1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Aston Villa v Norwich

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Fairy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Norwich travel to the West Midlands and up against Aston Villa this weekend. How will our defenders cope with Darren Bent? Who will Lambert put up front for us?

I think we should stick to the same starting team as last week, leaving Holt and Jackson on the bench. Aston Villa have only won 1 out of their last 8 games, but I think I would take a point here ahead of the game.

I'll say 1-1

Last time I went to Villa Park was to see the Canaries play Everton in the cup on 15th April 1989, the day of the Hillsborough disaster :(

2. Kiz

Kiz Proud Stander!

Supports:
    Tottenham, Dartford
    I think it will be a draw.

I will go with 1-1. Norwich have probably been a little better then Villa so far.

3. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I fancy us to put in a good showing here thats not to say we'll get a positive result mind you! I think it might be one of those games where we miss a few chances and the experienced premiership strikers in Bent & Agbonlahor are clinical. 1-0 to Villa but with us coming out of the game with many plaudits. Has to be the same team again I guess.

4. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Yeh same team I would imagine. I think Lambert would have chopped and changed more had we not come back, which is good news for Fox and Bennett who were pretty ineffectual against Blackburn and went off before we scored our second.

I was gonna be boring and say 1-1 as well actually. Some Villa fans seem to be tiring of McLeish already and the atmosphere could get poisonous if we start well. That said, they're clearly streets ahead of us man for man and Bent's bound to score against us at some point, he often does. Let's hope we can walk away with a point, we're good enough at the minute.

5. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Looks like we were wrong, Holty up front alongside Morison. A return to the diamond maybe...?

6. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Have to say I am getting a bit fed up with our defence, just leaking goals left right and centre at the moment. I think we might have conceded a goal in every single game this season? I accept Villa have good attacking players and sometimes you have to hold your hands up but the 2nd goal was terrible, Barnett not up to it really, I have my doubts about Martin aswell, the same could probably be said about Naughton too. I think we have to look at bringing someone new in or draft either Ward or Ayala in whenever they become fit.

I saw the game on a stream and there are a few positives to take, showed we can cause decent sides problems away from home. Superb freekick from Pilkington and a great cross from Holt for the Morison goal. A bit of a frustrating one in the end cos if we were a bit stronger at the back then there was something in that game for us.

I guess your never going to get something in every away game at this level so be a bit stupid to be too downbeat, just need to sort the defending out as at the moment were always needing to score at least 2 to win a match!

7. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Proof, if proof were needed, that some fans will moan regardless of how we're doing.

Frustrating not to keep a clean sheet again, frustrating not to have taken any points away from this and silly goals to have given away, but we're 9th ffs, and the defence have largely been solid before today - sure we haven't kept any clean sheets but we've not let in loads. I admit today that we were poor at the back and the second goal in particular was irritating, terrible backpass when Barnett should have booted it into the stands and then a weedy challenge from Ruddy. It'd be good to see Whitbread and Ayala back for some competition but I'm not counting down the days.

I think our biggest problem was Lambert setting up to win this with an overly attacking line-up. Kudos to him for being brave and giving it a go but we were way too open at the end of the first half and beginning of the second. I was critical of Fox after Blackburn (and tbh he wasn't that great when he came on) but it feels like we need him to sit infront of the back four to keep ourselves together. Johnson/Crofts and Hoolahan as a centre midfield is too attacking at a place like Villa Park really and I think we found that out today. Still a fantastic performance from Pilkington I thought, and impressed with Wes generally going forward, just can't expect him to do too much in a two man centre-midfield.

This was our worst away performance of the season and we didn't really deserve the points but the point is we still gave Villa a good game in the end and the difference in resources between the two clubs is astronomical. No shame in defeat really, just need to make sure we learn from it.

8. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Agbonlahor was the problem. I was surprised Lambert changed it, esecpially away from home. I think Morison and Holt would have been a good choice in the last game against Blackburn - we put in a lot of good crosses but nobody there to get on the end of it. We didn't yesterday.

I think we should have gone with 2 holding players - that would have allowed our fullbacks to go tight on Agonlahor and Nzogbia with the back up of a holding playing covering. That would have hopefully cut off the supply to Bent and controlled Agbonlahor and I think we would have got something.

Bent is just excellent if you give him a chance - if the service to him is good he will score. Agbonlahor ran our defence ragged and put in half a dozen top quality crosses.

Very disappointing with the second goal - a real blow after half-time. Terrible back pass and Ruddy was poor. Had he gone to kick the ball with any conviction or got down to smother it then he may not have scored. Look closely on match of the day, he gets there at the same time but chickens out. He should have kicked it as hard as he could if anything - essentially a firm block tackle was needed.

On the positive Pilkington was excellent again - fantastic freekick and looking like he will get 10 this season. Certainly looking a snip at 2mil. Morrison scored again and linked up well with Holt for the goal.

Our performances in general have been good. There are certain things you need to stay up - an away win, good home form and clean sheets. The clean sheet thing is a real concern - a lot of that has been down to penalties though, but we are going to need some.

9. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Very disappointed with that dreadful backpass and, like said above, Ruddy didn't wack it out. Great free kick from Pilkington.

I will miss the next two home games but looking forward to hearing the scores. I will be able to watch the Arsenal game on Sky. Could have sold my season ticket a few times over :laugh: