1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello Guest. We'd appreciate your feedback on some proposed changes we have in mind for the Championship, League One and League Two forums. Please take a moment to read the proposals, and make your comments here: Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice

United transfer news/rumours/speculation etc. etc. etc.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by StretfordEnd, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If Jose thinks he went too far with his comments and agent and is punishing him then I back the call.
    Can't let players walk all over the manager.

I think he will keep getting the odd appearance and Jose will judge how he takes it. If he stops with the nonsense and gets his head down I think Jose will be happy to keep playing him later in the season, where as if he resorts to the disruptive stance as he previously did he is probably gone in the summer.

Up to Martial to make the call, if he goes the latter then he clearly doesn't see his future at United and needs to go, if however he works hard and gives it 100% then we have a cracking player ready to fight for a place.

Things should start to be clearer in the next few weeks

2. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    and maybe i didn't iterate well enough my disappointment with the situations as a whole, because, yes a lot of it does fall on martial and his agent. it's frustrating because he can be great, but all this behind-the-scenes stuff is sending him down the wrong path, career-wise

3. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    reports that lindelof has signed a pre-contract with united for a summer transfer

4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Cynical
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Odd, with Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Baillie already at the club. A replacement for Valencia would seem more urgent.

5. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    feel like smalling may be the one to go this summer. hit his peak last season and it's pretty clear mourinho isn't a huge fan

6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Cynical
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    That would be good news I reckon, I don't rate him at all. Jones has done well this season but yet again he's injured.

7. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    sadly, i think the many faces of phil jones will always be a backup option at united. he does the job adequately these days, so it will really be up to him if that role is one he wants for his career.

8. mattamomo

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Out of our entire back line the only players I would entertain keeping at a club looking to win titles is Bailly, Valencia, Blind (as a left back or utility only) and Jones if he stays fit.
    Rojo is a red card waiting to happen and not particularly a good defender to justify it.
    Smalling is 50/50 and if we can get a better first team replacement it makes no sense for him to stay.
    Jones has been good this season but the guy just won't play a full season for us, it is out of the question so maybe keep him as rotation but honestly a replacement might not be the worst idea.

That being said I don't think Lindelof is good enough to replace Smalling. Both seem like good defenders in one area and lacking in another.

9. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Cynical
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I agree apart from your assessment of Rojo, who I think has been hugely improved at centre half this season.

10. mattamomo

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think he has this season showed far more than he did last season that is for sure. But his two footed lunges and speed at which he will attempt a studs up challenge are just asking for trouble. If he was to cut that out his game I don't think there would be much need to sell, but some players just have that about them and it is a hard habbit to drop. Guess time will tell on that one.

11. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    if a replacement for Smalling is needed and Lindelof isn't good enough, who else would be a realistic target in the summer?

12. mattamomo

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The way I see it Lindelof at worst could be a solid enough addition who can play both as a centre half or a right back, so we could let one of Rojo or Jones go.
    I trust Jose's judgment and if he thinks he is good enough then he should go for it. I can only comment on what I have seen which is a few games and a couple of extended highlights after we got linked with him, although saying that a couple of convos I have had with those who know much more about Portugese football than me seem to correspond with what I took away from watching him which was a bit 50/50.

I don't know the perfect guy for the job that will be available. But Jose has shown he can get the big names with or without top 4 and I expect there would be a quality and experienced centre half who we could get in the summer.

13. mattamomo

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If I was to give the option I want most though it would be Manolas or VVD

14. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    i would have liked kjaer, whose long passes from the back are brilliant, but doubt he'll have forgotten having his throat grabbed by ibra anytime soon. manolas and VVD are solid suggestions, too.

15. jonesch

jonesch Narcissistic Sports Pimp.

Supports:
    Manchester United
    No idea what's happened to Smalling this year, he was superb last season. I feel a bit for Jones, he picks up a bit of form then he's back out in the dark again with whatever injury he's picked up this time. Both need to go IMO

16. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    so, is rooney off to china, then? if so, not a bad salary for a few months of work (i'm assuming he would only be there until the summer if he does go)

#4616 upper90, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. jonesch

jonesch Narcissistic Sports Pimp.

Supports:
    Manchester United
    FINALLY.

Knew it wouldn't take Jose long to realise he's useless. Thanks for everything, genuinely but he's been riding his luck for about 5 years now

18. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    we'll see what happens. while i'll always regard rooney as a club legend, it's clear that he's now got a manager who won't start him solely because of his name. i'm sure he's a solid leader on and off the pitch, but unless he's willing to take on a super-sub role, it's time for him to collect a bit of money in china and then move to mls for a year or two. gives us the wage space (and a fat bit of change if we get some of that chinese money for him) to keep ibra on for another year and hopefully go for griezmann.

19. mattamomo

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think that was the worry last season. It was clear Smalling was playing out of character but it didn't seem to me like something that would last long.
    Jones on the other hand has been a good player when he gets a run, but it is so rare that we can't have any hopes of him being a starter or even a reliable rotation option.

20. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    looks like young may be on his way to china before next tuesday