1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfers. . .January window 2019

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Lisbon 67, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    I don't think we have ever had two US nationals in our side never mind three.

Could be wrong but I can't think of a time in recent years anyway.

2. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

I think you know the answer to that. They have actually become worse in the last few weeks with their puff pieces. Almost old club Minty levels of garbage getting spouted at the moment.

3. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Maybe use the old favourite. .

'It was the company that offered him a contract not the club' :laugh:

Celtic Symphony and pvm66 like this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

As mentioned the other day, we are now top heavy on young players and prospects.

We need to balance things out now with experience.

5. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Don't hold your breath on that one. Atm it feels like we're being trolled by our own board. Regardless of perceived quality I think that unless we get a good signing in this window, at least one, then a lot of fans are not going to be happy and the atmosphere around the club will suffer.

I've been waiting to here the excuse from the club that as other teams know we have money they are trying to charge silly prices but I guess that one's for later in the window.

6. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I wouldn't count the American left back as a first team signing right now, he may be cover for Tierney I don't know but I think he's been bought to develop.

Bayo, Weah and Burke have all been brought in to make an impact right away.

I don't go for the ' we need experience line as much as some'. . . . I'd prefer the better footballer whether he has experience or not.

7. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

I think both those Americans are here just to see if they can cut it and don't expect to see either near the first team squad for games of any importance. Possibly also brought in for marketing reasons as well which a lot of clubs do.

8. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    The left back will be closer but I don't know if he's ready or not, he's been training with Chicago Fire and a few clubs wanted him. Gerrard saw him up close and rated him also.

Don't think there would be much marketing in a relatively unknown?

On the experience issue it depends how you define that, i'd say Burke is experienced.

9. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    In the two Americans work out, its great business... Chances are slim both will but its a market we should be all over.

The US national team is in a bit of a slump the now for some reason but I watch the MLS from time to time and I would have most teams in par with the English Championship these days.

10. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I would feel a lot more secure with a few more experienced faces about the place.

I think it’s important when push comes to shove.

11. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Said in reply to PVM it depends how you define experience.

For me Weah obviously isn't and you could only have one or two like that but Burke is IMO.

12. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Was meaning more if they make it but also to establish links etc. Which I'm sure we've already got but always worth a small gamble I reckon.

Lisbon 67 likes this.
  13. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Burke has only played, minute wise, the equivalent of 35 senior games in his career.

14. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

To which I should have added he's got a pretty decent scoring and assist record. Surprisingly good actually.

15. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I wouldn’t put Burke in the experienced category. Well not in terms of the sort of experience I would be looking for. I mean time served at a good level in the game having played consistently for a good few years.

I can’t remember what age Paul Lambert was when he joined us, but he is as good an example as any as to what I would be talking about.

16. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I'm talking the level he's played at. The Championship, then onto the Bundesliga and the Premiership. Also playing at International level.

I don't really see what you do different after 5 seasons at that level than you do after one season. I've also seen plenty experienced players bottle games etc. For me the likes of Tierney and McGregor have plenty experience now and both are young.

That's what I mean by 'it depends how you define experience.
    My thoughts on that above m8.

17. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It’s like anything in life.

You are continually learning and there will be mistakes you make in your younger years that you may not make some years down the line due to the experience you have gained.

There is the argument to say that if you are good enough then you are old enough, but for me personally I would prefer some older heads around the place with some leadership skills.

I think the best teams throughout the years have had that mix.

Lisbon 67 likes this.
  18. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Agree to an extent and you certainly couldn't have a team of Weahs.

For me the likes of Tierney and McGregor have enough under their belt now to know their trade and it goes back to the same points we make every window. I don't think you'll get the level of player people want if they want that player to be 28/29 etc and to have played at a level for years. These players cost a fortune and don't want to come to Scotland (in general). I know exactly what you're saying though and it would be great to get someone like that in but very difficult to get the quality with it in our situation.

Benkovic is an example, he's still young but has played at the top level in Croatia and played Champions league. That's experienced enough for me and although he went for big money I think that's what we have to target..

19. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    Reports Celtic are set to offer Olympiacos £4 million for Norweigen RB Omar Elabdellaoui.

Has 35 caps and plenty of experience, Vice Captain also for Norway.

Fits the bill of what we are looking for.

20. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Reports they have doubled their asking price to £8m and that he wants to stay with Olympiacos. Other reports stating Atlanta want big money for Castagne and his agent saying he wants to go to Germany or England if he leaves.

This has happened for years, not saying the deal is dead but it again shows the position we are in, trying to get a certain level of player (around £5-£6m) to come to Scotland. Some of our support simply think that we have cash so go and buy a player.