1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Canaries v Swans

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Fairy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Norwich entertain fellow promoted Swansea at Carrow Road this weekend.

Swansea come into the game after a 2-0 win over Stoke. We come in after a loss but, nonetheless, a great performance against Man Utd.

We really need a win, but Swansea play some nice football and its not going to be easy. Think we have to play Hoolahan and maybe Morison up front again. Simeon Jackson apparently scored a hatrick for Canada last week. He's not been given a chance in Lambert's Premiership team yet so don't know whether that would be worth a try? He has the pace.

Im going for an optimistic 2-1 home win

2. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Wouldn't read too much into Jackson's hatrick which against a useless St Lucia side who Canada hit 7 past!

Looking forward to this one, two newly promoted sides that have made similar starts to the season both playing good football at the same time. You'd think we were slight favourites with Swansea's not particulary great away record under Rodgers. I think if it was at the Liberty they'd be clear favourites. I wouldn't neccessarily say we need to win it as there's too much football to played before we start having must win matches. It is however the sort of game we can get all 3 points from- although Swans fans are probably thinking exactly the same!

I think its going to be a difficult one, Swansea play really good passing football which is difficult to live with at times, we know they wont give much away at the back either. I have a feeling it will be a good match with goals in it, just fancy Swansea in this one, think they have a bit more quality about them IMO, 3-2, Allen, Lita, Graham, Morison and Hoolahan.

You've got to stick with the same team again from the previous matches, looking forward to it.

#2 canary10, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  3. JH1980

JH1980 Law Unto Myself

Supports:
    Cardiff City FC
    Good luck Canaries :)

4. Jim_NCFC

Jim_NCFC Registered User

Quite nervous about this one as Swansea have pace on the wings and up front and when we struggle it tends to be against pace. I thought they were the best team we played last season although strangely we managed to beat them at home when they outplayed us for large chunks of the game before losing away when I actually thought we deserved something from the game.

That said we have more pace at the back now and have been looking stronger with every passing game. They are not great away from home and our confidence should still be high. We therefore need to ensure we get them on the back foot from the outset and impose our game on them rather than let them knock it around and play their passing game.

Can't see anything other than un unchanged side for this one. Formation is working well and players seem to know their role. Jackson or Holt could come in for Mozza but that would be harsh on him given his recent efforts.

5. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Agreed. Very impressed with them in both fixtures against us last season and they've obviously strengthened since then so there's definitely enough to be worried about, even if on paper this is a game we should be winning.

The fact that we're not being damned with the phrase 'early six-pointer' (or at least I haven't heard it used yet) shows that both sides have started pretty well, got to be happy both being in the top 10 anyway. I hoped that we'd both be able to stay up and we've started well enough to suggest that's possible. The worry for Swansea will come from the wings I guess, not such a bad thing for us this year as Tierney and Naughton have been two of our outstanding players. Naughton in particular I think will have enough about him to deal with Sinclair.

Nonetheless, I expect Lambert to stick with the flat four in midfield to nullify their wide threat, with maybe Pilkington dropped for his lack of defensive abilities to cover Tierney. I actually don't see much reason to change the side from the one that's played pretty well over the last three games. I don't think Martin and Barnett is a long term solution at centre-half but it's working for the time being so worth sticking with. A win would cap a good start for us but I'm not sure we'll get it, Swansea are a threat so I'll call it at 1-1, with Hoolahan scoring for us.

6. Poole Jack

Poole Jack Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City
    This will be a tough game for us. Norwich like ourselves will be looking to maximise the home game points haul to stand a chance of staying up. Not sure we should be looking to much into last season with both sides new signings changing the squads a fair bit.

Our away form in the prem is poor but we have played Man City , Arsenal and Chelsea in our three matches so far and i think nobody our end was expecting to much from them.

The noticable change for us is we seem to be able to defend set peices a lot better this season. we've added pace in Routlege and Lita to compliment Dyer and Sinclair. Greek defender Moras might make his debut at centre half with Monk, Tate and Caulker all injured.

Danny Graham is now off the mark and Michel Vorm in goal has been outstanding.

Williams , Taylor , Morison and Crofts have managed to keep to clean sheets this week against Bulgaria and Switzerland

I would take a draw right now if offered!

0-0 :whistle

7. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I would be very disappointed if we don't get at least a point from the game and think if we can put in another good performance we will win the game.

2-0 Norwich.

8. mitchwales

mitchwales Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    An away point or better would be amazing.

Both sides started pretty well in the division given some of the teams we've both played and this could go very much in either direction.

9. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Thought we deserved the win.

We had a great start, then gave away a sloppy goal immediately which changed the game and Swansea came into it. Swansea were the better team for the majority of the half after that, but they didn't really create anything. They do pass the ball well though.

Second half we were by far the better team, looked very comfortable.

All the players worked hard, I thought Morison was excellent, Pilkington took his goals very well. I also thought Naughton was very good.

10. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Decent match that, felt we were the better team really, Swansea reacted well to going 2 behind but we were in control in the 2nd half. I thought it was yet again a very good team peformance, everyone worked really hard for the cause and once again we were a danger in an attacking sense.

I felt Morison had his best game by far in a city shirt, these are the sorts of games he can make a real impact, really bullied the Swans backline. You can't ask for more from the 1st 10 minutes, put them immediately on the back foot and kept it going for the 2nd goal. Swansea did come back very well and could have easily got it back to 2-2 before half time, thankfully they didn't. I thought in the 2nd half we were better organised to deal with them and kept Sinclair quiet.

Another good win, definately starting to find our feet, still way too early to start talking about staying up, but can't really complain with the points from the opening 8 matches.

Ratings...

Ruddy 6- didn't really have alot to do bar the goal which was hard to get too

Naughton 8- really impressed with him today, dealt with Sinclair well, not alot got past him

Martin 7 Looked a little bit flustered when Swansea got back into it but on the whole played well & got the goal

Barnett 7 Think he's growing into the Premiership more and more, can't think of too many dodgy moments.

Tierney 6 Wasn't as lively today but by no means bad.

Fox 6 Can't say I noticed him alot

Johnson 7 Another good showing, got about Swansea and obviously played a part in the goal. Good work ethic.

Bennett 7 He probably wasn't as effective in an attacking sense but boy did he work hard, tracked back a hell of alot.

Pilkington 8 One of our best players to date, lively on the ball, willingness to run and obv the two goals today. Promising early signs.

Hoolahan 6 In and out of the game, few good touches but wasn't as creative as he can be.

Morison 8 Motm for me, really good showing, had the beating of their defence, think he'll create more than score as proved today.

Anyone else feel Holt is becoming a bit of a laughing stock when he comes on now? People just expecting him to just fall over when the ball goes near him (which he did on one occasion) just a bit embarrassing at times.

11. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I agree and I made that point after the Sunderland game. It was quite cringing that night.

Overall I think we deserved the win today. What a crazy opening 15 minutes or so. Disappointed with the sloppy goal we conceded. Swansea did pick up after that and it could have gone either way, but we stuck to the task. Anfield next :)

12. Poole Jack

Poole Jack Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Well done Norwich deserved 3 points. Brendan Rogers needs to look and address how we set up away from home.

Although strangely, we lost our 4 first away games last season.

13. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Tbf with the away games this season the first 3 were against Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea, yesterday was probably the only one you can be disapointed about.

14. 'Uddersfield

'Uddersfield @uddersfield

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town. Duh.
    Pilkington is shit, isn't he?

15. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Haha can't say I was too excited about the signing when it happened but he's made a promising start definately. He's come into his own in the last 3 or 4 games and has started to add goals, really important for us to have a contributor from midfield who gets forward, last time we had Francis with 7.

He's really good on the ball, brings it down well and I like the fact he's always looking for a positive thing to do, he's picking up some good positions in the box too. He does at times go missing for parts of games but we can't ask for much more than what he's done so far, can we?

16. 'Uddersfield

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town. Duh.
    True - glad you boys are holding your own!

17. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I don't recall anyone saying that Pilkington was shit? He started a bit slowly but I think everyone gave him the benefit of the doubt given that he'd only just returned from a serious injury. He's been excellent in the last few games and looks the sort of direct winger who will cause defenders problems.

On the game, that was our best performance of the season yesterday and whereas last season the 2 goal margin was flattering to us, we were fully deserving of the 3-1 scoreline this time. We shot out of the blocks in both halves and then proceeded to defend well. I was particularly impressed with the way we played after the third goal, working hard and sitting back without ever getting too deep and inviting too much pressure. Disappointing to fail to get a clean sheet again but when you take the United and Chelsea games away, we've only actually conceded 1 in every game and I can live with that.

Morison looked like a Premier League striker today and probably carried his form over from the Wales games, superb performance and the header back to Pilkington was brilliant play from a front man. He's certainly justified his place ahead of Holt and while I wouldn't say Holt is an embarrassment, he's definitely going to struggle to break into the team on current form. Wes linked things up very well again and I thought Fox was excellent, great delivery for the 2nd goal and rarely gave possession away. Russell Martin too looked very impressive at centre-half. Quite how Lambert has managed to turn him and Barnett into a Premier League centre-half pairing is beyond me but they've looked really solid together.

What was most pleasing today was that we looked like a proper Premier League team and there was a lot on show to suggest that we'll finish above Swansea this season. Early days but this has been a really promising start - I think everyone knew that we had to get off to a good start with our kind fixture list but 11 points is more than I would have expected and we've been competitive in every game we've played. Looking at our starting line-up we should be nowhere near the Premier League on paper but we're in 9th after 8 games. Amazing achievement.

18. 'Uddersfield

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town. Duh.
    I was being very sarcastic mate!

19. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Fair enough, thought you were attributing that comment to what someone had said earlier in the season.

He's looked very confident on the wing, him and Bennett have so far made a mockery of the claim that they couldn't make the step from League One to Prem. Looks as though you're not suffering too much without him though.

20. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City

Not trying to be all doom and gloom like I usually am but I think if we'd been at the Liberty yesterday it could have easily been 3-1 to Swansea. I just think the fact we were at home was pretty dam important in continuing our good start off. I still think Swansea have an equal chance to us as staying up, I know they haven't started well on the road but judge them after 2 or 3 winnable away matches.

I think with Morison he's really going to need to continue this type of peformance against the likes of Blackburn, Wolves etc etc. They are the sort of games where he's likely to stand out IMO.

Oh and Hudders who were the last team to actually beat you lot? Surely couldn't have been our 3-1 win?! Alan Lee looking like a handful at that level, not the useless lump he was for us.