1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Think We'll Stay Up?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by NcfcDin, May 6, 2013.

1. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    If Sunderland beat Stoke tonight, and Wigan beat Swansea on Tuesday (Both of which could easily happen) We would be above the relegation spots by 1 point. With the only team below us, Newcastle, travelling to the leagues bottom club on Saturday.

With a trip to the Etihad on the final day, this Saturday's game against West Brom is huge, question is though, do you think we'll win it? And will we stay up?

2. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    We have had too many 'must win' and 'mustn't lose' games and, apart from the Reading game, haven't pulled it off. Alot of scenarios where the other games are concerned, but while I really, really want to win Saturday, I don't think we will and do I think we will go down? Yes, it's looking likely :(

3. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    No I don't think we will, have thought this way for a while. People harp on about all these winnable games we've had but remember thinking at the time where was the form to suggest we'd win any more than 1 of them? And we have won 1 of them so far, and even that wasn't particulary convincing. So it looks like we'll need to beat WBA, can't see it. They are a good side, yeah they have nothing to play for and lost last week but they went to Southampton not long ago and beat them by 3 goals. All the pressure is on us, yeah we might win it but I think a draw is the most likely outcome.

So that leave us on 39 points, we'll lose at Man City. So we'd finish with a goal difference of -23 at the very best (0-1 defeat at City). So Wigan would probably need just 4 points from Swansea & Villa h & Arsenal a, certain they'd get that. Newcastle would probably need to beat QPR or Arsenal, you'd would have thought they would. Then Sunderland would need to either beat Stoke or Southampton, again quite likely.

At the end of the day if we go down we'd deserve it. Hughton would need to go and tbh I wouldn't be that fussed especially if we'd have another season of this boring rubbish. At least you get some entertainment in the Championship and more games, plus I'd stand to win about £300 if we go down so yeah I'm not as fussed as I thought I'd be.

4. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Or...we'll win on Saturday and stay up.

I'm as nervous and as pissed off about the whole thing as anyone but I hate this defeatist attitude before a huge game that we're still capable of winning.

5. Topgunn

Topgunn Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    If Wigan win tonight then I think we're doomed even if we beat WBA on Saturday,we've been dreadful in 2013,how many games have we had with no shots on target,just not good enough.

6. Thomas WBA

Thomas WBA Boing! Boing!

Look at our form.

We have been piss poor. If we kept some half decent form dare I say it we could be above Everton. We just haven't been the same team we were early on in the season. Odemwingie and Injuries caused us problems since January we have been mediocre.

In recent weeks other than the Southampton and Liverpool game we haven't done a great deal. The only thing is I think the players would see the Wigan loss as a reason to go out and win the game. Otherwise you have every chance of beating us.
    You just have to wait on Wigan. Villa are playing some good stuff so don't think Wigan will take something from the game, you'll be in for a great last day.
    I remember when we did it and stopped up on the last day from starting bottom of the table if I remember correctly, football is a wonderful game.

You are not Wolves :laugh:

7. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    We are not Wolves, but we've been here a few times and when it's in our hands, we fall at the last post.

I have to keep some faith, so I'm going to hide behind the sofa and half watch tonight's game, then cheer on my team like I do every single week and just hope.

Sunil, I need to call in a favour ... :laugh:

8. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Well I did say we might win, think a draw probably is the most likely outcome given form. I'm negative most of the time so I don't think its a massive shock I'm a bit defeatist given the situation we have got ourselves in!

9. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    It could come down to goal difference.

We shipped 5 against liverpool twice and at fulham, 4 at chealsea and 3 in 3 minutes at arsenal. That's 22 goals there.

I can see a scenario where a hell of a lot of teams finish on 41 and we will be bottom of the pile because of those crushing ridiculous difeats.

Thankfully newcastle shipped 6 against Liverpool recently which gives them an equally bad goal difference - but then have scored more and we could well ship 5 at Man City.

If we beat West Brom I think we will stay up. If we don't I think we will go down.

But for that 10 game unbeaten run we would have been relegated by January.

When things were going wrong under Lambert he would change it. Hughton just won't. It's been going wrong since December.

I just don't understand when we have played 60 minutes without a shot on targat he can't take off Johnson or Howson and put a striker or a more creative player on.

If we lose we get nothing, but if we win we get 3 points. If we lost half and won half of those games we would have been safe weeks ago. It's a damn site better than losing them by 1 which is exactly what has happened in recent games.

#9 PUA, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  10. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Can someone tell Hughton this please?

11. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    What about now boys and girls?

12. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I think even my opinion has been swayed after today's result. Always said I felt we'd drop and Hughton was the wrong appointment (still think he isn't the man long term and would look to get rid if things are so dull early next season) but happily be proved wrong on both counts next weekend.

13. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I too would be happy to be proved wrong. Last nights game was nervy to watch to say the least. Can't imagine how I will feel on Saturday! Just really hope we can win and not just stay up (if we do) by relying on other teams. Lets actually deserve to survive OTBC

14. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I would imagine fairly relaxed seeing as we don't actually play then!

15. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Lol I can't get my head around the fact that we are playing Sunday!

Can't imagine how I will feel on Sunday :laugh:

16. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I think as long as we don't lose to West Brom on Sunday then we will stay up. But even if we lose I think we still might beat the drop as I can't see Wigan getting anything at the Emirates and with Villa on great form, it will be very difficult for them to get maximum points from that one as well.

Assuming Wigan don't work a miracle and defeat the Gunners, we will only need a point to guarantee safety. But I just hope Hughton doesn't go out to try and get a point, because then we will lose. He needs to properly go for the win and we will get it.

17. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I think a draw against West Brom maybe enough now. I still don't think we can afford to lose it because it means going into a nightmare fixture we are still not mathematically safe.

If we beat West Brom I can't see us going down. We might not be 100% mathematically safe even if we do win but literally about a dozen results would have to go a certain way for us to get relegated.

It might be a good time to play West Brom - their form is just as bad as ours. I don't buy into the "they've got nothing to play for" theory - they are professonal footballers and are paid very well to give everything in ever game. However it is hard for teams in their position to keep the intensity when they achieved their main ocjective some time ago.

A good performance (but not a great one) and I think we will win the game.

Win = 99.99% safe
    Draw = 80% safe
    Loss = 45% safe

18. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Can't agree with that. I know Swansea turned it on against Wigan but Villa's squad is bang average and they've basically grafted and grafted the last few weeks to get their results. They'll be safe by the time Wigan play them and with it being their first game in months that hasn't been of great importance, I imagine they'll take a day off.

I still think we'll be going down if we lose to WBA. Anything else and I reckon we'll be ok.

19. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen BMO Field Sec 112

Supports:
    Toronto FC, Stoke City
    [​IMG]

20. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    :laugh: I like that and hope you're right!