1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV series did you just finish watching? NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by King_Kenny, Jan 23, 2011.

1. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    The Premier League Champions
    Das Boot series 1.

Excellent. The mixture of the stories on land and sea were expertly done, and was compelling throughout.

9/10

2. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    BCFC, you know, the one in Birmingham
    Killing Eve S3.

A very high standard kept throughout the three series and a nice ending at the close. Great acting by all the main characters but Jodie Comer is one talented and very gorgeous actor. Can’t wait to see what’s she going to do next.

By the way, @King_Kenny and @StretfordEnd (and all other fans of the show) have you seen that there’s a new season of The Sinner out on Netflix? Watched the first episode last night and once again it has great promise

3. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    After i binged the Karate kid films i watched Cobra Kai.
    Whilst i liked it i felt like i was watching something aimed at teenagers.
    Im sure thats the same for the films but i was young when i first watched them so thats different.

The Doc and Flip Duckling like this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    The Pacific.

Made by the same people who made the masterpiece Band Of Brothers but nowhere near as good but still better than i remembered it. One scene has always stuck with me and that was the marine throwing stones into the dead Japanese soldier's head with the top half missing making a plop sound. :laugh: 8.2/10.

5. Panja

Supports:
    :drunk12
    It’s a film though yeah, in the TV series thread?

:notlistening

Flip Duckling likes this.
  6. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Oh ffs

RM likes this.
  7. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Just read your post. I'm a big fan of the movie/mini-series from the 80's which is (imo) one of the best U-boat movies ever made. The soundtrack from Klaus Doldinger is still great. Tbh I was a bit sceptical when I heard in 2018 that they made a sequel of it but I like it. It's good to see Tom Wlaschiha in a german series again, he has made quite an international career in the last decade, played in Game of Thrones (as Jaqen H'ghar) or recently as ex- BND agent and now Killer in Jack Ryan, season 2.

Meanwhile I've seen season 2 and it's still great to watch. You're absolutely right, Jodie Comer is very talented and gorgeous, too. Sunday I'll begin with season 3 (after HSV last match ;) )

So far I've only seen Season 1 with Jessica Biel. In the first episode I thought "WTF, how can this be 8 episodes long? But with each episode it became more and more interesting.
    I've noticed that there's already season 2 and season 3 out but hadn't time to watch it yet. But it's definitely on my watching list.

#6287 Dirk, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    SALTIRE likes this.
  8. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    I'd seen the 80's version as well and loved it, so when I heard about this I wasn't interested. Dunno what it was though, but it drew me in so I decided to watch the first episode and thought it was a great starter. And when I saw the guy with the round glasses in it recognising him from Better Call Saul, and that Tom fella (who I couldn't place and had to look up as he has very distinctive features), I thought I'd stick with it. Glad I did. Have series 2 there as well, and may start it tonight whilst having a few celebratory drams. :laugh:

Dirk likes this.
  9. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Currently rewatching Shameless (the proper version obviously)

Can’t help but laugh at some of Frank’s one liners :laugh:

Mowgli likes this.
  10. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Quicksand

Swedish crime drama focused around Maja Norberg, a middle class Swedish girl who is arrested and charged with murder, attempted murder & acomplish to murder after a school shooting. The show then shows flashbacks to her life over the last year as she goes through the court system awaiting trial. It's not the most action packed series ever, but it's really well written, it's well acted and all the charecters are very realistic. You can firmly believe that the actions on screen would be how extremely wealthy spoilt teenagers would act.

There was a couple of things that were on the edge of being plot holes (I'll put them in spoiler tags if anybody else has watched it) and I can see some people being upset with the ending but I really enjoyed it. 8/10

My main problem with the plot was in the last episode during the trial. Samir is the key witness to say that Maja shot and killed Amanda on purpose. However throughout the show we see that Samir hates Sebastian. Sebastian is openly racist towards him, and despite Maja sleeping with Samir and telling him she'll break up with Seb to be with him, she ends up staying with Sebastian. However none of this is mentioned in the trial. Surely that would have come to light and the jilted ex lover angle would have been a great way to dismiss what he was saying... but yet these amazing hot shot lawyers don't mention it? :laugh:

I also thought it was a bit weird that they spent time showing that both Maja and Sebastian were decent shots when they went hunting, but then the plot and twist at the end relies on both of them being terrible shots; with Sebastian only grazing Samir who was lying on the floor a foot away and Maja hitting Amanda. Maybe it's supposed to be a red herring, but it just felt like a massive contradiction to me.

I can also see people being annoyed by the lack of answers at the end. I'm quite happy filling in the blanks myself but I can see why the explosives in the locker, if Maja knew what Sebastian was going to do etc being questions that some people need answered.

11. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Started watching Snowpiercer on Netflix which is loosely based on the 'far superior' film of the same name by Bong Joon Ho. I have to say that after reaching 4 episodes in I'm hoping for any form of derailment to spare its blushes.

#6291 Redpelt, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Panja likes this.
  12. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    "You" on Netflix.

"What would you do for love? For a brilliant male bookstore manager who crosses paths with an aspiring female writer, this question is put to the test. A charming yet awkward crush becomes something even more sinister when the writer becomes the manager's obsession. Using social media and the internet, he uses every tool at his disposal to become close to her, even going so far as to remove any obstacle --including people -- that stands in his way of getting to her."

I really enjoyed it. First series is slightly better than the second, but they're both still worth watching. It's a thriller so expect a good amount of tension and twists.

13. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Home Game is fun. Mental first episode

14. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Das Boot series 2

Still excellent, and the scope of the series has been expanded into the US, as well as the 'Jewish problem'. Also loving the hell-boat and crew under Wrangel, and how they know they are cursed for their actions. Gripping throughout, and it looks like a third series is on the way too. Will look forward to it.

9/10

15. The Doc

The Doc I'm you huckleberry

Supports:
    Manchester United
    True Detective Season 3

Excellent.

Gave season 2 a miss. Saw no positive reviews anywhere.

16. Panja

Supports:
    Marcella S3.

Anna Friel is once again superb in this third season, where's she's gone under cover to infiltrate a mob-like family. It was difficult viewing in parts and you have to pay attention to the plot so you know what's real and what's in Marcella's head as she suffers from a disfunctional fugue (not my diagnosis). It's also a bit slow in parts but worth investing the time.

7.4378/10

17. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    You would not believe just how shit S2 is :laugh:

I liked S3, and Ali and Dorff were terrific, but I just felt a little disappointed by the last couple of episodes or so. Felt as though it drifted away. The bulk of it was brilliant. And S1 is one of the best series of drama ever made.

The Doc likes this.