1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Within the spirit of the game?

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by buzzbee, Nov 6, 2017.

1. buzzbee

buzzbee Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    I saw something yesterday in a women’s game and thought it would make a good point for discussion.

There are some situations where a team acts within the laws of the game, though not necessarily within the spirit. An obvious example would be when a team puts the ball out for an injured player to get treatment, the other team is not obliged to give it back, but to not do so is considered unsporting

The situation yesterday?... Arsenal Women vs Reading Women. Arsenal have just equalised at 1-1. From the kick off, the Arsenal goalie was off her line and got lobbed straight from the kick off!

The Arsenal goalie returned to the ball straight to the centre, while the Reading players ran to the touch line to celebrate. While they did this, Arsenal called to the referee to blow his whistle, which he duly did and Arsenal kicked off. All 10 outfield Reading players were on the touchline in a bundle, leaving Arsenal with a clear run through to goal, with only the goalie to beat. Amazingly, they made a complete mess of it and didn’t even get to the penalty area, before giving the ball away to the Reading players who were all charging back en masse

There is a very unusual situation that allowed this to happen. Usually, goals are scored from well inside the oppositions half and the celebration then tends to happen in that half. Play cannot resume until all of the players are back in their half. Generally, the whistle only goes when everyone is in their positions and ready, but there is no actual requirement for this is the laws. In this case, the goal was scored from the half way line, with all other Reading players in their own half, so the celebrations happened in the Reading half, on the touchline, about 10 yards from the corner flag. Therefore, when Arsenal asked the referee to allow them to start, he had no reason to say no.

I support Reading, so my view may be slightly clouded, but IMHO, to kick off when the other team is celebrating the goal is legal, but unsporting. I would be interested to hear the views of neutrals. Imagine you saw this in a Premier League game and you didn’t support either team. What would your thoughts be?

2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Moderately extreme
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Whilst I'm surprised the referee blew for the restart knowing the Reading players were still celebrating once the whistle is blown the game is back on. Certainly a bit unsporting of the Arsenal players to attempt to score in those circumstances but maybe the old boxing adage 'defend yourself at all times' applies?

3. buzzbee

buzzbee Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    The referee would usually wait for everyone to be back in position. However, this is an accepted norm, rather than a requirement by the laws of the game. According to the laws of the game, the game can be re-started, as long as all players are on the field and in their own half (It is unusual for celebrations to take place in a teams’ own half)

As it is the accepted norm, the referee was waiting, but Arsenal saw the chance to take advantage and asked him to allow the re-start. As the Reading players were in their own half, he would have been wrong to refuse this request, so he had to blow the whistle and wave them on to have a free run at the goalie

I spoke with the referee after the game. You could tell that he didn’t want to re-start the game. However, he must do so if Arsenal want him to. He did nothing wrong. In fact, no one really did anything wrong. I just felt there was an element of a lack of sportsmanship about it, though I suspect it is a view that won’t be shared by all!

4. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Celebrating a goal is part and parcel of the game. Don't want to see the players just running back into their own half straight after a goal.

5. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    I'm not sure what your point is, given if you celebrate in the other team's half, the other team can't kick off anyway?

The Doc likes this.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    In my mind it's no different to taking a quick free kick while the opposition stand arguing with the referee about the decision. If you choose to piss about instead of concentrating on the game, then it's your own fault I'd say.

Nobody wants to stop goal celebrations altogether but the length of time they take up sometimes has become redicilous and it isn't always added onto the stoppage time (feel free to check this yourself).

So I'd go further and bring in a rule that says that a team can ask the ref to blow for the restarts 30 seconds after a goal has been given should they wish to, regardless of whether the opposition are in their own half ir they can choose to wait until they are back.

If they then lose the ball and are at a disadvantage that's the gamble but i reckon it would result in players getting back into position and restarting the game more quickly.

Maje it 45 seconds if u think 30 is too short

7. buzzbee

buzzbee Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Just for the record, the incident in the original post would not have come under the guise of an excessive celebration.

Because the Reading goal was scored straight from the kick off, the Arsenal players were all pretty much in their positions. The goalie immediately picked the ball out of the goal and kicked it to the centre and as one of her team mates put the ball down, the goalie realised the situation and shouted to kick off. One of the forwards called to the referee, he looked over to see where the reading players were and blew. In all, I would say it was less than 10 seconds from the goal being scored.

8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None

Nothing about that changes anything I've said to be fair.

9. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Seen it before in a Celtic v Rangers game no less. . .

[​IMG]

The ball is with the Rangers player closest in the photo. Then ref was obviously upset we scored and tried to even the scoreline by restarting the game with 2 of our players in position. Two on the park but behind the ball and 7 off the park celebrating.

10. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    FFS you're a different level of paranoid

11. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Aye because you see it all the time eh :laugh:

12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    Don't know what you're moaning about, he'd have been quite within his rights to have booked all 7 of them for leaving the pitch without permission.

13. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Within his rights?. . .it's either a booking or it isn't?

Also the game was in 1994 and if he booked them he wouldn't have been able to start the game with them off the park.

#13 Lisbon 67, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    By the letter of the law, he's right..

upload_2017-11-13_22-59-33.png

15. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Did you see any players booked for leaving the field after a goal in 1994?

16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    What is this, a history lesson?

17. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    It's a thread in the General British Football section.

18. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    As if he had a point:laugh:

19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None

And dragging up intances of perceived injustice is very interesting

20. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Simply stating I had saw the situation before.

Your last 2 posts have been on this thread have been fascinating though :laugh: