1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Cricket

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Panja, Apr 19, 2014.

1. mattledud

mattledud Band

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Why was he allowed to play the rest of this Test Match then?

2. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Becoming a success is usually what tempts those weirdo's to start scouring through a person's social media. Maybe that's what Zak Crawley is concerned about......

3. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I have to agree with this, though I haven't seen the initial tweets he made. I get 18 is an adult but if he has genuinely changed and no longer holds these views (and reading through his back story he seems to have struggled as a young man to find his way), which can of course happen, then I fail to see what banning him now for stupid actions 8 years ago is achieving other than satisfying a potentially baying mob.

GDP, Tomohawk and Super_horns like this.
  4. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Posting as a Muslim, I find Robinson being suspended a bit over the top. I get Racism and all forms of Discrimination is wrong, I've been the victim of all sorts from a very young age.

This happened nearly 10 years. Yes, what he did was wrong but .... It's more making an example because Equality is in the headlines a lot more.

I'm anticipating a backlash for my opinion but I agree with @Tomohawk

GDP, Panja and Super_horns like this.
  5. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I don’t think you will alone given as you say the comments were a long time ago .

Tornado likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Broken leg stuff

Supports:
    Brighton
    Might be a simplistic view but why didn't England have a go when we had 15 overs left for 5 overs might have left ourselves 100 to win or so off the last 10? I think there was a half-chance to maybe chase it down due to our wickets in hand. Given we were at home it was disappointing that we made no attempt to chase the runs at all?

I've seen him play for Sussex numerous times and he is the real deal. This season so far especially in domestic cricket he's been borderline unplayable.

Panja likes this.
  7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I've literally just seen a few of them for the first time and without wanting to defend the indefensible, it really appears to be a young lad playing up to his mates. Some of the sexist comments seemed to include comments about never watching sport with a girl again - I wonder how many lads of all ages are tweeting similar stuff throughout the football season if they've had their missus sat with them during a big game? Are we going to report all of them to their employers as well?

The racist comments are pretty bad, and although clearly very childish comments they are inexcusable.

Would I call out 18 year old Ollie Robinson for the racist comments? Absolutely, I'd be front and centre to tell him what I think of such disgusting comments as should everyone else. Sometimes that realisation that what you've said isn't funny, it's just utterly offensive can be enough of a learning curve for people.

The question the ECB & those people saying this is the right approach should be asking is how does this approach improve and educate a 27 year old Ollie Robinson who has clearly evolved and grown up to make himself a career in a professional sport having come through what appears to be a fairly difficult childhood?

JoshBCFC, GDP and Panja like this.
  8. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    There were opportunities throughout to have a look and at least spend some of the innings trying. Let's not forget that NZ left us a chase of less than a boundary an over. We could literally have pushed singles/twos all innings and still won. NZ certainly didn't declare with them in a position where they couldn't lose, they gave us fair opportunity to win today.

And I get what people are saying about the strength of the batting lineup but with no test points on the line, which I assume makes this more akin to a friendly match, surely this would be a good time for Root to have a look at how some of these lads handle such a chase?

Panja likes this.
  9. Andrew

Andrew Broken leg stuff

Supports:
    Brighton
    I guess Root/the coaches didn't trust the batting lineup so thought let's just get the f*ck out of here with a draw and win the next test to secure the series. But we needed something like 135 off 18 overs with 7 wickets in hand? Why not spend 5 overs testing the waters and have a go? Might have fluked a few boundaries and got ourselves down to 75 off the last 10, which would've been very doable!

If we had Stokes, Butler, and Bairstow out there I like to think Root would've gone for it.

GDP, Panja and Super_horns like this.
  10. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I agree he shouldn't be banned or crucified but I'm not sure this is an entirely right way of phrasing it. Harshly punishing a public figure for comments they made as (legally) an adult is nowhere near as bad as racism is.

Suspending him is pointless and solves nothing though imo given the comments were made years ago. Get him to do some form of community service, in the way of talking to young cricketers/sportsmen. He's learnt his lesson from the publicity this has got and the situation can be used to have a positive impact.

As I think has been mentioned this doesn't do anything other than satisfy a potential mob that I don't even think really exist in any significant form. It doesn't seem like a genuine attempt to prevent racism, merely a misguided attempt to protect a reputation.

Sorry, think I've brought a bit of CA into here :laugh:

Tomohawk likes this.
  11. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    You are correct mate - clearly calling someone out for past racist remarks isn't as bad as the actual racism. I'll put that down to my frenetic tapping away when the news came out last night :laugh:

JoshBCFC likes this.
  12. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Anyone seen Michael Carberry's response?

He's not having it.

13. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Strong comments indeed.

I would say if this had been a footballer would the Government have come out in support so to speak?

14. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Really don't know.

The PM comment about piping up, he has a point to be fair.

Super_horns likes this.
  15. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    #8955 Super_horns, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  16. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Can you imagine a young person made a mistake, let's say they're 16 years old. Destined to make it to the top in the sport they love and they're seeing things like this?

They'll probably be thinking they might not be able to move forwards because someone will ruin them if they hit the big time.

RedDevilsShinja and Super_horns like this.
  17. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    It's all getting beyond a joke now. Who are these sad ****s that scroll through years and years of a players tweets trying to find something said in very poor taste that they clearly no longer believe?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

18. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I don't know you can look so far back?

Like you say 10 years is a long time unless someone remembers them well.

Tornado likes this.
  19. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    I did enjoy him stating with absolute certainty that Dowden has never faced any racism or discrimination and so should keep his mouth shut.
    Despite the fact he would actually have no idea if Dowden has faced racism or discrimination in his life.
    And also despite the fact that as secretary for culture, media...and SPORT...he has every right to get involved.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

20. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Are Robinson's tweets that bad in the grand scheme of things?

From what I've seen, they're mostly stupid jokes or puns. Not excusing it any way and they are clearly racist, but it's the sort of stuff we've probably all seen on our phones etc and dare I say maybe even chuckled at some. His mistake was his naivety in putting out publicly on his twitter.

From what I can see, there is nothing "hateful" in his tweets. Just a pissed up teenager (only have to look at the times of the tweets, early morning etc) trying to be funny but being bit of a dickhead.

I reckon if the majority of the country were held accountable for some of the things we said or did when we were 18 and thought we were clever, they'd all be umemployed!

Give him a fine, get him on some ant-racist community scheme for a bit and move on.

Fo Shizzle and Panja like this.