start one : )

Don't really get much tougher than this in this league, however it's a game of football, anything can happen. Head says 4-0 Newcastle - heart says 2-1 Wolves.

As for the team, God knows, after the Barnsley debacle I don't know where to start, Cav and Costa have to play, is Saiss ready yet? Silvio?

All I know is we're leaving tomorrow morning @ 7am, bring it on!

2. mapperleyred

mapperleyred Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Biggest game in the 2nd tier, Ever.

3. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford
    Last game Toon won 6-0....wolfs lost 0-4...its looking like a ten nil job....so ill go for a 1-0 away win !

4. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford

Wot even bigger than " Yeovil v Donny " four seasons ago ????

Ipswich1 likes this.
  5. mapperleyred

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Fair enough. Forgot that one.

#5 mapperleyred, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Ipswich1 likes this.
  6. Silas

Silas Fabulous patriot.

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Complacency is a real pain.

7. Silas

Silas Fabulous patriot.

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Or Burton v Brentford. That's gonna be a huge game.

toshj likes this.
  8. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Typical of both teams!

Silas likes this.
  9. Silas

Silas Fabulous patriot.

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I think it's gonna take Rafa and the team a while to adapt to the craziness of this league. I'm sure Wolves have played well but there's no doubt complacency has played its part.

10. Bonjers

Bonjers Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    Absolutely delighted with that.

Sounds like a class debut from Saiss. We've really needed a proper DM for a while now so hopefully he'll do the business.

11. aenima

aenima Cavalry? I've sh*t 'em.

Supports:
    Newcastle
    Well done Wolves, thoroughly deserved. Also best fans we've had at the ground so far this season.

Rafa's team selection has a bit to answer for. Gayle up top isn't working at home, especially with Diame behind him, who is all kinds of shit. It might finally be time to get rid of Dummett too - I'm a defender of his usually but he's had a bad start to the season.

12. mapperleyred

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Great win for the wolfs :clap:

13. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford
    Great result for the Wolfs, Toon are shite

14. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    You can't really call them shite when they are 3rd and won 6-0 the other day.

15. terrier4eva

terrier4eva Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    Well done Wolves :)

16. GABS

GABS Registered User

Supports:
    Yoouuu Bees
    It's mind games to gee us up for our visit to Toon in a few weeks from now!

17. SaddlerJack

SaddlerJack Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Fair enough, deano is doing a terrific job with you by the looks of things.

18. AimeeWolf

AimeeWolf Registered User

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Fantastic win, thoroughly deserved. Thought it was a really good game actually, Newcastle will feel they probably weren't at their best, but the reality is, we stopped them playing. Saiss was magnificent in the holding role, haven't seen a player have a better debut for Wolves in a long, long time. Costa terrified their defence every time he got the ball. Ikeme made two amazing saves too, the first one when it was still 0-0 was incredible.

We really needed that, after the disappointment of the previous two games. Hopefully we can kick on now.

19. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Ikeme - 8 - Quality when called upon. Made a stunning reaction save in the first half and then saved when Mitrovic went 1 on 1 (really should've scored). Made a few crucial claims from crosses as well.

Doherty - 8 - Back to his best after a shocking performance on Tuesday. The whole back four played really well collectively and Doherty gave Dummett real problems when he got forward. Linked up really well with Costa, nice play with Bodvarsson for the first goal and had one run in the second half where he nearly skinned their whole team but just lost it on the edge of their box.

Iorfa - 8 - Really composed performance from Big Dom. I admit I was feeling a little unsure about him at centre half after the Huddersfield game, the red card at Rotherham and his stinker on Tuesday but he was quality yesterday. Rarely troubled by anything Newcastle threw at him and part of a back 4 that looked like a solid unit.

Batth - 8.5 - Fantastic captain's performance from Danny. Organised the defence really well and put in a few crucial tackles. Him & Dom didn't put a foot wrong and snuffed out two quality forwards in Gayle & Mitrovic.

Borthwick-Jackson - 9 - How old is this boy again? Coolest head on the pitch. Up against one of the best wingers in the division in Matt Ritchie and he not only made him look average but also gave Anita all sorts of problems going forward. He just oozes class, that performance makes me so excited, not only as a Wolves fan but as an England fan as well. The kid can play.

Oniangue - 7.5 - Good performance from Prince, full of running, put in some strong tackles and picked some nice passes. Very rarely gave the ball away. Didn't get forward as much as I'd like to see him do but I think he could be a big player for us going this season.

Saiss - 9.5 MOTM - Dominant. Quick, strong, hard working, positions himself well, good eye for a pass and almost scored a lovely free kick which he bent over the wall left footed and nearly found the bottom corner. Really, really impressed by him, he was absolutely everywhere. Once I'd clocked on to just how good he is I spent a lot of time watching him specifically and he's such a clever player. He puts himself in the right places and every time a Newcastle player miscontrolled or misplaced a pass he reacted so quickly, you just see this old gold blur streaking across the pitch like a heat seeking missile. Part of the reason the back four looked so composed was that they had Saiss sweeping up behind them and slotting into full back positions if one bombs forward, it's something that Coady never does and it frustrates me so much. If we're going to do anything this season Saiss will be key and I think he's spot on.

Edwards - 7.5 - Pretty much a mirror image of Oniangue on the other side of Saiss, maybe a little quieter. Did really well to put pressure on Perez in the build up to the second goal.

Costa - 8.5 - He had Dummett on toast all game and capped off a quality performance with a really nice finish. It was in all the way. So much fun to watch him & Teixeira dance past players as if they're not there. Should've really scored in the first half but can't really complain about anything else. There will always be a few that moan about him not being hard enough but he gets a hell of a lot of kicks and doesn't let it effect him, just gets straight back up and goes again. He was given a standing ovation by the away fans when he was subbed off and fully deserved it.

Bodvarsson - 8.5 - Hero. Typical Jon Dadi performance. Battled all game against two quality centre halves who will have woken up this morning battered and bruised after he worked both of them over. He's just the perfect striker for this league and this formation. Hit the bar in the first half, put in the cross for the first goal and linked up really well with Costa & Teixeira.

Teixeira - 7.5 - A lot quieter than Costa on the other side but still managed to show a few flashes of magic. Some really good interplay with CBJ down the left hand side. Such a useful little player, he can play so many different positions for us, I'd like to see him play more centrally but Zenga likes this 4-3-3.

Cavaleiro - 7 - Useful little cameo but nearly gifted Newcastle a route back into the game when he put Mitrovic through on goal. When Newcastle pushed forward at the end we pretty much left Ivan up top on his own and he roasted them on the break a few times, really unlucky not to score after one run when he blazed over the bar. Another one who just glides past players for fun.

Mason - 7 - The right sub at the right time. Put in a lot of work and nearly had a good chance on the break.

Coady - N/A - Wasn't on for long.

The fans were absolutely class as well. A very, very happy (and hungover) Wolf today, which I didn't think I would be after Tuesday's debacle.

Dirk likes this.
  20. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    What a week! :laugh: Downhill and Uphill again, the Wolves way this season?