1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is our first team?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by superyids, Sep 3, 2016.

1. superyids

superyids Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    Okay i'm gonna be honest.
    I honestly don't know what our official first XI. i'm not sure that we've actually improved our starting XI that much this summer but one thing I will say i'm happy about is our squad depth. on paper at least our 2nd XI looks great- and we will need that with a CL season ahead of us.
    i'm going to (possibly wrongly) assume sissoko is a starter- otherwise why on earth would we pay 30M for him. i'm going to speculate that when everyones available that lamela may get the axe- albeit he has been playing well.

its anyones guess?

Kane
    eriksen/alli/sissoko?
    dembele/dier
    rose/verts/alds/walker
    lloris

Our 2nd XI looks great (on paper)
    Janssen
    Nkoudou/Son/Lamela
    Wanyama/Carroll
    davies/wimmer/CCV/Trippier
    Vorm

2. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    Wanyama in for Dier, Lamela in for Sissoko. From an outsiders perspective that looks your strongest team and a f*cking good one at that. Any other season and it'd be a strong title contender.

3. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think Wanyama is the only one of our signings that would potentially be in our first eleven now. Any other new signings still have to prove themselves.

In current form it'd be Eriksen or Alli to come out for Sissoko. Not that Lamela played well against Liverpool either mind you.

Our first eleven need a good kick up the ass because there's few who have been playing well. I think Wanyama has been our best player so far this season, along with the ever reliable Alderweireld.

superyids likes this.
  4. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    honestly I can't pick it.

wanyama should be a starter but dier was superb last season. lamela is playing well but I can't see how eriksen or englands golden boy dele alli can be dropped. but I can't see how we would spend 30M and not intend on him being a first teamer??

5. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane glory glory

Supports:
    Spurs since 1990
    So you decide to bench another 30m player?

For me it's the same starting XI as last season, we've strenghten the depth of the squad so that we can rotate and not have another Dortmund failure. Our absolute strongest line up at this exact time is probably without Dier, Dele/Eriksen and Kane. As Wanyama, Sissoko and Janssen look better at the moment, but I expect that to change.

6. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    well for a start lamela cost 26M. and alli and eriksen are better.
    secondly its just a guess.

thirdly - its way to early to talk about janssen. he doesn't look better than kane at the moment.

7. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Pochettino rightly rates Lamela and he epitomizes Pochettino football in my opinion.

Forget the fact Lamela is in good form and starting to look the player we hoped he would be when he signed, his workrate is also a key part of his game. I don't think Lamela merits dropping right now.

Wanyama has been playing well so I don't know what you do when Dembele is back from suspension as I think he has to start.

The money is irrelevant to me, I don't care if Sissoko spends the season on the bench if players in front of him are performing. If it was solely about money we'd have persisted with Soldado ahead of Kane in Poch's first season.
    New signings add some pressure to that starting eleven though. Some aren't playing well and you've now got better options to replace them. If you're not at it every week then you'll risk losing your place.

8. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    but that's the point- what was the status quo WHEN we signed soldado? he was miles ahead of kane. we spent the big money on soldado to play him. it took 16-odd months of shite form for him to eventually be dropped.

considering we have the most stringent, tight chairman in the premier league... one can only surmise he sanctioned a £30m because he believed he would start. all I will say is it would be an un-levyesque thing

9. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Transfer fees have gone crazy since then though.

There isn't a player in that midfield worth less than £20 million. We picked up the likes of Dembele, Dier, Alli and Eriksen fairly cheap. If you were to sell any of them they'd go for close to £30 million if not more.

Sissoko being £30 million is a bit of a technicality as he's a recent signing. As far as I'm concerned the other players in midfield are worth of equal value so you can't guarantee Sissoko a start.

Similarly Kane is worth more now than we ever paid for Soldado.

10. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    we'll just have to see.

thinking laterally- I just don't see our frugal chairman paying £30M on a player only for him to sit on the bench. i'd imagine he must have had this chat with poch before the deal. i'm only conjecturing.

11. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Well he won't permanently be on the bench. Wanyama's a new signing, Sissoko's a new signing - Eriksen, Lamela, Dele and Dier have all signed contracts in recent times so it's impossible to predict who will miss out.

It's a good headache for Poch to have for the Champions League and Sunderland game.

Dembele's still suspended and Lamela's playing in Argentina midweek so I imagine it's an easier selection for the Stoke game at the weekend.

12. xyz

xyz Banned

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    its looking like a sissoko wanyama midfield for the league and a dier dembele for europe.

not upset.

13. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    no way in hell is dembele NOT a starter.

pretty much the best at what he does in the league. theres some debate but dembeles position certainly isn't one

14. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think yesterday highlights the problem that Poch has. Win away 4-0 at Stoke with Dembele, Lamela, Sissoko and Janssen all missing from the starting 11.

Who do you drop for these players? I think you've got to play Dembele but I think it's harsh to drop either of Dier or Dembele. Sissoko is less clear cut, he had a decent little cameo yesterday but Son's come in and scored two goals, Eriksen looked back to his best and Alli got on the scoresheet too.

What an unfortunate dilemma to have :whistle

15. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    from what I can see sissoko could play as DM (dier), CM (dembele) or a right AM (lamela). lots of options. personally I really rate son.. and yesterdays game just adds to pochs potential headache.

the only thing i'm sure of is that our second XI is quality (on paper). no excuses for burning out this season

16. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane glory glory

Supports:
    Spurs since 1990
    Probably won't rotate too much now, though likely make a total change for the Gillingham game which will kick start the season for those most lacking of game time.

17. xyz

xyz Banned

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Kane; Eriksen, Alli, Lamela; Dembele, Dier; Rose, Jan, Toby, Walker; Lloris
    first xi from last season. what is our second xi?

18. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    We don't have a first eleven. We have a bunch of about 16 who will rotate depending on the style and strengths of the opposition.

19. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    I would say that's probably right about now.

Sons the man in form and I think wanyama has done his case the world of good.
    Its good that we have 16 or so players of very similar ability.

20. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    If you were to put a gun to my head, I'd say this:

Lloris
    Walker Toby Jan Rose
    Dier Dembele
    Lamela Alli Eriksen
    Kane​

But Wanyama (for Dier), Sissoko (for Lamela) and Son (for Alli, Eriksen goes central) would all be as much a first teamer as that eleven right now.

Then we have Trippier and Davies who often slot in on full back rotation, Janssen who needs to get a run, and Wimmer who many wanted to replace Vertonghen before the season started.

Glad I'm not the manager :D