1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What has been your longest working day?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by reecejackox, Mar 13, 2019.

1. reecejackox

reecejackox Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan/Bolton
    Ever

Can include travel etc

Set off at 4am , only got home at 11.30pm so 19 and half hours.

2. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead The Lion of Judah

Supports:
    BHAFC
    When I used to work as a book scanning pedophile I racked up some massive hours in a week. Most in a day was probably 14 though, not including 40 minutes travel each way.

Was over Christmas and time and a half on overtime only applied after you’d done 5 hours so I was basically killing myself so I could afford a nice Christmas. Would always get in at 8:30 Monday morning and work through until 22:30.

Then I realised I had a load of holiday left so I booked half day holidays on my shift every day for two weeks, worked the overtime, worked half my shift and then f*cked off home. Rise & Repeat. Then turned up for the bonus weekend shift they’d have to put on. Think I cracked a 70 hour week doing that until they clocked on.

3. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Whilst at Uni I worked in a 999 call centre, used to do 12 hour night shifts with a commute of an hour each way so 14 hours.

There was a rule/law in place that you couldnt have less than 11 hours between shifts but it didn’t include commuting time.

4. Foxwell

Foxwell Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    While preparing for one particular years stock take with very little staff, a freshly sacked stock controller and a month's worth of prep work to do in a week, we did roughly 17 hours a day (6:30am until 11:30pm approx) Monday to Thursday, 12 hours on the Friday, and another 15 hours on the Saturday which was the day of the stock take. Unfortunately we were left with no choice due to someone else's incompetence. To be fair to the lads at the time, everyone pulled their fingers out and made it happen, we took it as a challenge, kept each other plied with food and red bulls.

Aside from that particular outlier, in my late teens/early 20s I would occasionally do restaurant and bar shifts back to back, so the 7:30am to 4:30pm shift, take half an hour break and do the 5pm to 11pm shift, 15 hours ish. I'd probably do these once a month as I lived 5 minutes away from the place and didn't really care, in fact I probably enjoyed it looking back.

5. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    23.5 hours taking Hms Edinburgh into dry dock for emergency rudder repairs. What a horrific day that was.

Jezza likes this.
  6. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    You must have heard some horrific things?

16 and a half hours. French air traffic controllers went on strike which caused mayhem. We had equipment failure that day and the senior team member went down sick. Good times

7. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    The 23 hours continuous that I did 2 weeks ago strangely isn’t the longest working day I’ve ever done.
    Again a deployment weekend back in 2009, but this one started on Friday evening at 6pm (I’d already been at work since 9am before it started) there was a plan to rest each member of the team between activities, but we hit problems at 01:30am and then it was nobody leaves or stops until we are done - that was at 13:30 on Sunday afternoon 52.5 hours in total .... brutal and it took a long time to get right again afterwards

#7 TLC, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah I did, i was the last person some people spoke to in their life, I had to listen to people die, even murdered. It wasn’t an easy job and very emotional.

There was some flip side to it though with some idiots that called in.

9. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Yeah. You can have less through choice but you can’t be forced to have less.

10. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    So it was law? We could sign something with HR to void it as such but I never did. Same with the amount of hours in a week too, you could sign something to void that too.

11. Andy

Andy Formerly Manutdlegend

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I’ve always been salaried so sadly I don’t get paid overtime otherwise I’d live at work.

12. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    31.5 hours. They let me sleep for a few hours at one point but was at work the whole time. Round it up to 32 hours with travel time. Bit uncommon in my place sadly.

13. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Not sure about law exactly but it’s an entitlement.

If you wanted your 11 hours and they wanted to discipline you and eventually fire you for it they wouldn’t have much of a defence when it comes to a tribunal for example.

14. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    That’s a bit shit isn’t it, so no way to bump your wage up if you needed to.

Can you even get to sleep at work? Is it like a staff bedroom?

I think the 999 centre I worked out knew that so that’s why they were so anal about people signing waivers.

15. GTFCfish

GTFCfish Registered User

Supports:
    Grimsby Town
    Mine was 21.5 hours when I worked in a fish factory, started at 4:30AM mixing fish cakes and didn’t finish until 2AM the next morning, they only let me stay on the condition that I had the next day as holiday which I was of course happy to do after working those hours.

16. AlissonWonderland

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Some people that live here would be funded a sleep in. If the night staff need backup for an incident in the night they would wake me up. Come to think of it I once did a double shift (14.5 hours) a sleep in then another double shift so that was a good 40 hours.

Nowadays I'm management and if night staff let me down last minute it is my responsibility to stay up all night until the morning staff come in. This happened not long ago and I had to do 25 hours straight awake which wasnt ideal. We have people with severe epilepsy and I'd have been in no fit state to handle it exhausted. Bad practice and probably illegal but the company is useless and has no contingency plan for when this type of thing happens.

17. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Sounds like a piss take of a company who are neglecting staff and the people in their care. I bet you are no better thought of either when you do the covering etc. I bet you’ll be glad to leave?

18. AlissonWonderland

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yep, no extra pay or even a thanks just a culture of expectancy I'm counting the days Miss!

Supposed to be off to Cardiff but Mrs W may be going back to university closer to where we live so. If so I wouldn't have to wait until she starts in September to find a new job as we wouldn't need to move.

#18 AlissonWonderland, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They’ll miss you when you’ve gone.

Yeah I remember you saying you was moving for your girlfriends uni. Not long away is it? You sorted a new job out yet?

20. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    8 hours

RM likes this.