1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

What movie did you just finish watching? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by Mowgli, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    No Time To Die

Great visuals, good action scenes - even though they were limited - but as others have said, it felt weak and predictable.

Can't blame Rami Malek for the forgettable villian. They didn't give him a lot of screen time or story to build his character, and his motivations for his big plan seemed convenient or predictable.

Lashana Lynch was a highlight and her chemistry with Craig was good - even though her scene with the scientist in the end was cringe.

Also loved Ana De Armas, but I am biased towards De Armas. She could sit on a chair in a movie and do nothing, and I will still appreciate it.

The Valiant and Redpelt like this.
  2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    No Time To Die [2021]

It's a Bond film; car chases, the unnecessary destruction of beautiful Astons, a few Q gadgets, a huge body count and a weirdo villain with a weirdo villain's lair, what's not to like? Well . . . it's even longer than usual, it has an even worse theme song than the last one, it has a villain who's barely on screen throughout and some of it plays like an FP video game.

I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't surprised either. 7.7603/10

Arkwright likes this.
  3. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Thought it was okayish meh kind of stuff for maybe 45 minutes, then got worse and worse... and worse. Really rather awful as a whole. In some ways actually worse than QoS, which at least didn't sell out the entire series for a gimmick, and was more coherent (lol). Felt like two or three scripts combined into one, or one script rewritten by different people multiple times. Just a mess. I would agree that the action scenes were generally strong. Some of the references to past films were good, and the references didn't become relentless and annoying like in Skyfall. I think I hated just about everything else. The theme was dreadful. Little wonder they needed to lift the music of OHMSS. Craig yet again wasn't really playing Bond...

I enjoyed some of Lashana's early deliveries, but I can't help but feel that she was only in the film for the exchange with the scientist at the end, which certainly was cringeworthy as hell. They didn't exactly do much with her, basically the odd comical line. De Armas even less. As for Rami, his character was almost a lame afterthought. And what the **** was that henchman supposed to be? :laugh:

Blofeld, the most formidable and dangerous villain in the series, running the most dangerous criminal organisation - let's kill him and the entire organisation halfway into their second film! Not only that, but kill them with all the panache of a wet fart! Kill Leiter as well, lol. Suggest Bond is cut up about it even though he's not actually friends with Leiter in the Craig Bonds and has no reason to give a shit. There's just no care in any of this.

One interesting thing was that the concluding part of the film seemed to be based on the You Only Live Twice novel, with the malicious plants on an island and all, and I'm sure there was a moment towards the end of the book where Bond appeared to 'die'. But ultimately it all ended up about as significant as Malek's character.

Choosing to end it in the way they did was a joke, a gimmick, and beyond ridiculous. Although it somehow felt fitting because the Bond series is dead. The cynic in me thinks they sought a clean break with a view to casting a black Bond or whatever else for woke points.

4. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Has Bond ever been killed in a film before? I'm no super-fan but I don't remember his demise. I can't see where they go now, Bond's dead, so whilst they can have another 007 they can't have another Bond . . . :confused

Redpelt likes this.
  5. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    No, never - I doubt anyone would even be daft enough to suggest it in the past, and even if they had, it's the kind of thing that gets laughed down in two seconds flat. Like I say, can't remember the details, but I'm sure his death was teased in the You Only Live Twice book, only he didn't actually die. I suppose in a sense it cuts off the Craig Bonds, they're almost non-canon now, because there's no way they'll ditch the Bond name - not when they can use it to churn out crap and make money. Of course reasons can be found for why past films aren't consistent with each other, and they're never going to be, but actually killing the guy is just so ridiculously egregious and the dumbest idea imaginable.

I think one of the big weaknesses of this run was this desperation to keep building layers on the original film and its characters, and keep expanding 'Bond's story'. Ugh. Early on it was clear that they were taking quite a pretentious approach to things. I thought the reveal that Quantum was merely part of Spectre was a good idea to bring back Spectre, but then we saw what great use of Spectre they made. Underwhelming destruction of the facility at the end of that film, Blofeld is caught, and then they're binned asap in the next one..

Zydus and Redpelt like this.
  6. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Insulting the viewers intelligence is now commonplace and those tasked with writing these scripts place far less importance on lucid and plausible storytelling than they do lumping it in betwixt the CGI. Obliterating Spectre was just a banal decision after basing the first four films on how this criminal organization was a disembodied clique that was practically untouchable and always one step ahead ,yet suddenly they're completely eradicated by a villain with no tangible association with the collective and holding nothing more sinister than the weak @rsed lines they handed him and a trowel.

The Valiant and Panja like this.
  7. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Jesus, so many "spoiler tags" . I hope I don't need them for my last movie that I watched, it's an old war movie from 1965. "The Battle of the Bulge" ;)
    I watched, of course, the german dubbed version, it's easier for me. ( the german title is "Die letzte Schlacht (the last battle). Haven't watched it for more than 2 decades, so thought I could give it a go again.

At some point Robert Shaw as Oberst (Colonel) Hessler (with blonde hair) sings the "Panzer-Lied" of the Wehrmacht. In the German version it's of course in German and I wanted to know if it is also sung in german in the original english version so I looked for it at youtube. And it seems that even Robert Shaw sung it original in german

(song starts at 1:30)

7.5/10

#11087 Dirk, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  8. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I love war films but never really liked this one somehow, it's been on S*Y movies a couple of times this week and I haven't watched it. :hmmm

9. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I often wonder had this offensive been a success, would it have had any effect on the outcomes of the war. It's a fascinating battle, as both a winter assault, and an assault through rough terrain were very rare.

10. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Battle of the Bulge has grown on me. Didn't love it the first time, and I don't think it's the best war film, but I've watched it again a couple of times just in the space of a few years.

11. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Thoroughly enjoyable, however the super hero genre seems to be nearing the end of its course for me.

12. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I seem to be in the minority. I found No Time to Die to be the best of Craigs films.
    Felt like he actually had personality for once and mixed in some bond'esque comic relief.

Wasn't the most thrilling story, but a more enjoyable watch than most of his films for me.

13. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Far From Home aside, everything post End Game has been poor, and Captain Marvel and Black Panther weren't overally great either (although at least Black Panther had an impressive setting and the Wakanda scenes and costumes were amazing to look at).

14. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I Believe in Miracles

a must watch for all football fans (except probably Derby fans :laugh: )!!!

A truly quality nostalgic look back at Nottm Forest rise from 2nd Division to League Champs to 2 x European Cup Winners.

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  15. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    A Time to Kill
    Saw it after it featured in the 90s list. Made me curious enough.
    Thought it was a bit clunky in places and melodramatic, but the performances and the subject matter made it good. The final closing speech of the trial was perfectly written.

Shang-Chi and the legend of Ten Rings
    I thought it was decent entertainment. As others have also stated, the novelty of watching a superhero movie has truly worn off.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  16. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Red Notice

I like Ryan Reynolds, he's a really funny bloke, and in the early stages of this film he keeps his endearing charm but it fades badly halfway through and the movie turns into something that it could have well avoided; another car chasing action movie, and that Dwayne bloke is just downright ****ing annoying..

2* out of five..

17. Joga bonito

Joga bonito "play beautifully"
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Bristol City
    Maborosi
    (1995) Dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda

8/10 - a tenderly absorbing slow-moving drama about a widow getting over the loss of her husband. A couple scenes cut me very deep: the director wonderfully exploring the pain, confusion and inescapable grip of grief/loss/regret/guilt. I heard this film’s cinematography was beautiful but it was the sounds that really drew me in (the bedroom conversations at night or the roar of the ocean).

18. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Great doc, Jonny Owen's a great sports doc maker.

His most recent one is a documentary about Shankly, Busby & Paisley called three kings, which is brilliant.

The Doc likes this.
  19. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Just watched this, a real flashback to the 'good old days'.
    Can't help but notice the shocking pitches, the horrendous fences, the tackling, Paddy Roche, only playing 4 ties to reach the Euro Cup Final and Tony Woodcock's hair now :eeek. Brilliant entertainment.

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings [2021]

Didn't think this would be my kind of film, and I was right. Beautifully made and well acted, but the tedious martial arts nonsense seemed to go on and on. (Yes I realise it's kind of about martial arts!) Obviously the beginning of yet another series of films, which I'll avoid as I do with the vast majority of the Marvel tripe.

The Doc likes this.
  20. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    The Marksman (2021)
    An average thriller starring Liam Neeson. 6/10.