1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'International Football' started by DeadlyDemon, Jun 7, 2019.

1. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I suppose the line has to be drawn somewhere or else you'll get inconsistent enforcement. Just how far off the line will be too far? So the one foot on the line rule makes sense.

It'll be interesting if this rule does start getting enforced now in the men's game. The rule has always existed but almost never enforced and goalkeepers have been edging further and further off their line over the years to the point of becoming ridiculous at times. There will be initial chaos if it does happen but in the interest of fairness I think it'll be a good thing once it settles down and keepers get used to it.

2. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Yeah I get that a line needs to be drawn somewhere I just think the rule is unfair on goalkeepers. The odds are already stacked against them when facing a shot that is 12 yards away whilst trying to cover an area that is 24 foot wide and now they are unable to perform their correct technique until the ball is struck

3. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Makes a mockery of it when daft goals go in anyway & it'll be seen as an inferior product no matter what because it is.

I actually think the women's game would benefit from differentiating itself from the men's game in more significant ways, as a much shitter version of the men's game is only gonna hold so much appeal. I'm not a big rugby fan but I'm much more likely to watch rugby 7s than the more popular version as it's got more action... Anything like that to give them an edge on the men's game & make it more exciting would be good. I realize it would get pissed on cos of equality etc, would harm the USA team's ridiculous crusade for pay parity with the men etc. For these reasons I'd be shocked to see them going for smaller goals never mind bigger changes.

#83 Ollie, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    The Valiant likes this.
  4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Was rather harsh - its not like she saved the penalty as you say and on both penalties French players were encroaching too.

I am for VAR making sure really bad errors are cut out or like Sam says they don't go OTT in terms of coming off the line etc are but that incident did seem a bit petty....

We will probably have managers and players saying "ah but last week x goalie wasn't punished" etc..

Tomohawk likes this.
  5. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Yeah you're absolutely correct. But ultimately it's gone too far now in terms of women's football playing with men's sized equipment and there's no way the clock can be turned back. So it's about making the best they can and improving the standard.

Ultimately that will happen over time if the women's game keeps growing. More acceptance of women and girls playing football/sport in general will mean more girls stick with football after puberty (which is traditionally the huge drop off point for female sport) and will increase the talent pool which filters into the higher levels of the game. More people watching women's matches both at the grounds and on TV will increase gate receipts, sponsorship and the size of TV deals and mean that more women can afford to play professionally and have access to better quality coaching and facilities. If this happens I think it'll eventually increase the quality to a level where it's sustainable. Female goalkeepers will never be as tall or have the same spring as male goalkeepers, but equally female players can't hit the ball as hard as male players either. So in time it'll balance out a bit as goalkeeping standards improve and their positioning gets better to reduce the number of daft looking goals. The speed and strength of the outfield players will increase too if the talent pool widens with greater participation.

Ollie likes this.
  6. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Yeah it will improve naturally as you say. I think the top female player gets about 400k a year so it's already come a long way. It's just that unfortunately it's gonna be shit for a good while yet.

7. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I don't understand why VAR doesn't enforce encroachment on penalties. It happens every time.

8. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Well it did in terms of the keeper but the attackers were doing it as well.

9. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Phil Neville needs telling no-one gives a shit.

He thinks hes some top manager or something.

10. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Oh look Karen Bardsley has just saved a shot that was heading into the top corner......

11. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    And the Lionesses are in front

12. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    Commentator and people on twitter going nuts about the saves from the japan keeper. Replays come up and they're both fairly standard.
    I think more people would be interested in watching and getting behind their country if it wasn't constantly overhyped like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    Support: Bath City, Fan: Liverpool
    BBC Red button being such a blessing. Jonathan Pearce's commentary grated the last nerve :laugh:

14. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Bit harsh that, it is the peak of the women's game.

I'm enjoying this tournament. If you take it for what it is and don't compare it with the men's game, it's entertaining.

15. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Because that never happens with the overpaid, prima donnas in the men's game does it?

16. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The touch on some of these when running at pace is shocking.

17. SALTIRE

SALTIRE SlĂ inte mhath!

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool FC
    Probably better than the Scotland Men's team's touches tbf though! :laugh:

The lassies doing the biz tonight, on for a good win. :)

18. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Registered User

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Good win for Scotland tonight (subject to them not ****ing it up). What do they need to happen in tomorrow night's matches to qualify?

As for England, they are facing a bit of pressure in the 2nd half. Will be a good test of their character

19. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    This just feels like England v Croatia last year and the Netherlands game the other week. Slender 1-0 lead and being dominated, just feels like a matter of time for the equaliser.

20. The only Greek here

The only Greek here Registered User

Supports:
    AEK Athens
    Argentina going for a comeback?