1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Hip Hop Albums

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jonny Ninja, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I've been a massive Hip Hop fan for the last 30 years though I have been generally disappointed with most of what has been released in the last 10 years (apart from Kendrick and MJ Cole). Most of the stuff I still listen to is around the mid nineties which imo is the golden age of hip hop since it all started. Was going to do a top ten but I just can't decide so my top 5 is:

1. Ready to Die - Biggie - One of the best rappers ever and his story telling is second to none. I like every song and what is unique is the lack of collaborations on this album. Biggie raps as 2-3 different people on some songs. probably my favourite album of any genre
    2. Enter the Wu Tang - Wu Tang Clan - I've not stopped listening to this album in 25 years. One of the most important albums in the history of the genre and so unique in its style with the samples of old Kung Fu films and stories of the street. It also inspired a generation of rap artists
    3. It takes a nation of millions to hold us back - Public Enemy - This got me fully in to hip hop when I was st school
    4. Section 80 - Kendrick Lamar - Great storytelling and quite a dark album. Love all 3 of his albums but this is probably my fav.
    5. Illmatic - Nas - Nothing to add on this, everyone knows how great this record is

Special mention to Doogystyle/blueprint/Reasonable Doubt/The Chronic/Liquid Swords/only built 4 Cuban Lynx/Muddy Waters/Good Kid Mad City/the documentary/midnight Marauders/Straight outta Compton/Jazzamataz

#1 Jonny Ninja, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    83royal and Cotterill:49 like this.
  2. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    I'm not a big hip-hop fan, but I do quite like the following albums

We Invented The Remix - Puff Daddy

The Notorious B.I.G greatest hits

Regulate G Funk Era - Warren G

All Eyez on me - 2pac

Bad Boys 2 Album

3. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Going to be showing my (lack of) age with my top 5, but in no particular order my favourite Hip-Hop albums are;

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d City: Whilst I agree with you that every Kendrick album is brilliant GKMC is his best for me. Hip-Hopera (:laugh:) at its very best. As an album it has everything for me. Can many albums claim to have three songs as good as M.a.a.D City > Swimming Pools > Sing About Me back to back?

Kanye West - The College Dropout; Love him or hate him, Kanye is a genius and this is his best work. Some absolutely incredible tracks on here. Jesus Walks, Through The Wire & All Falls Down are all overshadowed by IMO the biggest hidden gem in Hip-Hop - Never Let Me Down. Jay & Kanye both bringing their A game before J Ivy comes in and steamrolls both of them with an absolutely mind blowing verse. It's close between this & Late Registrations but this just edges it for me.

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free; Another example of Hip-Hopera (I LOVE that phrase). This album has Blinded By The Lights, Dry Your Eyes and Fit But You Know It - Three songs that are ingrained in this nations conscious and they're all connected to one story. You couldn't make a TV series and have 3 random episode become part of an entire countries culture, but Mike Skinner managed it with an album he produced pretty much single-handily

I've done such a bad job explaining what I mean :laugh:

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels; @johnny Ninja If you don't think there's any current Hip-Hop out there for you anymore then you need to go and listen to RTJ. Killer Mike and El-P go together perfectly. Whilst the three previous albums have had an overarching plot or funny skirs RTJ don't need that. It's just banging beats, dope lyrics and tight flows.

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2; That again. Also honourable mention to Meow The Jewels

4. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I do think that GKMC is his best album overall but Section 80 is just personal preference for me. It is the album that got me in to Kendrick and back in to Hip Hop in a big way

Always been a big hip hop fan since I was at school, I just stopped listening to a lot of the new stuff being released in the 00's as it just didn't match up to the music I was bought up on in the mid to late 80s and through the nineties especially. When you get to my age you tend to have a certain nostalgia about the old school tunes whilst dismissing the new stuff, I appreciate that that is part of the issue. I do think that the mid to late 90's were a real golden age of rap music. So many influencial artists like the Wu tang & biggie to name just 2. All the G-funk coming out of the west coast. Numerous great albums being produced by redman/Dre/snoop/tribe called quest/Nas/Jay Z/the individual members of the Wu Tang/Mobb Deep, I could go on.

As for Kanye, I'm just not a fan at all. For me he is one of the great producers and the songs I like best of his are generally songs he's produced for other artists such as his work on Blueprint. I appreciate why people like him but his flow, style and lyrics do very little for me.

I'll give some of the artists you mention a little listen

5. WARP

WARP Brassic 313

Supports:
    BHA FC
    Been a huge Hip Hop/Rap fan since '88

Top 5 [at this moment in time]

Bring Down the Walls No Limit Squad Returns [1991] - Silver Bullet

Fear of a Black Planet [1990] - PE

Dr Octagonecologyst [1996] - Dr Octagon

Deltron 3030 [2000] - Deltron 3030

Beauty & the Beat [2005] - Edan

Honerable mentions to far too many to mention.

83royal and Jonny Ninja like this.
  6. 83royal

83royal Registered User

**** me Dr Octagon! Havent heard him metioned in aaaaaages. Good shout

Hard to chose a top 5 but here goes.

1 - Outkast, southernplayalistikcadillacmusic
    Genius, along with all there other albums.

2- Das efx- Hold it down, not mentioned on many peoples top 5/10 lists. Brilliant album. Production was good. Books n Draze work too well together.

3 - Nas - Illmatic. No explanation needed, buy it and listen.

4 - Roots manuva - Brand new second hand. classic.

5 - Outkast - Atliens. Another classic from outkast. To be honest all there albums could've made the list

7. 83royal

83royal Registered User

Rass Kass "soul on ice" anyone? Really good album and the man is a beast. Also done some fairly recent stuff with Apollo brown

8. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    1. Fear of a Black Planet-Public Enemy
    2. Straight Outta Compton-N.W.A.
    3. Hypocrisy is the Greatest Luxury-The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    4. Sex Packets-Digital Underground
    5. Loc-ed After Dark-Tone Loc

All very much of the era when I got into hip hop. Could easily have just filled the list with Public Enemy though. Outside of that era Roots Manuva stands out for me, a genuine UK sound. Brand New Second Hand, Run Come Save Me, Slime and Reason....all good.

83royal and WARP like this.
  9. 83royal

83royal Registered User

yeah brand new second hand is a great album. Love manuvas style.

10. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I've been listening to an awful lot of hip hop in the last 9 months, and would completely change my top 5 from above. I've always loved the Wu but didn;t really listen to many of their albums back in the day, only the group projects and classics like OB4Cl & Liquid swords. I now own about 20 Wu Tang group & solo albums! I've also recently discovered MF Doom (who just happens to be British) and I can't believe how good his albums are between 2003 - 2006 where he has recorded 5 classic albums in well under 3 years. And that's not even including Operation Doomsday which is probably just outside my current top 5. My Top 5 would now be:

1. Madvillainy - I cant believe Ive only just discovered this album. Incredible beats from Madlib along with Dooms husky flow and crazy rhymes make this an absolute 1 off original album. Id recommend anyone in to Hip Hiop give this and operation doomsday a listen if they've not heard it before
    2.Ready to Die - for the same reasons as above
    3.Enter the Wu Tang - for the same reasons as above
    4. Supreme Clientele - I never really listened to Ghostface as a solo artist back in the day, but I am stunned at how many great albums hes produced in a 20 year period. This is my favourite Ghost album today but it is interchangeable with Iron man, fishscale & 12 reasons to to die. Along with his work with the Wu and his 2 co starring roles on OB4CL 1&2, I would confidently state that he is one of the most versatile rappers in the history of the genre, and his back catalogue is unsurpassed. He hasn't released a bad album in over 20 years.
    5. It takes a nation of millions to hold us back - Incredible album. Chuck D is one of the most under rated emcees in the game

WARP likes this.
  11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I've gotten into Run The Jewels over the last month. So good, so aggressive!

12. BB

BB Registered User

Supports:
    West Brom
    I had Madvillainy on when I read this post, great album, doom is incredible lyrically and it's definitely an album that gets better as it goes on.

I won't do a whole list cos nearly all the albums I'd choose have already been mentioned, except maybe Fugees/Lauryn Hill and Common, although Lauryn Hill does have a lot of singing on her solo album.

Common has a few really good albums, Be is probably my favourite, mostly produced by Kanye with a couple of Dilla songs so you'll like it if you like them, brilliant lyrically and Kanye has vocals on 4/5 songs and is really good on them, @Bleeds would probably like it a lot.

WARP likes this.
  13. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I've heard a few songs from operation doomsday and madvillainy over the years but didn't know who the artist was. ive had about 5-6 of his albums on constant play for the last few months and I'm so suprised that he is still relitively unknown other than hip hop heads. It's far from mainstream but there are plenty on mm food and op doomsday that could appeal to a wider audience. I don't suppose he's the easiest artist to market though

I bought the miseducation of Lauren hill for my missus about 15 years ago but I pretty much nicked it straight off of her.
    I've got be, it is a fantastic album. And as much as I dislike Kanye as a recording artist, he's a great producer. Also doughnuts by dilla is a quality album as well

WARP likes this.
  14. BleedsIsDead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    They're f*cking brilliant mates. They're also really good live, saw them at Reading a couple of years ago. Just proper Hip-Hop executed perfectly

Also if you haven't already, check out the more expensive items on their store. F*cking hilarious :laugh:

"The We Are Gordon Ramsey Package*:

Run The Jewels will self produce a new episode of Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, with Mike and El both playing Gordon Ramsey. We will travel to a restaurant with you of your choice, completely uninvited, and attempt to force them to change their menu. All the while verbally abusing and insulting the entire staff to hilarious effect. Also includes:

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers
"

Just the $150,000 :eeek

WARP likes this.
  15. BleedsIsDead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Also @Jonny Ninja - If you're a fan of Madlib then check out an album called Piniata, but a rapper called Freddie Gibbs & Madlib.

Doesn't quite touch on Madvillanry levels but it's very, very good.

WARP likes this.
  16. WARP

WARP Brassic 313

Supports:
    BHA FC
    only a few weeks old. Check it out & play loud

17. 83royal

83royal Registered User

Its good, I like it. Few tracks sound doom ish which isn't a bad thing. Remember when people thought he was nas,s alter ego

18. WARP

WARP Brassic 313

Supports:
    BHA FC
    This is decent. Last year

83royal and Jonny Ninja like this.
  19. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Been listening to their first album recently, really good. rebel INS has such a great flow, generally like most of his stuff from wu tang to czar face and his solo stuff, especially uncontrolled substance

Will have to give the other Czarface albums a listen

20. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Ive been listening to a lot of doom recently. I'm shocked at how many great albums hes released, and all in the space of about 18 months as well. Currently listening to vaudeville villain which has to be the best rap album that no ones heard. I actually think i like it more than madvillainy and mm...food

83royal likes this.