1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We are slightly in the mire

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Stan_Drews, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Skitters

Skitters Talks Poo

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    To some extent it was the same gamble that Wolves made...just applied very much poorly!

Until there is a balancing out of television income between the leagues, clubs are going to make these silly gambles

2. Loftus Toad

Loftus Toad Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    There needs to be more done to discourage the teams coming down from blowing their lavish parachute money on expensive gambles to get back into the league. They aren’t really parachute payments at all now- they’re leg-ups to keep the Prem a relatively closed shop.

3. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

I think it was Stockdale? I just assumed they'd be more tight with the purse strings considering their previous 5 or so years.
    It's like just about surviving quick sand and then jumping straight back into it.

4. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Brighton most likely told him he wasn't going to stay since he isn't Premier League quality.

5. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
  6. Juzzie

Juzzie Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    It's no surprise that 'arry has not managed since he left Brum. I think football has finally wised up. Though both Brum and QPR should have done so much earlier.
    He's now off making a name for himself on daytime TV conning more people into what a lovely cheeky chappy he is.

7. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    How is it anything like what we did?

8. Quirkafleeg

Quirkafleeg SHERPA VAN STILL GLEAMING...
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
  9. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Bit harsh imo, all he is is just another manager who football has moved on without imo

10. Loftus Toad

Loftus Toad Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    He’s a conman and total ****ing charlatan.

11. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Fair. He completely ****ed your finances as well IIRC?

Suppose that's part of the reason there's so many director's of football now taking care of transfers for managers

12. Juzzie

Juzzie Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    When QPR employed him Southampton fans came on one of our forums warning us of him. We scoffed and laughed. They were right though.

As Toad says, he's a conman and a Charlatan. It feels to me everything he does is fake. I'm sure the whole Jungle thing was to get old dears around the country all think he's a lovely man who loves his wife (which I'm sure he does) so his agent can get him more TV work as I doubt he won't get any more football management work as I reckon he's been sussed out.

He doesn't need the money so why does he do it? Clearly believes in Harry Redknapp the brand and can't keep himself and his opinions/stories out of the public domain.

Most of what he said was just pure downright wrong i.e. "I only had 12 players to take pre-season to Ireland" - QPR official website listed 20 players that went.

I suspect he just says whatever comes into his head at the time without any thought of what may have been said before but I think he knows he's bullsh**ing but just isn't smart enough to keep it consistent. I saw him once at some live audience radio show (Manager of Spurs at the time I think) and he had the hosts eating out of the palm of his hands.

i.e. 'Harry says: "I don't deal with the contracts, that's up to Phil and the chairman. I couldn't tell you what each player earns."'
    Then not long after; “Bosingwa didn’t travel. He felt he was too good to be on the substitute’s bench. I’ve fined him two weeks’ wages, which is £130,000, which isn’t bad for two weeks work is it?"

Full report here;

Said and done – Redknapp - Queens Park Rangers News

I know all Managers say this 'n that and bluff things but not only is he the king of the jungle but IMO he's the king of the bluffers too.

#32 Juzzie, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    JoshBCFC likes this.
  13. Skitters

Skitters Talks Poo

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Signing a number of players who would have been on bigger salaries than the existing squad with the aim it would help the club push for promotion. I assume you don't really think Neves was (or still is) on a similar wage structure to the rest of your squad?

I appreciate you Dogheads are a sensitive bunch because of the links to dubious agent link etc - but I don't think it is too shocking a thought to suggest that Wolves took a bit of gamble in terms of expenditure to get promoted.

It was obviously much more calculated and better put together gamble than our effort

14. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    It wasn't a gamble at all. We didn't fail FFP, we spent within our means unlike you. Even if we had failed FFP and then failed to get promoted as well, we still weren't anywhere near in danger as all our signings had massive resale value.

Nothing like your cluster**** of a football club.

15. Skitters

Skitters Talks Poo

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Of course it was a gamble! There was a risk it could have backfired - for example Neves *could* have had a career ending injury on his debut wiping out his value. There's always a risk with every purchase.

I didn't say you did breach FFP - but if you had not gone up last season then you would have been closer to it this season. Two failed promotions and fan and detritus would have met.

It was a calculated gamble, very well executed.