1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Think We'll Stay Up?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by NcfcDin, May 6, 2013.

1. ThePompeyMaster

ThePompeyMaster New Member

Supports:
    Portsmouth
  2. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Cheers bud. :laugh:

Hope Pompey do well next season. Always liked them and it's dreadful what's happened in recent years.

3. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Never in doubt...:whistle

Did it in style in the end, Hughton proves the FF doubters wrong!

4. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    And i'm glad he has!

Felt we'd go down at the start of the season, nothing changed my thinking after the poor start. Even I then thought we'd be safe after the 10 match unbeaten run. Since about mid march I'd been getting worried again, culminating in that shitty weekend when Villa beat us.

Can't really argue with Hughton this season regarding the objective. Yes its been dull to watch quite a bit of the time but who in their right mind would take entertaining goal fests ending in relegation over 38 goals & lots of 0-0s ending in survival?

I do think next season if he's spent alot of money (already on 8.5m) and were still playing shit football and struggling then he has to go. I think that is what will happen too.

5. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    :laugh:...and it's started again already.

6. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Thought I'd give this a bump to see what people's opinions are. (Although I think it's pretty obvious)

I know we still have about 12 games left. But you can pretty much exclude our final 4 games from that. So effectively we have about 8 games to get 4/5 wins?

I'm undecided tbh. I think if every team were to keep their current form between now and May then we'd be down. But it's never as simple as that.

7. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    We should've won last night. We would've been 10th/11th. We had our chances but, as usual, we didn't put them away. I feel we should've made a change in manager/coaching staff as we really do have problems scoring goals. I can't think anyone could do a worse job. I would like to have seen a positive reaction from the board, but they are either blind or clueless.

Right now, I'm thinking we may well go down :(

8. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City

Looks like i'm more or less correct.

9. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Well we are playing shit football (or at least getting shit results) but he's still here :laugh:

I really had high hopes when we spent the said £8.5m.

10. firjam

firjam Registered User

Supports:
    derby
    7th highest spending club in Europe in the end of season transfer window, and look where we are.

11. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    With the midfield you have (a good one that I rate) there are no excuses for your strikers not to be scoring acceptable amounts of goals.

12. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    We know! A lot say, our strikers don't get the service, but we missed 4 or 5 good chances on Tuesday night, so the service must've been there.

A lot of our fans think we will go down and a lot of outsiders think we will, too. The board, however, seem to be burying their heads in the sand ...

[​IMG]

13. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Yeah we have definitely had a good enough squad going into the start of the season, I think people got a bit carried away with RVW, I always felt it was a bit of risk given the leagues he's scored goals in. But you always take risks with big money transfers, it was still an exciting signing.

The big problem is just the management. Chris Hughton did well last season, he proved me wrong in keeping us up (as you can see above in this thread) but just never was the man to kick us on. He just isn't capable of getting the best out of the players or finding the right system for the forward players. We started to stagnate from January 2013 and it has simply continued to this point where we look in real danger of actually getting relegated. Its the lack of goals that is a major issue. I think at times the creativity has been a problem but as CF says in recent weeks our strikers or attacking midfielders have squandered big chances and given our position and the opposition we can't afford it anymore.

I think Gary Hooper was a good signing, not a massive fee and has scored some goals this season, he's struggled of late though and will need him to get some more soon. Johan Elmander was a terrible signing, he's been involved in most of our games and has 0 goals. Ricky as I said was an exciting one but under the right management he may have done better to date, but he's looked crap and I've watched pretty much all of his games. He desperately needs a goal fast. That leaves Becchio who rarely gets used and I don't think is the answer at this level anyway. We were bloody stupid not to get someone in on deadline day. I have lost all hope with Elmander so either Hooper needs to find his scoring boots fast or RVW needs to show why he's worth so much, if not then we'll drop.

#33 canary10, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  14. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Yeah I'm pretty confident you will. You were the better team against us for most of the game and you battered Cardiff. You just need a Change if luck which I think will happen. I think the bottom 3 are going.

Sacking Houghton now is still a risk. You could just as easily drop further down the table than climb it. Look at the current bottom 3, they were all outside the bottom 3 when they changed managers. It could be argued that sacking their manager has caused deeper problems they they had previously. Imo this is definately the case with the bottom 2, I also think Clarke would've kept the baggies up though Mel may well come good

15. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Interview with McNally - talking to Chris Goreham and Paddy Davitt (Archant)

McNally launched a bullish defence of Hughton’s record on Friday morning in a wide-ranging interview covering the manager’s own position, which has been a serial topic outside the club this season, the frustrations of the Norwich supporters and the club’s survival battle. McNally insisted Hughton is acutely aware of the price of failure for him and Norwich City over these coming months with the club currently one point above the bottom three.

“Chris is the first to accept the buck stops with him,” he said. “He has been told in no uncertain terms to get us out of the current position and get our club moving up the football table; and quickly. Right across the board from Delia and everybody else we are as disappointed as those supporters. As far as giving any certainty in terms of Chris and his position here all I would say is it is a results-business - whether that is Chris Hughton, myself as the chief executive or anyone else. We are paid to do our jobs. For as long as we achieve what is required of us we will stay in work. It would be wrong at any level to give any further guarantees. We would be delinquent almost to do that.

“All I would assure the Norwich City supporters is that we are watching very carefully. The whole board is aware of the strength of feeling from the Norwich City support. As guardians of the football club at this particular time in its history we have to do in a balanced way what we feel is right for the football club. What I would say about any change is you have to be 100% sure if you do that then things will be better. In any consideration when it comes to a big decision for the football club we have to factor in are we guaranteeing things will be better for making that change.”

McNally is adamant Hughton’s debut season proved he can lead the Canaries’ to safety despite their perilous position in the Premier League.

“We finished 11th last season and we had some luck good and some bad but you tend to finish in the position you deserve,” said McNally. “No-one has ever done that to the level he did with the smallest payroll in the division and with the scale of the debt repayments that we had to make last year. That was an astonishing achievement. His track record is there for all to see. Clearly this year results have not been good enough and they need to improve, but everyone can see the players and the management are together and there is a real spirit around the group. They are playing for each other. The odd suggestion that he has lost the dressing room is a complete myth.”

16. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    McNally sounds quite angry tbf. I also think that it's pretty clear unless the teams position doesn't improve then he will be given the chop. I think it's also certain that he will go at the end of the season if we continue this way.

17. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    Look at what Pulis has done at Palace. Make the defence as tight/solid/organsied as possible, 5 man midfield and 1 striker which allows the wingers to spend the whole game attacking. For me Norwich's main strengh/threat are the wingers, Pilkington and Redmond are two players who can/do cause problems, create chances and chip in with goals. The first thing Hughton could try would be to play them on their natural sides, Pilkington on the left and Redmond on the right, then I personally think he should give a few starts to Bechhio as the 1 upfront as it's clear RVW cant finish and Elmander just doesn't seem like he's botherd or even wants to be at Norwich.