1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Are You Going This Year?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by AVA, Jan 9, 2015.

1. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    I'm there from the 8th to 15th. What area?

So close yet so far x

2. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Off to the Championship..

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Correlejo , I think it's how you spell it. Where you going?

3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Caleta de Fuste.

You ever been before? My first time. Will be visiting Corralejo as it's supposed to be mainly sand dunes and you can quad bike across them which will be brilliant.

4. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 DELETE!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers, Everton
    Malta, two weeks on Monday x

Canary Fairy likes this.
  5. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries

No, I've not. Been to Tenerife and Lanzarote, but this island looks to have the best beaches. Sounds like good fun. Don't mess the sand up too much before I get there... :laugh:

6. AlwaysABluebird

AlwaysABluebird Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Recently come back from my first holiday abroad.

Went to Tenerife for the week and I now have the holiday bug!

Want to do 2 weeks next year, not too worried about flight times, hoping for all inclusive, 2 weeks around May time.

Have a budget of about 1500pp.

Any ideas?

7. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    That's a big budget, you could do some nice places with that - Is it including spending money?

Would you like to leave Europe?

I'm going to Fuerteventura on Friday, I'll let you know how it is.

8. AlwaysABluebird

AlwaysABluebird Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Would be open to leaving Europe and it isn't including spending money, will have extra saved away for spending.

9. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I agree with RM, £1,500 is a huge budget per person. I too am going to Fuerteventura this month all inclusive and its around £750 each for the week (4*). We went to Costa Dorada in June and it was a fab hotel, right on the beach, and that was around £600.00 all inclusive each for the week (4+*). I am not sure the price doubles just because you are there for two weeks.

If I were you, I would be tempted to look further afield with that budget. We only go all inclusive because of the drinks during the day, evenings etc as it all mounts up. We went to Venice last month B&B and that was lovely as you could eat where you liked and the Italian cuisine is just lovely. Each to their own, but sometimes it is nice to get out of the hotel grounds but, if you have paid for it, you feel you have to stay put.

EDIT

I have had a quick look at Jet2holidays website...we went with them in June, and they were great.

Two weeks in Kos at the end of next May flying from Stansted, all inclusive starts around £699pp for a 4* and you can do 5* for £971pp. That includes 22kg of luggage and 10kg hand luggage and your coach transfers.

I don't want to treat you like an idiot but look on Tripadvisor before you book anything. I haven't had a bad holiday to date. You do sometimes have to weigh up some of the reviews but you get a general idea of what is good.

#389 Canary Fairy, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  10. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    I never do all inclusive. I'll have about 4 beers in the day which I'll happily pay the €2 each for, in the evenings I like to eat out in different places.

You'll always get amazing steak houses and the likes around popular resorts. Beats a buffet any day.

LFCmajorca and Panja like this.
  11. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I agree, but I drink vodka and it's not cheap like beer and soft drinks during the day aren't cheap either. We are doing all inclusive this time as I found a hotel I liked. Next year I would like to go to Greece, and we would go maybe B&B. Went all inclusive in June as we had my granddaughter with us and that worked brilliantly.

You do get to see a lot more of a place not going all inclusive.

12. Panja

Panja Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    All Inclusive works if you've got a young family or are staying in a resort where there's feck all for miles (Red Sea for example) or it's not that safe outside (Antigua, Jamaica). Going AI in places like Greece should be a hanging offence if you're not with young kids. There are usually so many great places to eat.

RM and LFCmajorca like this.
  13. LFCmajorca

LFCmajorca Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool FC, RCD Mallorca
    It also absolutely kills the resorts locally in Spain, Greece etc. The main tourist resorts that are full of restaurants and bars are slowly dying because the AI´s are stopping people spending outside the hotels. I understand that people like to pay up front so they dont have to worry about laying out for food and drink everyday on holiday but longterm it has a detrimental effect. People won´t want to visit these resorts if there is nothing but boarded up restaurants and bars outside their hotels.
    I spoke to a guy only yesterday who said to me he'd been coming here for over 15 years and this will be his last because "I like to have a walk about every night to see what's going on cos I don't want to look at the same four walls. I don't buy anything, like, cos I'm all inclusive but a lot of the bars have gone and it's not as busy as it used to be here now in the evenings. What's happened to the place?" AI is what happened.
    I see everyday how it is effecting the local trade. Also I hear everyday from a lot of clients how shite the AI food and drink is in the hotels. On average a pint here is 2euros.

I remember a TV advert (last year I think) by Thomsons telling people to leave their wallets at home because you wont need it. Familys were literally coming without a bean on them. It was ridiculous.

#393 LFCmajorca, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RM and Panja like this.
  14. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    It is, unless you're in a big resort that has several on site a la carte restaurants. But they're normally just a buffet. We had B&B booked in Fuerteventura, went down the first morning, looked at it, thought "f*ck that" and paid €15 for a lovely breakfast in town every morning.

I won't eat shit just because it's free.

Missy Moo, Panja and LFCmajorca like this.
  15. Panja

Panja Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    I think buffets are so depressing, opening up those lids like there's going to be something really tasty behind the trapdoor. We went to Aegina a few years ago and while the hotel was a bit further from the beach than we were led to believe (about 200ms), it was surrounded by loads of local tavernas and restaurants which all reeked of lovely food and atmosphere. There were couples in the hotel who were on AI who were saying, "Oh, we know what we like so we're staying put, don't want to get a dicky stomach eating the local shite"

16. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    How was Fuerteventura?

17. Kyletoonfan

Kyletoonfan Registered User

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    No where this year for me but off to Disney World in April then in August hoping to go to Tenerife as well San Blas in Tenerife lovely place both are totally different holidays but amazing places.

18. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Amazing. One of them holidays I was genuinely gutted to leave.

We had great weather and great evening entertainment, which for me is what a holiday is about.

Plan to go back next year but maybe to Corralejo.

September was the perfect time to go too. Hardly any kids, it was ideal.

19. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Great, sounds perfect :) Glad you had a good time.

I've nothing against kids, but wouldn't enjoy too many around :laugh:

#399 Canary Fairy, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM