1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tynecastle Park - Heart of Midlothian

Discussion in 'Grounds Guide' started by Digital Twisted, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Digital Twisted

Digital Twisted Persistent & Explicit

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    Ground Name: Tynecastle Stadium
    Capacity: 17,400 (all seated)
    Address: Gorgie Rd, Edinburgh, EH11 2NL
    Pitch Size: 107 x 74 yards
    Club Nickname: Hearts or Jam Tarts
    Year Ground Opened: 1886
    Undersoil Heating: Yes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's The Ground Like?

The ground has improved greatly with the re-development of three sides of the ground during the 1990's. The Roseburn, Gorgie & Wheatfield Stands, are all good sized single tiered stands, that are similar in design and height. Only the Main Stand on one side of the pitch, remains of the 'old' Tynecastle. Originally completed just after the First World War, it looks somewhat out of place amongst its shiny new neighbours. It is two tiered, smaller than the other stands and has a fair few supporting pillars. On top of this stand perches a model of an owl, which is there to help deter the presence of other birds to the ground.

Future Developments

The Club have announced ambitious plans to re-develop the Main Stand side of the ground. The £51m development will not only see a new 10,000 capacity stand being built, but new dressing rooms, media & conference facilities. In addition a hotel is to be built on the site, as well as a conference and exhibition hall, offices, gymnasium and some residential apartments. The new stand will be two tiered and will also include 26 executive boxes. The upper tier will be semi circular in design, similar in to existing stands at Wembley and the City of Manchester Stadium, although on a smaller scale. The Club hoped to commence work on the project in Summer 2009with the new stand ready for the start of the 2010/11 season, but are still waiting on the Council planning permission procedures to come to a conclusion. The stand will boost the capacity of Tynecastle to 23,000 with further expansion capabilities for up to 35,000.

[​IMG]

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?

Away fans are housed in the Roseburn Stand at one end of the ground, where up to 3,676 supporters can be accommodated. Clubs with a small following may find that a smaller portion of this stand is allocated. The steep slope of the stand ensures a good view of the pitch and the facilities on offer are good. Apart from the Old Firm games and local derbies against Hibs, the atmosphere can be lacking like at all grounds.

However in the bigger matches, especially European nights, the "tin can" design of Tynecastle creates an atmosphere to match any club in Europe, even stadiums with far higher capacity. Even the likes of Franz Beckenbauer has commented that Tynecastle rivals the other major stadia around Europe for atmosphere.

Where To Drink?

The Station Bar in Gorgie Road to the west of the stadium always has a warm welcome for away fans. Ryries and The Roseburn Bar are also good pubs for travelling support and are within 10 mins walking distance of the ground'

Any neutral visitors should of course visit the legendary Athletic Arms. Other notable bars include the Tynecastle Arms, which is only a corner kick away from the ground and among the memorabilia on display is the Jersey worn by Super Wayne Foster when he scored the winning goal Against Hibs in a cup tie a few years ago. The bar is located on Gorgie Road and gets very busy on match days, so get there early'.

My favourite pub near to the ground is the Athletic Arms (Now that Robertson's is closed). The pub, nicknamed 'Diggers' as it overlooks a graveyard, serves great beer and has great service. In fact it's not unusual to see fans just ordering with their fingers, as when you just indicate, two, three, four, the barman knows that you just want their excellent ale.

Other pubs of note are Stratfords on Gorgie Road and The Haymarket in Haymarket, 10 mins walk from the ground.

How To Get There By Car & Where To Park

Follow the M8 towards Edinburgh. At the end of the M8 take the A720 (Edinburgh By Pass) southwards towards Dalkeith. Leave the A720 at the junction with the A71 and follow the A71 into Edinburgh. You will eventually reach the ground on your left. Street parking is very limited in the immediate area, and will be difficult to find if you aren't from the city, so it is recommended not to travel by car unless you wish to use a pay car park, charged at the standard rate of up to £10 for up to 4 hours.

For a map showing the location of the ground click here

By Train

The nearest train station is Edinburgh Haymarket, which is around a 10-15 minute walk away from the ground. You can see the ground as you come into the station. On leaving the station turn right at the Ryries pub, into Dalry Road. Dalry Road runs into Gorgie Road. About one mile on and the ground is visible from the first major road junction/set of traffic lights.

Admission Prices

The club operate a category system for matches (A & B), so that admission prices are varied dependant on which club is being played.

Home Fans:
    Platinum:
    Cat A - £34, Concessions £24
    Cat B - £28, Concessions £18

Gold:
    Cat A - £30, Concessions £18
    Cat B - £24, Concessions £15, Under 12's £7

Silver:
    Cat A - £27, Concessions £17
    Cat B - £21, Concessions £14, Under 12's £7

Bronze:
    Cat A - £22, Concessions £13
    Cat B - £15, Concessions £10, Under 12's £7

Away Fans:
    Roseburn Stand (Upper Centre): Adults £30 (£24), Concessions £18 (£15)
    Roseburn Stand (Upper Wings & Lower Tier): Adults £27 (£21), Concessions £17 (£14)

Category A games: Celtic, Rangers & Hibernian.

Concessions apply to Under 18's, over 65's and students in full time education.

Programme & Fanzines

Official Programme £2.50
    No Idle Talk Fanzine £1.
    ATB (Always the Bridesmaid) Fanzine £1.

Ground Layout

[​IMG]

As of the 2009/10 season, the lower tier of both the Roseburn and Gorgie Stand have been re-allocated as "Bronze" sections instead of "Silver".

Disabled Facilities

A number of wheelchair spaces are available along the walkways of the Gorgie, Roseburn & Wheatfield Stands. These also include provision for one helper per wheelchair space. Disabled fans are admitted free, although helpers are required to pay (Category A Matches £15, other matches £10). Access to these stands is via lifts situated in the Gorgie & Roseburn Stands.

A limited number of seats for ambulant supporters are made available in the Main Stand which cost £15 for Category matches and £10 for other matches.

#1 Digital Twisted, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa Eastend, Bounce Around!

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    A nice looking proper Football Ground, looks like Upton Park, I never realised until I looked on Google street view how close it is to Murrayfield.

3. BigBlueMachine

BigBlueMachine CHAMPIONS

Supports:
    Rangers, Man City, Linfield
    Its like a 5 minute walk from Murrayfield

4. Digital Twisted

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    Yeah what he said ^.

That's why we play bigger European games there. Though I do wish we could get the stadium sorted so we could just stay at Tynie. The atmosphere at Murrayfield is gant.

5. 51andCounting

51andCounting * * * * * +1

Best SPL stadium for atmosphere in my opinion.

One thing that annoys me about Tynecastle though is the seats behind the goal that have lost their colour. When are they going to get they seats replaced, it looks really cheap and it's been like that for years.

6. Rocky Balboa

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I've noticed that while watching SPL games on Setanta.

7. Digital Twisted

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    Replacing them would purely be for aesthetics, and considering the current financial climate, it seems a bit daft to spend thousands replacing seats, just because they've lost their colour a bit.

I would imagine, if the council ever get round to giving us planning permission they would do it when the builders are already there and could just spend a couple of hours doing it one day.

We have replaced dis-coloured seats in the past, so I'm sure it will get done eventually.

8. Rocky Balboa

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I'm up in Glasgow in August, I'm hoping to pop over to Edinburgh while I'm up there, I'll have a look at Tynecastle if I do.

9. AJP-DAFC

AJP-DAFC Registered User

Supports:
    Dunfermline Atheltic and Doncaster Rovers.
    Easter Road (hibs) is also a nice wee ground.:thumb

10. Digital Twisted

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    If you like vile cretinous holes.......

11. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    It's a very nice ground, shame I couldn't go.

Was going to take a trip down there for a game (was up there for a weekend in Nov. When Scotland played South Africa in rugby).

Very disappointed no one else wanted to go :(

12. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Easy to get too, decent stadium but the main stand is in dire need of an upgrade.

13. CelticBhoy1990

Supports:
    Celtic
    I played there with my boys club. I played great the whole game then missed a penalty - Boo

smaller pitch than i expected and professional grounds are like sanded down or something i got gramp easily on it. not as soft ground as public parks

14. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Great atmosphere in tyncastle, love going there.

the redevelopment will be good for the club and i cant see any problem with them filling the stadium.

But still second to tannadice ( dundee utd ) on my favourite away grounds.

15. AJP-DAFC

AJP-DAFC Registered User

Supports:
    Dunfermline Atheltic and Doncaster Rovers.
    I have to agree, even though I dislike Hearts ( a lot of my friends support them as they wanted to support a team that wins a lot and dont want to be called glory hunters supporting Rangers and Celtic but they should support there local team the mighty Dunfermline Athletic) Tyncastle is a great ground.

16. Abbomf

Abbomf Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    Nice thread, this looks pretty much like a perfect football ground:clap:

17. MuzDee

MuzDee Bring It On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supports:
    Dundee FC AFC Wimbledon
    I can see my flat from that 2nd pic if you zoom in you can see my Albert Kidd shirt.

18. Digital Twisted

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    How sad that 23 years later you still have nothing to shout about but stopping another team winning the league.

Pathetic.

19. MuzDee

MuzDee Bring It On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supports:
    Dundee FC AFC Wimbledon
    Living in Edinburgh you guys bring it up every day. My missus family bring it up all the time season ticket holders at Tynecastle may i add bring it up so it looks like you guys have nowt to shout about apart from you are millions upon millions in debt and have a piss poor team where as my team are debt free yes in the 1st div for now but will be back. I actually went to tynecastle for the pre season friendly with Bolton and it was clear to see Hearts needed a striker sorry re phrase a striker that is less than 100 stone lol. Looks like Romanov may get bored soon and leave time to get the SOH buckets back out but i better not say that too loud for where i live. Speaking of which how is the redevelopment coming along haven't had much news about that through my door lately.

20. Digital Twisted

Supports:
    Hearts, Liverpool
    My team has won two Scottish cups in my short time on this planet and got to the qualifiers for the Champions League, what have your team done?

You mean that debt that is owed to the people who own us? They owe the money to themselves it's not real debt.

A blind african who's been living in a cave could spot that last season, never mind in a pre season friendly this year. Good detective work there Columbo.

It's easy to make up rubbish.

The SOH worked exactly as it was supposed to, so there's no reason it wouldn't again, and the "latest news" is that the planning application, is still with the council's planning department, so ask them.