1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'International Football' started by DeadlyDemon, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    As in trying to gain a free kick or just losing control of the ball?

2. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    They were just falling down. Could have been due to the weather conditions.

3. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Are you kidding? Compared to recent years and certainly previous Womens World Cups the standard of goalkeeping has improved massively

4. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    The standard of football yesterday between Holland and Cameroon was dire. Terrible watch. Have been reading that cheating and feigning injuries doesnt happen in the womens game but yesterday one of the Cameroon players was at it all game.

The Dutch striker Miedema has some record though. Only 22 and has a record of 196 club games and 172 goals. 77 international games and 60 goals. Shes bound to go on to create some record.

5. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Yeah - it's a myth. The Argies basically shithoused all through their game against our girls the other day. I've actually seen far worse than that Neth/Cam game. I can enjoy it up to a point and usually get into the tournaments to some degree, but it really is like a different sport. I was impressed by a few of the Canada players yesterday - they looked a decent team.

I do sympathise with the goalkeepers a little. The goals are so big, too big really. And of course there's the old notion that goalkeepers' mistakes are all the more apparent. The level of decision-making tends to be very poor all over the field, but the consequences are all the more obvious for the goalkeepers.

But I think the biggest problem with this is the sheer volume of mismatches. Nearly every game I've watched has been a mismatch. I went and looked at the lines for the upcoming games the other day - at that time, 4 of the next 8 matches had a favourite priced at 1.10 or less (may even have been 1.05!). I think two were 1.40 or below, and there was only one where the favourite was as long as evens. No doubt there'll be more interesting matchups to come, but a lot of these group stage matches feel more like routine qualifiers.

Have to say the England group seem a really likeable bunch and I hope they can win this. And definitely a cut above most teams.

Jezza likes this.
  6. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Thai goalkeeper is 1.70 m according to Wikipedia. Average goals scored per match in this World Cup is 3.08. In Russia 2018, we saw an average 2.64 goals per match.

7. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    I suppose that the women’s professional game is still quite a new thing for many countries, with a few nations much further down the road. Wasn’t that long ago either that the men’s tournament was much more uneven in terms of quality as well.

Super_horns likes this.
  8. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Yeah they need to make the goals smaller, routine saves in the men's game are goals just because some of the GKs are too short to reach the cross bar. Ruins it even more than the poor quality.

9. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Well, certain there are quality women players who are over 1.75 m

10. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Whoever you say I support
    I didn’t mention anything about previous tournaments - it may well have improved, but if it has then it clearly isn’t saying much. The goalkeeping and defending has been Sunday league stuff for the most part. Absolutely atrocious.

11. buzzbee

buzzbee Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Goalies are of a lower standard than we might see in the main men’s leagues. In addition, defences aren’t as good and tight to the forwards… Problem? Nah! What that does do is create more goals and some very good quality finishes.

That’s the trade-off I guess. IMHO, while the pure quality and ability to do everything by the text-book isn’t there, but that results in other positives that make it entertaining in a different way

StewieJT and Dirk like this.
  12. Dirk

Dirk Wir kommen wieder!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Absolutely!

tbh I don't like these eternal comparisons with men's football (and the women in football don't like it either. A german player (btw what's the female version? playeress?) said it just a few days ago in the media). We don't do it in other sports (basketball, volleyball, handball etc) either, do we?

Anyway, those who think it's below sunday league level etc should just don't watch it. Simple as. I enjoy women's football, too.

Btt: Today we play our last group match against South Africa. We're already qualified for the next stage but we need at least 1 points to make sure we hold #1 spot. That's important because we could avoid the US team a bit longer. They're still my favourites. Had no real problems with Chile in their 3-0 win with a B-team.
    The chilean goalkeeper saved a lot of chances of the US girls

btw: Her name, Claudia Christiane Endler, suggests that she's of german descent.

13. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Just a player. None of that masculine / feminine, spieler / spielerin nonsense here ;)

14. Dirk

Dirk Wir kommen wieder!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Nonsense? Oi! ;)

btw: At least your women's team is called Lionesses and not Lions then ;)

DeadlyDemon likes this.
  15. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    So? There are loads of goals at this World Cup that were goals only because the GKs are midgets. In general women are shorter than men so it would be logical to make the goals smaller. You get tall women but then filter that down to how many want to play football, then again to how many want to be GKs, then once again to how many are good GKs & you're not left with many. If anyone has a tall daughter etc then tell them to take up football & play in goal cos they'll be in demand...

16. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    France are getting some luck in this competition. Guess this is part of being the host nation and gaining a few advantages from officials

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  17. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    VAR seems to be working in France's favour - they got a penalty in their last game and one tonight with the defender being sent off and they were allowed to re-take it as the Nigerian goalie was adjudged to have come off her line too early!

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  18. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Yeah I agree the comparisons are annoying. Biology dictates that elite female players are shorter, slower, weaker and less powerful than elite male players and the result of that is a game that looks and feels different to the men's game. But it doesn't stop it form being entertaining just because women aren't physically capable of playing at the same pace and power as the men.

Like you say, it doesn't happen in other sports. No one slaughters the women's 100m champion because her winning time is far slower than the slowest time in the men's first round heats. And the fact that amateur county level male sprinters can run far faster too. The biological differences are just accepted and female athletics champions are celebrated for being the best women in the world rather than being lampooned for not being anywhere near as good as the men. It's true that you'd have to go a long way down the men's football pyramid until you found a level that the World Cup winning women's team would be competitive. But that's not really relevant.

It's a tough one. Logically women's football should play with smaller goals to reflect the fact that the current goals are designed for the height of male goalkeepers who are far taller on average. And should probably play on smaller pitches too. But if those changes were made it would contribute further to the stereotype of women's football being a bit of a joke and being an inferior product. So maybe they're best keeping things as they are and evolving the game to cope with the challenges.

Ollie likes this.
  19. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Is this just a case of them finally enforcing the 'goalkeeper must stay on line rule' because VAR is available to manage it? I've always seen it as a daft rule anyway as it's a natural move for a keeper to push forward in a dive.

I mean, I understand that if a keeper runs to within a few yards of the ball before the penalty is taken they gain an advantage but the Nigerian keeper being an inch off her line did not cause the French player to fluff her penalty wide

Super_horns likes this.
  20. The only Greek here

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    True.

Ollie likes this.