1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

VAR in Premier League this season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by SpursLegend, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Maybe more that 30 seconds though - we often hear managers complaining that decisions are rushed and this would only add to it if on the clock that quickly?

I did notice both the Leicester and Man City players were quite strong in their appeals for handball - maybe just a natural reaction but compared to other handball incidents there seemed to be more of a claim.

Whereas no one appealed for the offsides.

2. prolifik

prolifik Daniel James >>>

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Managers are going to complain regardless if decisions go against them. 30 seconds should be enough time to review a "clear and obvious error".

3. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    while he was a tactical progressive, cruyff was also a bit of a grouch when it came to any changes in the game. i'm reading Zonal Marking right now and when the back pass rule was introduced, he was strongly against it. he's right, though, that it's referees that are the problem, and VAR seems to have only highlighted that reality. also, as some have already mentioned, you can't introduce things like VAR and not revise the rules a bit to coincide with such changes.

people give united crap for the penalties won last season, but look at how many leicester already have this season. it's a record they're well on their way to breaking. one of the pundits on sirius xmfc the other day wanted to scrap penalties altogether, mainly due to him feeling that a penalty kick was a disproportionate reward for the types of penalties VAR is awarding.

4. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Expand the indirect free kick rule imo. Just because there's not enough of them any more and they're a glorious sight.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    I think they let it go naturally for first half of season, then they will apply a correction after Christmas, so if we have most penalties then, we will suddenly start seeing loads of stone wall ones been blocked to get it down.

The 4 clubs who have no penalties are the current bottom 3 and wolves.

6. Australian92

Australian92 Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Var the best thing that ever happened to EPL honestly we seen that having NO Var does in 2010 world cup poor England.

7. m.oneillAVFC

m.oneillAVFC Registered

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I'm old enough to remember when a hanball was only awarderd if you were a defender and made a full length save or just punched the ball away but that was back in the days of obstruction and foul throws as well.Older than God's dog , me.

8. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Not sure what you're advocating here, better refs with VAR or better refs without VAR?
    The latter isn't viable, either we accept that refs are humans who make mistakes or we accept VAR. If we accept VAR then the Laws need a complete overhaul, you can't continue awarding penalties for stupid handballs that strike the arm from 2 feet away, or for the tiniest of nicks that can only be seen after the 30th slo-mo replay. You can't continue disallowing goals because 5mm of a players' bicep is 'offside' or after the 10th replay his toe is deemed to have been 'offside'.

prolifik and Super_horns like this.
  9. HappilyLost

HappilyLost Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    Indirect free-kicks in the penalty box for handballs like Joe Gomez the other night would be something I'd like to be introduced.

The problem when penalties are given for these types of handballs, is the fans feel that the punishment is too harsh for the infraction. To be given essentially a free goal for a part of your body being hit by a fast travelling ball in fast motion.

Suarez against Ghana was clearly a penalty, and a penalty in that instance, everyone feels that justice has been served.

Gomez the other night and countless others like that? As a viewer, you're left feeling cheated, and let down that it didn't really deserve a free shot at goal.

VAR itself isn't a bad idea, the way it has been introduced is terrrible though. If you can't make a decision within 30 seconds from looking at it at the TV then, you shouldn't overturn the referees decision in my opinion. As for offside, it should only be used for 100% clear cut ones, none of these stupid lines drawn across the pitch. If you can't tell from your eye, that the linesman cocked up, then let it go, I think every fan would prefer that than the current system, even if some mistakes are made. It will also bring back some emotion to the game in celebrating a goal.

10. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    In think there has been more debate now about decisions than ever before due to the rules and increased focus.

Apart from the really bad howler most incidents used to pass off without too much being said from fans or pundits - well maybe until all the new fancy slow mo replays on a big screen came in.

It's mainly managers who used to complain and they will continue to do so for the dawn of time.

11. m.oneillAVFC

m.oneillAVFC Registered

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    So you can coach players but not refs .Not sure i agree with that. VAR is a disaster and needs scrapping .As i said keep goal line tech but just improve the standard of referees and tweek the laws to give the advantage to the attacking sides. Put intent back where it belongs, then it is up to the ref to make a decision whether a handball is intentional or not .Refs need to be taught to to embrace the spirit of the game and not nit pick. Common sense has been driven out of the game, soon to be followed by a fair few fans if this debacle is allowed to continue.

12. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip

Interesting thread this...can't be right though we are LiVARpool after all

SALTIRE likes this.
  13. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Fake News Donald, you are LiVARpool and you know it

14. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Caught me I hacked into an ESPN reporters twitter account to fake stats.

Jimmy Skitz likes this.
  15. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I agree with everything you're saying, except that I really don't think you can coach the mistakes out of referees. They can't keep up with play, they can only look in one direction at a time, they can't see through players' bodies and they may decide there was or wasn't intent incorrectly. I'd be happy with all that, just scrap VAR and as you say keep the goal line tech.

16. m.oneillAVFC

m.oneillAVFC Registered

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I agree everyone in the game make mistakes but you can improve the quality .Some of these reviews look like Mr Magoo made the final decision. I really don't know what they ae looking at sometimes.Just not good enough .

17. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We moan about VAR, this was given as a pen for handball in Norway the other day :laugh:

[​IMG]

PorkchopExpress likes this.
  18. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Please tell me that was awarded without the use of VAR?

19. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it was without mate.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  20. Dickie Cooper

Dickie Cooper Super Duper Dickie Cooper

Supports:
    Dulwich Hamlet
    No point in looking at VAR stats after 8 games, you need to look over a whole season. Not really sure what the point about it is anyway. For instance, whether you agree or not, technically Sadio Mane's goal against Everton was offside and so was correctly ruled out. Now, I'm all for giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt, and personally would have let Mane's goal stand. But - the referees are, at present, utilising correctly the technology for offside in accordance with what they've been instructed. :shrug