1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Jason, Jun 7, 2019.

1. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Not sure why you thought I was offended. The point I was making is that no-one likes arrogant winners. Shows a complete lack of class and I wouldn't want my team doing it. The rest of the world will catch up with the US eventually, it's just a slow process. In fact, a slight offside and scuffed penalty were the only difference, despite the England team barely being able to pass to their own side at times, so I don't think the US are as good as they believe, it's just that most of the rest is poor.

Boz and BoscombeLass like this.
  2. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Multicultural Marxist

Supports:
    USA
    I know.

3. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    Support: Bath City, Fan: Liverpool
    Reminds me when last year the whole world hated the fact we kept saying "It's coming home" stating we're arrogant without realising we were saying it in jest to ourselves because we didn't think we'd get that far so we ironically quoted a football song from the 90's :laugh: It was only when we got to Croatia did we think "...maybe?" and the rest is history. Made worse when we beat them in a pointless match a month or two later :laugh:

Again outside of a couple of players, it's not the USA team itself that it seems the people are against, but the fans. So many people online be it social media, forums etc. are laughing and joking about how shit English football and taking the piss out of the English/British culture, which is fine as that's what most of the world does and we'd be hypocrits to call out nations on it. But then you see in their bios that they're from LA, New York etc. and support Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and the like, completely forgetting what country those clubs are based in and bash that said nation is completly comical :laugh:

That and once the WC is over, 80% of the US population probably won't give a damn about football for another 4 years.

EDIT: Some fans, not all.

Boz and BoscombeLass like this.
  4. Marty_LFC

Supports:
    USA
    I don't think the sport is mature enough here for the more casual fans to create the distinction between club and national team football...

And I actually liked the whole "it's coming home" stuff from last year! I think the weirdness comes when people start believing in the joke.

And we'll all care in less than 4 years if the men get their sh*t together and figure out how to get part Trinidad and Tobago this time :laugh:

Iron_Dukem and Dirk like this.
  5. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    tbh some nations already catched up in the last decades. Some forget that Germany won the Women's World Cup 2-times in a row, 2003, 2007 and Japan in 2011. We are still Olympic Gold winners 2016. No USA here. But the point is, the US have a much bigger pool of women football players than any other nation because it's their most prominent womens sport (at least I think so). Germany actually has a transition phase since the last Euro but we'll be competitive again. And other nations like England have closed the gap too.

The US women have still a phenomenal record. Reaching the semi-final in all 8 World Cups so far.

I'll never understand this tbh. It's a sporting event why always bring some hatred in it or mocking about the cultures of the opponent. I mean, I don't want the Dutch or the Italians to win something but I love Italy and even like the Netherlands as a country. A bit of banter is okay for me but when it gets personal or insulting then it's not ok anymore.

That said, I want Sweden to win today :D (if Netherlands win it they could even win the World Cup and that would be shite because then they would hold both titles Euro-Champ and World Champ at the same time. Germany has done that twice and I would hate it to see the Netherlands do it too ;) )

6. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    We didn't bring the Russians on...they played their own game...are you thinking of emigrating to USA when we leave the EU Zipp lol?

Boz likes this.
  7. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Well we'll see if the men get past Jamaica later. I've no idea how they could have lost out to Panama in the last WC qualifiers! It's hard not to qualify from CONCACAF. Even Mexico look poor these days.

BoscombeLass likes this.
  8. Marty_LFC

Supports:
    USA
    It will be very much on brand for them to be the wet blanket on the women's victory... And on the eve of Independence day too!

9. Schindler

Schindler Registered twat

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    I think it’s disgustingly arrogant behaviour from USA. No need for it.

BoscombeLass and Soup Ladle like this.
  10. BoscombeLass

BoscombeLass Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Finally calmed down from last night, I have an American in my office and she was ashamed of the memes and arrogance of the team let alone the goal celebration last night.

If it was a gesture of tea drinking, then its referring to it as our national beverage. I think beer is more popular and Brazilians consume more tea/coffee anyway. Having her finger in an upwards position is a British stereotype, which made it look like spliff smoking.

She says the US team have the physical ability of men, making it unfair on everyone else.

I am all up for banter, but bringing in wars from three centuries ago to ruffle feathers, creating memes and having no respect for your opponents and their culture I have no time for.

Boz and SJ Mackem like this.
  11. Marty_LFC

Supports:
    USA
    Again you're entitled to feel the way that you do, but I don't think any of this is as deep as you're making it out to be. The memes could be a symptom of ignorance from the Americans' end, but again it goes both ways and none of it is personal or malicious.

12. Dirk

Dirk Wir sind der HSV!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    and not to forget the disgustingly behaviour of Alex Morgan, trying to save time by moving to the corner pole everytime at the end of the match. No need for it. ;)
    If I had @AlissonWonderland 's "Delete" guy meme available, I would post it now to say to you: "Delete her as your actual avatar". But nah, you won't make it, right? Because she's hot :laugh:

AlissonWonderland likes this.
  13. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    It was clear as day that were taking the piss out of ourselves, we even meme'd ourselves a lot. We weren't arrogantly, just humrously pessimistic as a lot of us thought we'd get knocked out by Colombia but said "it's coming home" to lighten the mood of the potential inevitable :laugh:

We struggled against them in the 2006 tbf, although that was 13 years ago and at least it was in the World Cup finals :laugh:

Because they knocked us out two days before their 4th July stuff, it made for the "perfect" ammunition for the fans to bring in that cultural aspect. I agree, however, the German-English rivalry stems from the two wars and the same with us and Argentina too, so cultural past will no doubt persist in these rivalries. I personally don't like Germany because they always facking beat us and on penalties too :laugh: I don't hate the country though as I have met some amazing German friends at University and through working at summer schools prior and I have no doubt the country is great to visit. The past was the past, we move on and so I'm not hung up on what Germany did in the two world wars for it was decades before my lifetime. Besides, speaking football with the German is always a laugh...usually at our expense mind :laugh:

14. Schindler

Schindler Registered twat

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    I wish she squatted on the corner flag. Hmmm....

15. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Don't worry, it's the wimmins cup, nobody would notice or care.

16. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    Hope Solo AGAIN!? Looking forward to the World Cup being over just to get her off my screen.

BoscombeLass likes this.
  17. Marty_LFC

Supports:
    USA
    I will defend our women and our fans like I have, and I will continue to do so.

I will not defend Hope Solo blabbering on television and I apologize you are subjected to that. I hope that this isn't the final straw in what is already a fragile relationship between our two great nations.

18. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    I just don't like her punditry any more more or less than I dislike Jonathan Pearce's commentary (who's English). Nothing to do with her nationality, she's just a nonce. Of all the American greats we could've had on the BBC team, we had to have Solo. Her personality is so false pretending to be this caring and considerate human with all the history of her being a toxic twat being in the open.

BoscombeLass and Marty_LFC like this.
  19. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    "Two great nations" :laugh: !?

We stopped being great when we gave the Empire back to the rabble we conquered in the first place and the yanks are famous for turning up late for wars, being undisputed world champions at friendly fire and having lots of people so fat that they have arse cheeks in different time zones, you're having a laugh.

Camphil likes this.
  20. Marty_LFC

Supports:
    USA
    We get it, your gimmick is some sort of wannabe emperor of the planet where women aren't allowed to play sports.