1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Chat.

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Celtic Symphony, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Vito Andolini

Vito Andolini Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Then no idea Jim, he only has a year left so I would assume the quicker the better for us

2. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

Now that it’s confirmed, its simply a case of backing Ange and giving him the time he needs to stamp his mark on the club.

He is coming in at a very difficult time, but will still be expected to be successful.

Here’s hoping he can work some magic.

Vito Andolini likes this.
  3. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    No manager guarantees success.

Excited to see how Postecoglou stamps his mark on the squad and the playing style.

He'll also have contacts in markets we haven't scouted. It was a rebuild for whoever came in so if you're going with a guy that demands a certain style or a different style then now is the time to do it as there will be a big turnover.

Get his own players in to compliment the ones we have that fit his style. One name being mentioned already is Red Star Belgrade centre back Milos Degenek.

Best of luck big man.

4. Vito Andolini

Supports:
    Celtic
    Just glad we actually have a manager appointed. Best of luck to Ange, really hope he is a success. Got a big job on, is he in the country yet? Regarding degenek, sounds like exactly what we need at CB, 6'2" good in the air I would hope. Hope he gets a couple at least in shortly for the qualifiers for the group stage.

Lisbon 67 likes this.
  5. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    The last minute hitch with Howe wasn't ideal but he's in with plenty of time for next season. Wim Jansen was appointed in July, currently there are 3 top flight English clubs without a manager next season. Everything was stoked up by the media and a section of our own support. They then listened to them about coaching badges and went off their nut about that, they'll never learn. Also the guy has probably been working behind the scenes for at least a week.

He'll have to isolate but the plan is he'll meet the players at Lennoxtown and then take them to Wales for our pre season training camp.

Dont know much about Degenek other than he's an Australian international centre back that plays for Red Star. Going by Postecoglous style the guy will probably be a footballing centre back but at 6"2 you'd expect him to be commanding.

6. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    The sooner the better and let us move forward.

7. Vito Andolini

Supports:
    Celtic
    Aye I just meant he will need time with the squad plus what he wants to add. I hate when we appoint a manager with like 4? Weeks ISH until a potential banana skin. And the rolling contract pish being leaked out suggests the board aren't entirely convinced he can be the man. Mind you if he comes in and stops the rangers like wim did then happy days for now.

Lisbon 67 likes this.
  8. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    He's certainly got work to do but over a monthe do do it. If we had appointed him 3 weeks ago he wouldn't have had any more time with the squad regardless.

Rodgers was initially on a one year rolling contract, as was Lennon. It's how we do it now.

9. Vito Andolini

Supports:
    Celtic
    Didn't realise that about Rodgers. Knew Lennon was rolling contract.

10. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Downside is if they do well, its easy for them to leave i suppose.

And of course can be more difficult to have a long term plan with the uncertainty.

11. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Long term contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on either though other than pay off figures.

If someone wants out a 4 year deal one year into it they will make moves to do exactly that.

12. Vito Andolini

Supports:
    Celtic
    I don't know how to multi quote but you're both right. Unfortunately in the Scottish League climate we can't really plan long term

The Doc likes this.
  13. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    That is fair enough, doesn't really alter what I said tbf.

14. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I don't think there's much difference either way for us with wanting to leave or long term planning.

15. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I would have thought (and I am just surmising here), that it is easier to get players to buy into the club and its long term goals if you see that both they and the manager are committed to each other and those goals. I am certainly not saying it is the be all and end all but it is certainly a factor.

16. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Maybe in that respect but in this case after reading about him they simply won't be there if they don't buy into his ways.

17. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Again that is fair enough but a 12 month rolling contract for any manager, means that if they don't hit the ground running and make the players buy into their ways, they are easily replaced, and players with longer contracts will know this. If the club shows commitment then it allows the manager to grow his ideas and replace players over a longer time frame. This of course being a generalisation.

18. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I really dont see the contract as an issue with him as he has a reputation of being ruthless in that respect. If you don't fit in or don't buy in you are out.

Also the situation with us right now means he'll be buying in alot of his own players. Players who will be made very aware of what they are signing up to. The ones that are there already and starters next season are few. I'd have no qualms about the likes of Callum McGregor, James Forrest or Stephen Welsh buying into him.

I've said before on here, if you're going down this route this is the very time to do it.

19. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    We shall see I suppose.

Lisbon 67 likes this.
  20. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Not saying he'll succeed as no one can guarantee that. Just that the current circumstances allow him to put his own mark on the squad alot sooner and alot easier than trying to do it with someone elses players