1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEFA Champions League 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Uefa Champions League & Europa League' started by The only Greek here, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    First time Madrid have had no shots on target in a Champions league game since records started .

And weren't PSG missing Mbappe and Neymar ?

Ajjaro likes this.
  2. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Went to Dinamo Zagreb Vs Atlanta tonight as the gf is Croatian (don’t get me started on the World Cup) and we’re visiting the parents.

Cracking game, Dinamo are a very good team, especially going forward. Atlanta don’t really have anything to offer, their defence is a joke. Good fans though.

Anyone been to Dinamo’s stadium? I never thought I’d see worse than the Rovers stadium but f*ck me, it’s possible. Really not sure how UEFA cleared it, never mind the amount of EU laws it must be breaking.

Donnyrovers90 and Jezza like this.
  3. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    loved him at City but his transfer paid for Zabaleta

4. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Could PSG be on to have a proper go at the trophy this season, or are Real Madrid just shit.

I think it's more the latter...

5. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Joe Gomez
    And Cavani.

6. Dugout-Demon

Dugout-Demon Aww-You-Beauty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    So what, come and get it.

7. Dugout-Demon

Dugout-Demon Aww-You-Beauty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Nothing to worry about in both leagues.

8. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Yeah an English team should definitely be winning this again.

Real are all over the place, Barca (as shown last season) are fragile defensively, Atletico can beat anyone on their day but still not on the level of Man City/Liverpool, Bayern are a club in transition while PSG are a team of individuals playing in a pub league. I'd probably give Juve the best chance simply because they have Ronaldo and everything he touches seems to turn to gold. Still can't really see it though.

9. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    I think it is quite open.

Liverpool are the best fit for an English side to win but retaining the trophy is difficult. City are not as great in Europe as they are in the Prem, Spurs seem to be struggling to find their best form, and Chelsea do not have the squad to win it. So i do not think it is cut and dry for an English team to win it.

PSG i think will be a more solid team this year with the defensive midfielders they have brought in, i think Barcelona will improve as the season goes on and Messi comes back into full fitness. Juve are still getting used to Sarri's system and might be better come the knockout stages. Atleti will be tough to beat over two legs, and i still believe Bayern will be dangerous despite being in transition.

In fact i think there could be a few sides that surprise us this year. RB Leipzig could catch teams cold under Naggelsman, Dortmund are dangerous, Ajax are still dangerous even though they have lost some key players, Napoli showed they can be tough customers too, Inter will be difficult to beat under Conte.

Dirk likes this.
  10. Eaman

Eaman Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona
    Did you see how bad inter were at home against slavia. Probably the worst performance I've seen from a supposed good team in the champions league. They will need a massive improvement to even get 3rd in the group

11. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Yes, but i also saw Tottenham almost go out after four games and still make the final last season. I do not think you can base everything off of one game

The Doc and Dirk like this.
  12. Dirk

Dirk HA-ES-VAU

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Exactly. I don't count Liverpool's loss in Napoli (didn't they lose it last year, too). They'll be a contender again. ManCity, too.

me, too. The Premier League sides are the ones to beat but I think for Liverpool it's the Premier League this year that matters the most and as you said, retaining the trophy is difficult, only Real Madrid have done it so far (*edit: After introducing the Champions League format in 1992/93, of course)

It's not that they suddenly play with youngster all over the field. They lost Robben and Ribery but those two were more injured than fit over the last years and I think with Coman and Gnabry they have good replacements.
    Yesterday's 3-0 (with a Coman goal) should've been a 5-0 or 6-1 tbh, they were dominant against Red Star the whole match. Coutinho made a very good match and nearly scored a beauty. Even Lewandowski scored ;) (btw his 61st goal in Champions League) and Thomas Müller, too (his 43rd). Will be interesting to see how they play in London in 2 weeks time.

Leipzig still unbeaten under Nagelsmann but they're still newbies in European games. They're improving but I don't think that they'll go further than the Quarterfinals (yes, they should reach the knockout rounds in this group with ease)
    Dortmund is improving too from last season and they were dominant against Barca. But the high amount of wasted chances worries me a bit.

++++++

btw: Leverkusen useless (as always) yesterday. Although you could already see it when they lost 0-4 against Dortmund last weekend but losing against Moscow at home ?:enditall . In this group with Atletico and Juve this is nearly already the end of the campaign. Nearly...

#492 Dirk, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    I quite fancy Bayern this year.

14. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Yes he was decent but it was a dull affair tbh, good night for us results wise though. We DO miss Franck and Arjen though, it was commented on yesterday in the bar.

#494 zippy, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It’s always hard to replace such high quality instantly. I think Coutinho was a great bit of business though and he’ll do very well.

zippy likes this.
  16. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Can't hear you from Kazakhstan!

Philip The Frog likes this.
  17. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    I agree, this year's Champions League is very unpredictable...

Liverpool is looking to be the best on paper.

City is being backed by pundits.

Juventus revamped their squad and they have Ronaldo, who at 35, is eager to win a 6th CL title.

Barcelona are always favorites, they always have a good squad and players who walk into every team's XI.

Bayern also changed their squad, brought in some reinforcements, they can go for it.

Not to mention you can always expect suprises from teams like Tottenham or Ajax.

18. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Yeah but we'll probably won't play as good as a unit with them on the pitch. Quite the conundrum.

Real were awful. We barely tried to score goals. That's how bad they were.

Those stupid comments from naive english fans who are only interested in their beloved Premiership really make me laugh.

1) Watch the game last night and you'll see that we didn't play like a team of individuals;
    2) So Ligue 1 is a pub league? Got any evidence to back this up? How about Lyon winning at City a year ago? And that's just off the top of my head.

Dirk likes this.
  19. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Nice to see Real Madrid get snotted.

SALTIRE likes this.
  20. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    :laugh: :gotcha