1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's going on in your life and general advice thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sandsy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don’t know a lot about your condition or your journey but do they offer any type of advice service you can use before making such a decision or have you met anyone on your journey that’s had or been offered the procedure? I assume there is no rush to make the decision?

The fact they can reverse it is remarkable as is you been in remission too, but only you knows how much your body can take etc. Is there high risks involved?

Well least you’ll savour them more. You might get more babysitting offers as they get older. I’m hoping I do :laugh:

2. Lord Cavendish

Lord Cavendish Happy Camper

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    :interesting:party:party:party.

C'mon guys relax a bit eh?

3. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Have you tried going on a carnivore diet mate? It has helped some people a lot, and if it helps you it might massively reduce the risk of a relapse and make the decision to get rid of the colostomy bag easier.

Crohn's Carnivore
    The Carnivore Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) – Guthack
    <-this is a thread with further anecdotes of people being helped by it
    Crohn's disease Archives - Meat Heals

EDIT: I appreciate that you're in remission right now so going onto it now might not help give you an indication as to whether or not it's benefiting you.

Andy-gers1 likes this.
  4. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    I am from UK, partner from Philippines.

5. T.A

T.A Registered User

Supports:
    Bury
    I don’t know how old you are but I’m 28 now, I’ve had crohns since I was 13 and at 21 I had to have a colostomy bag after my large intestine burst and even though I was gutted and it took me a while to get used to it but once I got used to it I realised it was making my life so much easier. Then I got the opportunity to reverse it which I took in heartbeat because everyone wants to be ‘normal’ and I was okay for a while but then it went downhill again. So now I have a colostomy bag for the rest of my life which isn’t great but it allows me to have a life which is great. Only you can make the decision really but just remember that health is everything.

Andy-gers1 and claret like this.
  6. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    My wife is an occupational therapist and she is pretty well known, as the OT with the dog. (Therapy dog not me!) If your lady wants any advice etc in occupational therapy just PM me and I’ll happily ask her.

EDIT: Funnily enough we’re going through a similar thing, I’m starting a degree this September and we’ll most likely be moving!

Andy-gers1 and AlissonWonderland like this.
  7. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Thanks very much man, appreciate that.

You'll know exactly what I'm feeling then. What a ballache. Good luck with your degree. I'm thinking of doing my masters when shes finished in 3 years. Plenty of time to procrastinate until then eh.

8. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 DELETE!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    I have spoken to folk that's had it done in the past, and it's a bag of mixed reviews. There is a someone I can speak to about it and that said person has told me to go for it.

I'm reluctant because before my last surgery I was in a bad way, I was down to 8 stone, couldn't move, was on deaths door. They operated on me (which never resulted in the bag) things started out well untill a few days later I passed out and woke up with the bag, the bag saved my life. It's a lot to adjust to but I really need to be grateful for the fact I'm still here. So, if I do decide to reverse things then it's a further 2\3 operations and don't want to go back down that route of illness and uncertainty again.

Thanks for this mate, I will have a proper read into to it.

That's the kind of reply I was hoping for. Thanks buddy.

I'm 30, was diagnosed in 2015, and got the bag in July 2015.

That's the fear i have, I can deal with my bag now, don't get me wrong it was a really tough process and was difficult to adjust to my new lifestyle but I eventually got there in the end.

I don't want to go through with all these for them to say, it's not working, you will need another bag.. the thought of staying in hospital for a number of weeks plays havoc with my anxiety.

9. Godolphin

Godolphin Banned

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Had blood tests Friday cos for ages I’ve suffered horrible abdominal pain, struggle eating and bad toilet wise. Had a phone call an hour ago asking me to book an appointment because liver enzymes were high (or something like that?) and wanting me to have more bloods + a liver ultrasound.

Anyone any experience with having a liver ultrasound and if they’re properly serious or can they be used to detect really minor things as well? I’ve said for ages somethings not right so now i’m sort of worried.

10. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    Appointment with the doc tomorrow to discuss my high blood pressure and why the numbness in my left hand has now spread to my whole arm :eeek

11. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    I had the same thing a few years ago and it turned out to be a fatty liver.

I grew up on fried food so they referred me to a gastroenterologist who basically told me to change my diet - stop eating bread, red meat only once or twice a week, by all means have the odd blow-out day (so a cheat day in effect) and cut down on sugary drinks, etc... Start doing some exercise as well if you're not already doing so. The basics really.

I started having salads for lunch rather than sandwiches, only have bread on a Friday or Saturday, I cut down on fizzy drinks and alcohol is literally 2-3 pints a week - except for special occasions. I have a cheat day on Saturdays when I'll have a takeaway, or takeaway type food and have a roast dinner most Sundays.

If I have a pig out sesh then I'll get a bit of pain in the liver, but by and large I'm much better now.

The only scary thing was that she said that if I didn't change then I'd definitely get diabetes and be at risk of a heart attack within the next 10 years (I was 30 at the time).

12. Soup Ladle

Soup Ladle Registered User

Supports:
    Hartlepool
    I've had liver ultrasounds, once because I had this dull pain in my liver for feckin ages, I'm quite fit and slimline so they put it down to alcohol after questioning me. I knew it was that, they didn't need to ask any questions, that's why I never went until i thought enough was enough. I got diagnosed with alcohol related fatty liver. Grade 2/4 (4 being cirrhosis). Told me there was abrasions on it and whilst not very serious it was a warning sign. Told me to give it for up a month and afterwards stick to the NHS guidelines and maintain my exercise and maintain my diet.

Thought I'd cracked it then a year later I got dengue fever which ****s up your organs and was flagged up again but had gone from grade 2 to 1 and that honestly made me very emotional. 2 years later, I stick to my limits which is 6-8 drinks a week (incl. social and on me tod) and I very rarely get any pain and no other symptoms associated which he told me to watch out for. So I deal with it. But if I go on an all dayer, it comes back so largely canned that. I've spent so much feckin time in hospitals over the last couple of years, it's so ****ing depressing.

Liver thing got my bro too @Si Robin only his was non alcohol fatty liver (or so he says) and he had to stop drinking for 6 months and follow what you say you're eating now.

All makes you think how ****ing fragile life is.

13. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Hope you get the answers you need. Good luck.

TLC likes this.
  14. T.A

T.A Registered User

Supports:
    Bury
    No problem let us know what you decide, has your consultant/surgeon given you a percentage wise of it working? I suppose it will depend on when your crohns is etc.

Yeah stays in hospitals aren't great, you can literally remove yourself from the outside world. I don't really like people coming to see me either as I'm not one for small talk so unless they are good at talking then I'd rather just do my own thing and wait to see them when I'm out. My mum and Dad used to get annoyed when I didn't seem to appreciate them coming but when you've done a few hospital stints - I did 3 months when I was first diagnosed at 13 the smallest thing can really irrtate you and that includes small talk.

But anyway good luck.

15. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    Went to visit my friend today. She is doing okay and getting some movement back in the left side of her body. Came at a bad time as she has a few events in the next month or so she was looking forward to which she will probably have to pull out of now. Made me grateful for my health and mobility.

16. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Going to start the Slimming World diet tomorrow. The class is on a Monday near me, so tomorrow is the day. I have no willpower whatsoever, but I have to do this. Whilst I could do with losing a bit of weight, it is more about eating better and drinking much less. Wine is very hard to factor in with the syns allowed each day. I will be allowed 15 syns a day, a bottle of wine is 30 syns :eyemouth:

Having to weigh in each week will, hopefully, make me keep on track

17. Leo

Leo Enter Sandman

Supports:
    The wife and two cats
    Lay off the wine (if you must) for 6 days then sink 3 bottles on a Saturday.......:drunk12

18. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I’m not sure that will do me much good :laugh:

19. Leo

Leo Enter Sandman

Supports:
    The wife and two cats
    Just evening things out...worth a shot I'd say.....;)

20. Missy Moo

Missy Moo Registered User

Supports:
    Man City

Could low calorie wine be an option ? :D