1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Chat.

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Celtic Symphony, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    St Johnstone showing what can happen if you have a GK who can make saves :laugh:

I won't go into Sunday expecting anything as we know this squad don't seem to have the desire to push themselves that bit more to get a win over the line against Rangers.

I expect we will probably have the vast majority of the play again and possibly chances but I have no faith in us taking them.

We will probably know how it's going to go after Eddy first pass back to McGregor.

2. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

A result today that just typifies the season and like everyone else I’m just desperate for the season to end. Even if we had won today it would have been a token gesture, but welcome nonetheless.

We have to assume that many of these players won’t be seen next season and the hope is that the recruitment is as good pre next season as it has been awful this season.

The only positive thing I take from today is that I genuinely believe that their defenders are there to be got at by the right players. As a collective unit their record this season is there to be admired, but if we get out recruitment right we can definitely trouble them at the back.

We have a big job on our hands though and we can only hope a lot of preparation has been going on behind the scenes.

3. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    You need to sign a proper goalkeeper for starters

4. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

We need plenty of signings and practically a whole new defence and forward line.

It’s going to be a tough ask winning the league next season, but not impossible if we get recruitment right.

Rangers have a good side, but not an outstanding one incapable of being caught.

5. Scott Chegg

Scott Chegg Registered User

Supports:
    Tennis Borussia Berlin
    Managed it this season.

6. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    There was a cancer in the squad this season that spread.

I've no doubts a guy like Eddie Howe will come in and eradicate that.

7. Scott Chegg

Scott Chegg Registered User

Supports:
    Tennis Borussia Berlin
    He’s renowned for it

8. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    The game kind of went as expected tbh, the 4-1 obviously flattered them but once again only one side looks like winning this fixture.

We easily should have scored 2 more ourselves but atm our players haven't got the conviction in them to see it through.

Can have no arguments with the McGregor sending off although his first yellow was harsh he must have made 5 lazy fouls in the first 20 minutes, I felt he was looking for it tbh.

Another game were the difference in quality of GK is probably the main difference between the sides, Bain is ****ing pathetic and should have dealt with the Morelos goal.

Scott Brown should have been taken off at half time, Kent was all over him and Brown just doesn't have the speed to win that battle, he was second to everything yesterday even when the odds were in his favour, I felt sorry for him watching it tbh.

Also to be 3-1down and still creating chances but don't bring any strikers on to take those chances is baffling.

Was watching it yesterday and me and my mate could see the Rangers goals coming, it was quite comical at times watching us defend, Kent would bring the ball through the middle and six players would follow him leaving gaps all over the place.

I don't think a single first team coach should survive this season.

9. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    It won't be far off a full clear out next season and that normally means trouble but after watching what we have this season and the attitude of some then if done correctly it can only improve us and get back to dominating them again. This season can be rectified very quickly.

10. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

There is no doubt that certain individuals downed tools, but that particular situation was handled shambolically by Neil.

Someone such as Eddie Howe would at the very least instill a professionalism that was sadly lacking this season.

11. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I've read about the professionalism not being there. . . In what way?

Lennon made mistakes definitely but players were the main reason that cost us this season for me.

12. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

Well for starters, coming out after a European defeat and throwing the players under the bus and taking no blame at all for any part in it. Subsequently in the weeks after defending the very same players when they actually deserved criticism. The damage was already done by that time.

Neil was way out of his depth in how to handle the situation, so that is the sort of professionalism I am referring to. As much as the players take the blame for much of went on, Neil tried desperately to absolve himself from any blame at all at every opportunity. He also came out with statements which highlighted his lack of professionalism such as admitting that they don’t normally watch videos of the opposition. That right there should have been a huge alarm bell.

Neil probably still believes that he was blameless but that is far from the reality.

13. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    He certainly wasn't blameless and got alot wrong but he wasn't doing anything he never done before when he brought plenty success.

I also thought he was wrong after that euro defeat but Gerrard done it every second week also yet doesn't get cast as unprofessional. These players delivered with Lennon doing the same things previously. A different combination of reasons for too many players at the same time was the route of the problem for me, whether it be the fact they wanted away, not settling in, legs gone, loss of form or simply been signed and just not good enough.

The club were ultimately proven wrong to keep players that wanted away. They will be hammered for that by the very same people who would have hammered them if they had sold them last summer.

14. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

If Neil continues in management, any jobs he has from now on will be at a far lower level. Why should that ever have been deemed good enough for us for a second time around?

He inherited a squad of players who were already completely dominating the game here and I was more than happy for him to temporarily step in for 6 months and guide us to more success which he did. That should have been that for him, but he was the cheap option and easy for Lawwell to control so he was allowed to continue.

Thankfully for us they collapsed in the second half of last season, but the signs were there that things could be changing and we have seen what has happened this season.

Rangers under Gerrard are now a very well coached team with a plan, whilst from the outset this season we have been the complete opposite with arguably individuals of at least the same standard of quality.

Even taking everything else into account, I don’t believe Neil had the sort of ability to counteract the challenge thrown at us this season.

15. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    The point was about professionalism though. I'm not disagreeing he made mistakes.

If blaming the players after one game is unprofessional how professional is a guy that has done it repeatedly?

We went on a fantastic run after new year last season. We beat a very good Lazio team, you can't just say he was lucky because they collapsed.

16. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

What do you think about his admission about not bothering to watch the opposition much in videos?

It was more his reference about players wanting away (after the European exit) as opposed to questioning the actual performance. That for me lacked professionalism and whether it was the case or not it was a deflection from his part in it all.

As I said before, he quickly realised the error of his ways (or was advised) as for weeks afterwards he was praising them when they didn’t deserve it. He was all over the place at that time.

There was a period last season when we played some tremendous football and the Lazio games were fantastic, but I do think we were fortunate that they collapsed after the new year as it was clear that they were getting closer to us.

When it was clear early on this season that we were up against a further improved opponent who weren’t going to implode, we should have recognised that we needed someone with far more nous and ability than Neil had to deal with it.

They have had an exceptional season and may well have won the title regardless, but I don’t think we gave ourselves any hope by sticking with a guy who should probably have never been the main man in the first place.

17. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Again though Ceaser i'm not disagreeing with you about his lack of expertise this season but the point on professionalism.

He wasn't doing anything different than he done previously and lack professionalism wasn't thrown at him then, it was simply down to results that got thrown at him. Gerrard threw his players under the bus every second week.

Even on the point about not bothering to watch the opposition much he actually laughed that off and said in a press conference that it was the complete opposite and he thought sometimes they were over coached with the amount of detail they had to take on board for every game.

#1637 Lisbon 67, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  18. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I dont know why he would laugh it off when it was him who said it in the first place, but then that would fall into place with a lot of inconsistent remarks he made which again comes down to professionalism and leading from the front.

19. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Here's his reply when questioned on it.

20. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

As I say, inconsistent with what he said at another point in time.