1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEFA Champions League 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Uefa Champions League & Europa League' started by The only Greek here, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I dont suppose Kieran Trippier will be particularly enamored with the draw ,but for me its one of the least ominous we could have got abeit from Atlanta obviously. Happy we avoided Real and didn't fancy the obligatory banana skin in Lyon.

2. Casanova85

Casanova85 Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester United
    Unless it's Mou parking the bus!

3. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Happy with the draw tbf, I'd back us to beat Chelsea on current form.

4. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Battle of the bald frauds!
    Woulda loved Lyon, they're shite. Atletico have a lot of quality. Gotta back Klopp to proceed to the next round as he doesn't lose European knockouts & he's built a well balanced winning machine... but it'll be tough. Felix etc have started playing well recently. Hopefully the Simeone sign a badly needed new striker in January. They're linked to players like Cavani & an AM; Olmo who would be good additions.

5. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I have bad memories of playing French sides mate ,they're either shite like you say or they can play you off the park. I still remember going the semi final in France when we played PSG in the cup winners cup and they destroyed us. I remember being battered by Strasbourg in the UEFA cup and Marseille knocking us out of the Champions league in 2004.

6. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Overall a good draw i say.

Real Madrid vs Man City- On paper the standout tie of the round. I think City have the better squad overall, but they seem to struggle more in Europe where the fear factor they have in the Prem is not present. Real under Zidane always seemed to find a way to get through these ties in previous years, but they have lost the clutchness of Ronaldo since then so who knows how they will do without him. Madrid have gotten better since the start of the season, and given the way City struggle when teams really go at their defence this season i think the Spaniards will edge it.

Dortmund vs PSG- I am very much looking forward to this. Despite some poor performances at times this year, BVB are still a very dangerous side and dark horses for the title in my opinion. That said if PSG can keep their front 3 fit i believe the firepower will be too much for Dortmund who have had their defensive issues this year. Of course there is always a chance PSG could choke...

Atletico vs Liverpool- This tie would have been fascinating if it was the peak Atletico under Simeone. They were the best defensive side in Europe then and could have stifled this Liverpool side over two legs. This Atleti side is not as solid that one however, and i think this Liverpool team is the best in the world at the moment. I fancy a stalemate at the Wanda with Liverpool winning the return leg

Chelsea vs Bayern- This is another matchup that i am looking forward to. Despite their dip in form recently, i have been impressed with Chelsea this season and i think they have an outside chance to surprising a few teams like Ajax last year. That said i am not sure about their defence and Lewandowski could have a field day up front. We will see what Chelsea do in January to strengthen, and then i might go for the upset. Now i fancy Bayern though.

Spurs vs RB Leipzig- I am a big fan of Nagelsmann in this Leipzig side and i want them to go far here to establish themselves in Europe a little more. I would not be shocked if experience wins out here, but i have a feeling that Spurs will get a bit of a shock.

Napoli vs Barcelona- I do not see a shock here. I am not sure about Gatusso as a coach and i think Napoli are in too much disaray right now to trouble Barcelona. I expect Messi to bag a few here and Barca to get through comfortably.

Lyon vs Juventus- The easiest one to call here. Lyon are capable of being a good side but can not seem to get there for some reason, and with their injuries i think they will be in for a rough time here.

Atalanta vs Valencia- The worst tie of the round in terms of names, but i think this is a closely matched contest. Having seen Valencia in the group stages, i just feel they will do just enough to nick this on away goals or something. I do not think any of these sides will advance beyond the quarters though

7. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Whoever you say I support
    This is a severely underrated draw. Best second-round draw in years imo, every tie is of interest.

8. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    :laugh:

I don't disagree that it isn't an interesting round of fixtures, but how do draws get underrated?

9. footballfan3024

footballfan3024 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Some amazing ties...city vs Madrid for one

10. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Spurs struggling a bit to sell out. Offering people the opportunity to buy up to 4 tickets :laugh:

I'm sure enough daytrippers will pick up tickets to ensure it does sell out but it's comical we can't sell out at this stage of the competition.

The club are so obsessed in short term profit they don't realise they'll be relying on our fans to show up once things go tits up and the daytrippers piss off.

11. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Despite being reigning European Champions we don’t have the best away record in Europe so the trip to Atletico Madrid won’t we easy even if they are in poor form with one win in six. Always good to have the second leg at home though.

I wonder if we’ll see Fabinho get a start in this?

12. Enchantress

Enchantress Registered User

Supports:
    Spurs
    You struggled to break Norwich down so this will be a much sterner test.