1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Uefa Champions League & Europa League' started by Dirk, Jun 24, 2018.

1. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Whoever you say I support
    I think people are underestimating Spurs here - Poch will have them set up well and they’ll be a tough nut to crack for Pool, and with players like Son, Eriksen and Moura who are all bordering on world class they will always have a chance.

I think Pool will win, but it’ll be a close, edgy encounter.

2. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Not really had the chance to comment on this match seriously because quite frankly I am petrified of what may happen :laugh:

But looking at it, there is massive pressure on Liverpool to win this game. Spurs have hardly any on them. They weren't expected to get this far, they are a club working on modest resources, it's their first ever final which they are just going to enjoy.

Liverpool are returning finalists, without argument one of the best sides in Europe (probably top 5, even 3 at the moment), just finished 26 (TWENTY-SIX) points ahead of Spurs in the league and had a summer of big investment. And that's before you get to the mental scars....they've lost their last 4 cup finals, Klopp his last 6 finals. And then, add to that trying to avoid a potless season after such a impressive league campaign.

Are Liverpool going to own the situation or crumble again?

JaseTheVillain likes this.
  3. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    The one thing this Liverpool side haven’t shown any sign of doing is crumbling. As Klopp said after the Barca win, the players are mentality giants.

If Spurs want this Trophy then they’re gonna have to properly earn it.

SALTIRE likes this.
  4. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    It's only football. Not that important.

The Doc likes this.
  5. Gunner Greig

Gunner Greig *Arsenal F.C*

Supports:
    Arsenal F.C
    It really is important

Richard likes this.
  6. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Not sure about that, they were 7 points ahead of City and then proceeded to draw against some very average teams and look pretty average in those games.

There is still very little experience in that team of actually winning anything, and not sure they have often been under pressure to actually win something, they did so well against Barca party because no one expected them to turn it around so just played with freedom, its a completely different scenario when people are expecting you to win.

Anyway, did not know Klopp has lost 6 finals in a row, that is one unlucky run.

Stevencc likes this.
  7. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I'm pretty sure it was a tongue in cheek response and aimed at that specific poster who's said similar on a few occasions.

Richard likes this.
  8. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    A dip in form is to be expected for any team, I’m not sure you could label such as ‘crumbling’. How many times this season did Liverpool score important late goals to win games? They’ve shown they could keep their nerve time and again, and were only slightly bettered by a side with far superior depth to their squad.

With regards to the Barca game, what about when the score was 2-3, 3-3 and 4-3 on aggregate? Those were times when they were expected to go on and do the business, and they did a completely professional job on Barca until the final whistle.

9. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    You're absolutely right. It's a shame jokes and sarcasm don't come across a screen very well :shrug

10. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    If we don’t concede within the opening half an hour I’m so confident we will win this

11. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Hopefully the lads will do themselves justice & put the ghosts of last season's disastrous final to bed. I thought Leverkusen had it bad when they lost the CL & German Cup finals, & were runners up in the Bundesliga all in one year, but runners up with 97 points AND losing 2 consecutive CL finals would be harsh as f#ck. They really should have something to show how good they were in years to come, but they have to earn it.
    Yeah let's just sweep aside the fact that we won our last 10 in a row with the lead at the top of the table changing hands twice a weekend a lot of the time during that period, so the pressure was clearly handled. It didn't matter if we played before City or after them, we won when the pressure was highest. We had our dip like every side does though the course of the season, in fact we had that lead cos City had just had theirs. Dunno if you missed the 4-0 vs Barcelona but it's pretty strange to question the character of this LFC side tbh!
    Will you have had any worse weeks as an Arsenal fan if Spurs win? :laugh: Big banter shift if they win the CL before you lot.

DeadlyDemon likes this.
  12. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    The banter (I ****ing hate that word) from them would be on another level. But the thing I keep telling myself is this:

They won the FA Cup first
    They did the Double first

Who has more? Not to mention winning the league more times at their ground then they've actually won the league. So, you know, this will probably even it out.

Hopefully history continues to repeat itself and we end up winning it multiple times over the next couple of decades :laugh: I'd take that if they win it first! I mean look at Liverpool....United won the European Cup first but who has more?

13. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Yeah you never know, Arsenal don't look like winning a CL in the near future but things change fast.

I wouldn't place too much stock in the points disparity you were on about before btw, Spurs have underachieved in the league. If the final is anything like the game at Anfield it'll be touch & go who wins, they coulda won that one & they deserved a draw. Their work rate matches ours which isn't ideal.

I believe in this LFC team, & I'd be backing us if it wasn't ages since our last game... But I've seen us drop points after both our mid season foreign training camps so I'm not sure if we'll be on it. I think we had like a fortnight's rest before we played Leicester & it was inexplicably one of our worst performances of the season, totally flat. Dunno what occurs at these things but it is a cause for concern.

But f#ck it, Liverpool 4-1 Spurs. ;)

14. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Joe Gomez
    Exactly this. Klopp has a favourable record against Spurs but they do tend to be close games as they can match Liverpool for fitness and do have the quality to hurt.

15. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Really? Where did you live in the last few years? I mean, it's mentioned everywhere when Liverpool is in a final in the last few years (only the numbers of finals lost in a row increased ;) )

Anyway, this year is the year where the curse will be broken. If not...then next year ;)

btw: I really hope that this place (I mean the CL thread) is deserted from Liverpool fans when the match is played because they're so excited in front of the TV and fascinated by the ongoings of the match that they cba to post one-liners like 1-0 Salah, 2-0 Firmino etc ;)

Viel Glück, Jürgen! Du schaffst das diesmal!

Taffy likes this.
  16. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Reverse Istanbul on the cards in that case! :whistle

17. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Plenty of scousers on the ferry over to France. Already in good spirit.

King_Kenny likes this.
  18. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Madrid supposedly jam packed with Liverpool fans already, enjoy your trip mate.

Allez, Allez, Allez

SALTIRE, miss_lfc and DeadlyDemon like this.
  19. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    A repeat of the City v Spurs quarter-final in terms of entertainment please.

If Spurs can nick an early goal it could be chaos. Fingers crossed.

20. Stevencc

Stevencc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think the longer it remains goalless the better - for those hoping Spurs win.

Liverpool are expected to win and will have to start fighting mental battles the longer the game isn't already in their favour.