1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VAR in Premier League next season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by SpursLegend, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    I wonder how long it will be until the subscribers can vote for a decision?

FranniesTache likes this.
  2. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They should have the option of no commentary. Better to mute the tv and listen to music or have it on the background muted. Switch it on at kick off and turn it off at full time to avoid adverts and pundits.

johnnyT likes this.
  3. prolifik

prolifik TAKE THAT FOR DATA

Supports:
    Manchester United
    It's adorable how some people think VAR will improve the standard of refereeing. :laugh:

Other leagues have been using it already and it's still rife with controversy. The only difference is it now takes five years to reach the same subjective decision.

FranniesTache likes this.
  4. BoscombeLass

BoscombeLass Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Putting my earlier post in a nutshell...

In 1998 Bolton got unfairly relegated and Everton stayed up because of all the delays in introducing goal line tech. If VAR is not introduced sooner, someone will be relegated because of a controversial decision, which would have not happened if VAR was in use now, not later. Can still happen this season.

I'm glad it's here, everyone will have their games almost refereed property and fairly, none of this big six club decision favouring (which is why we got the delay; the money spinning clubs who always get the big decisions were against it).

5. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    How is VAR fair?

6. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    the standard of refereeing doesn't need to improve. The reality is a referee and a couple of linesmen are not enough for the modern game, especially when you have sky cameras scrutinising every decision.
    Decisions are far less subjective when they are not in real time with only 1 pair of eyes. Players take 5 years complaining about decisions so this balances it out

Chrysalis and Super_horns like this.
  7. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    This is it.

Look at the NFL, they have about 10 referees on and around the pitch as well as video refs for referrals if something is contentious.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  8. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Those extra refs assistants we get behind the goalline in European matches were a godsend. Helped the ref out no end them fellas!

9. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The NFL is only in play for about 10 seconds at a time. Similar with cricket or rugby. These are purely stop start sports where waiting around is part of the show. Tennis is more a flowing sport and they have video reviews, although it's generally more matter of fact with has the ball crossed the line - with the help of the technology - rather than contentious handballs, 50/50 fouls or the minutest offside call. The reviews are strictly restricted so it's not too disruptive to the flow of the match.

Goal-line technology should have come in a lot sooner, but those against it always said once that comes in the floodgates will open.

Even with VAR the sell on it was it'd only be for clear and obvious game-changing errors. For me, that should mean was it clear in real time and not after slow-mo replays from every angle. Generally speaking if you need replays to see it, and more than one at least, then there's not enough there to override the ref. This is partly where TV and 24 hour news is ruining the sport. Even in the 90s there wasn't the painstaking analysis of every decision. You'd get Alan Hansen chastising a defensive mistake and Andy Gray arsing about with a machine - it'd take a Maradona esque incident to cause a fuss. These days a 50/50 decision will be the main talking point of most big games. The irony is VAR will only exacerbate that (Spurs-Chelsea).

StretfordEnd likes this.
  10. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Do u even Rugby?

11. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Have you ever watched Rugby?

Justthatek likes this.
  12. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Looking at it it's improved from the World Cups in the 90s (Union) where the ball was only in play for an average of 24 minutes in 1991 and 26 minutes in 1995. How long is a rugby match, really?

About 15 minutes of a rugby match is messing around with scrums and waiting for them.

Don't get me wrong football games aren't in play anywhere near what they should be a lot of the time, but this is often down to time wasting and dark arts, which if the game was on a clock (like parts of rugby are) would largely eradicate.

13. Pagnell

Pagnell Pick Up The Gun

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Didn't see the game but if that goal was given Chelsea have every reason to be pissed. Clearly offside.

14. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Just calculated and Liverpool would be 7th if VAR was in use already this season.

JoshBCFC and Coys4 like this.
  15. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    VAR didn't have that replay though which wasn't helpful clearly !

16. Pagnell

Pagnell Pick Up The Gun

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Absolutely. Which shows the limitation of the system if they're going to insist on using a single image from an angle which negates perspective and a player's head and chest being offside by about a foot judging by the first image. Multiple angles are needed, so put the technology in place that supports it or leave VAR for the time being.

17. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    What you all forgetting is that if there was no VAR, the offside decision still would not have came. The linesman only flagged so they could check VAR, so the linesman didnt spot an offside meaning kane would have scored anyway.

Coys4 likes this.
  18. Pagnell

Pagnell Pick Up The Gun

Supports:
    Liverpool
    But if the linesman flagged for VAR, he clearly believed it was worth looking at as he wasn't 100% sure either way. What's to suggest he wouldn't have given it as offside had VAR not been an option any more than giving Kane the benefit of the doubt?

Either way the wrong decision ended up being made.

19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    I was just saying this to someone the other day. I was watching a game on the red button with just one commentator who kept it very low key and spoke when he needed to spoke. Far better than the inane ****ing drivel and "banter" from has been footballers ....."would you have put that one away Eric? ...."I would never have got that far up the field Martin" Howls of false laughter. **** right off you pair of ****s.

Even better would be (and I know this is a fans forum) to be able to turn off the inane ****ing crowd noise. It's atmosphere you say. No it ****ing ain't, it's thousands of retards chanting bollocks that's what it is. The repetition is like water torture. Man United are the worst for it ...I actually do have to turn the sound down when I'm watching them.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  20. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Co-commentators has always been a pet hate. You didn't used to have them until Sky and Andy Gray came along and even then BBC took a while to start doing it. They just aren't needed. Have a commentator who just calmly commentates on the match - like Tyler - and occasionally reels off a wild stat. Many a World Cup match has been ruined by Mark Lawrenson.

Yeah, I usually always have the sound down these days for live football, if the commentators aren't annoying as hell then the crowd will be. The first chorus of something like "Is this a library?" and I just want to turn it off - it's not atmosphere. It's the same shit banter that you note with the commentators. Watching, say, Serie A down the years and the atmosphere does enhance the experience of watching it. As does a good English atmosphere when you get them.

#140 ritchie_50, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019