1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Mackail-Smith

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by pburrows92, Aug 30, 2012.

1. pburrows92

pburrows92 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City FC
    Apparently we have placed a bid for him
    reactions?

2. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Would be fairly underwhelming after being linked with some exciting names but then I wanted us to continue signing players in the Lambert mould and seeing as we were after CMS when he was here, this would definitely count as that.

His record with Peterborough was excellent and I think it'd be fair to discount what he did with Brighton because they played him up front on his own and with a style completely different to the way we play. Most importantly though, it gives us that strength in depth we need and ensures we don't need to rely on the likes of what we saw up front on Tuesday.

Still, until we finalise the deal there's no guarantee he'll ever play for us. Any striker is better than none at all so I hope he signs.

3. Steve1956

Steve1956 Respect

Supports:
    Burnley
    Don't think he's Premier league class, think he's a poor signing me self!

4. Kiz

Kiz Proud Stander!

Supports:
    Tottenham, Dartford
    He has been struggling to get goals for Brighton hasn't he?

He has about 11 goals in 40 league apps?? Would be better off going for Barnes if you want a Brighton lad.

5. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    All over our message boards, although nothing official been said.

6. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    If nothing else his workrate is phenominal (or it was at Posh, I've not seen huge amounts of Brighton games) which in itself will create chances for him and Norwich.
    Not sure he's up to this level but :shrug

7. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Seen Brighton a few times on account of living down there for a while, never thought Barnes was up to much.

Mackail-Smith on the other hand was good for years at Peterborough and combined a very good scoring record with an excellent work ethic. He might not have done well at Brighton so far but they tend to stick him up front on his own which I doubt helps.

Most people have said CMS wouldn't be good enough for the Premier League but then we've heard that plenty of times at Norwich about players who have gone on to do pretty well.

8. Super_Seagulls

Super_Seagulls Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton
    If the price is right and we a replacement is lined up I wouldn't be that bothered about him going. Great work rate, nice lad but he's not a natural finisher and needs 4 or 5 chances to get a goal. He barely gets that in the Championship let alone in the Prem.

Dion is right though that we haven't played in a way that really suits him but even so, when he has chances he's nowhere near clinical enough for the fee we payed for him.

Give us a big whack of cash and give us back Benno and you have a deal. Please, please, please let us have Elliot back.

9. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Apparently a bid has been put in - that is confirmed.

He has stuggled at Brighton not sure he would start above Jackson and Morison so not sure it is a good signing. He is likely to do better feeding off a player like Holt but still not sure he would add many goals in the PL.

10. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
  11. Super_Seagulls

Super_Seagulls Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton
    Well he's on the team bus up to Burnley. Would suggest he's staying. Stranger things have happened though.

12. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I've no idea then. As I said, we just need a striker, anyone half-decent will do.

13. Perseus

Perseus Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    Brighton are unlikely to stand his way if the transfer fee is enough to cover the amount paid. It would be difficult to work out how he would do in the Premiership because he misses the easy chances and scores the harder ones. He gets in lots of positions to miss chances by the width of the bar or post.

Brighton would need a replacement though in the January window. So I don't think it will go through unless you are really keen to get him.

14. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    He'll be linked with us in January and not come, as is usually the case.

15. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    If you paid what we've paid for him, I'd be happy to see him go.

Sums him up. :shrug

16. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    We've been linked with Danny Graham, Carlton Cole and Marauone Chamakh this January, doubt we will go for him now (Thank god)

Not a bad striker. But that's in the championship.

17. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I'd sooner have Mackail-Smith than Chamakh or Carlton f*cking Cole on their astronomical wages.

18. Perseus

Perseus Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    And Smith must Score

There is always quite a high risk that he would come good for a rival team. The margin of error is so small. He could even get better for the Albion. At the moment it appears to be a technique anomaly. This is easier to see with cricketers. He could improve his technique to the detriment of his natural high energy play.

I have changed my mind about getting someone else in instead. There is too much chance of CMS becoming a very good player. He can do the difficult things. Just has to do the simple things right.

#18 Perseus, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  19. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    He has looked better this season but I wonder if maybe you should have tried harder to keep Murray, who is doing well for your friends in London.

20. Perseus

Perseus Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    Macca (CMS) now playing his best football for the Albion. Bridcutt is an ever present. A month ago and Macca wasn't playing very well at all.

With Murray we would have beaten Forest 4-0 at least. Fours sitters missed. Not by Macca.

I would have thought that you would be better going for Charlie Austin of Burnley.

#20 Perseus, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012