1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will England boycott the Russia World Cup?

Discussion in 'International Football' started by SusanScottishfan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Yeah thats my concern

2. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I was in St Petersburg for 4 days for our game against Zenit last month.

Not stirring here as I've just seen this thread but any English going over should really keep a low profile. Was talking to many Russian fans and lets just say they are awaiting the arrival of the English eagerly.

That was fans, who knows what the organised hooligans have in store. For those saying there won't be that much trouble. . . . i'd certainly dispute that from what I was told.

3. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Most people I’ve met who are trained in martial arts seem disciplined and shy away from confrontation. But the Russians seem to make use of it to ambush rival fans, regardless of whether they are looking for trouble.

It seems to be indiscriminate, attacking those who are obviously weaker, such as guys in their 50s.

All this from a country that is regressing. They de-criminalised domestic violence recently!

Any England fan who wears colours or drinks with other fans will be a target.

4. SHED

SHED Ezekiel 23:20

Supports:
    Working Class Pride Worldwide
    This says it all

Putin's cronies encouraged what happened in France as a show of Russian strength. Some say the authorities wont let that happen again on Russian soil - I'd be very scared if I was going, can see people being killed. 'We' may of invented football hooliganism - they've taken it to a whole new level.

5. Dan

Dan CHAMPIONS!

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    God, I’ve grown to really dislike Russia recently. All the fighting, domestic violence being legal, the political shitstorm that is going on at the moment.

They’re also miserable f*ckers, on my trip to Goa there was a lot of Russians, but I have not seen one laugh or smile. Stone faced.

6. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    All the Russians I’ve met have been mental, hard as nails but friendly with it. Such an amazing country, ungovernably vast, unfortunately they are run by a bunch of criminals. The gangsters at the top have little to do with the lives of the vast majority.

Going to be interesting to see the reaction to the national side though. Massive doping scheme, FIFA and its officials in their pocket and it looks like they’re still going to stink the place out. I wonder who Putin will invade this time as a distraction?

7. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    The problems in France were stopped, and prevented after Marseille, because the French authorities deported all of the Russians that were causing problems. That can't happen in Russia, and there will be an awful lot more Russians looking to cause problems due to the difficulty of getting from remoter parts of Russia to Marseille.

I imagine corruption within the Russian police is probably very heavy. You've also got to bear in mind that Putin didn't condemn his own fans or recognise an issue when Marseile happened. I imagine that heavy handed Russian police will be a part of the problem of violence in the tournament.

8. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Agree, the ones I met were friendly and welcoming. Their hooligans on the other hand are mental and in a different league from the arseholes in Amsterdam yesterday who soaked women tourists with beer and flung bikes into canals. . . .(their hooligans are arseholes also)

Most of them won't travel to Russia as their antics in Amsterdam was their level but if they're daft enough and do travel they'll find out that throwing drink over women isn't what the Russian hooligans are into and it'll be a heavy lesson they'll learn.

Also agree with Cotteril above. . . . the police will not only turn a blind eye, they'll actively encourage the violence.

#28 Lisbon 67, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  9. SusanScottishfan

SusanScottishfan Registered User

Supports:
    Ross County
    I hope the Syria crisis does not lead to World War Three. If that happens there might not be any world cup.

10. Never Alone

Never Alone Registered User

:laugh:

11. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    To be honest, I thought we had boycotted every world cup since 66 ;)

Never Alone likes this.
  12. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Absolutely Clueless

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Might be for the better for us England fans tbh