1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

European League

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Tornado, Oct 20, 2020.

1. powerage

powerage Let There Be Rock!

Supports:
    Spurs
    I think in another thread you said you've been a Season Ticket holder for 37 years.

I was about to list a shitload of things you've been through in that time but you don't need someone like me reminding you of what you've seen an experienced in almost 40 years of following Southampton through English football.

The "Big 6" have collectively hung themselves, they might not receive any punishment for it but seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. By all means vent but you've had a year off, you'll be back in August post Euro's with your mates absolutely raring to go.

The protests alone should tell you the "Big 6" have absolutely shat the bed over this and now the fans want them out.

2. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    So we can summise that he "reached out" then...

3. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think every regular match-goer has had their "nearly" moment. I've "quit" countless times myself before making a u-turn so actions certainly speak louder than venting about it.

I think if quitting is ever actually going to be a reality though then now is probably as close to breaking point as most will get.

The proof will be in three months time and who has / hasn't renewed for next season but most haven't had that matchday habit for the last 12 months anyway - nor any of the inconvenience or cost that comes with it.

When you look at the state of the game there's certainly an argument whether it's worth returning to.

The upsides have always outweighed the cons in previous seasons but I think we're at a point with football where you can seriously question if it's worthwhile without significant changes in the game.

The ESL is a tipping point but it was fairly rotten beforehand anyway. I can understand anyone seriously considering calling it a day - moreso those fans of the "big 6".

FranniesTache likes this.
  4. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Spot on, I actually came a hairs breath to giving the season ticket up a couple of seasons or so back, I was sat in a pub in Brentford for pre season friendly with mates talking about the upcoming season and every single one of us was hoping we’d be relegated.

I think that day I realised how rotten the top flight was and the way it ruined football.

At the time I was thinking of giving up the season ticket and only doing cup games, this time I’m not even sure the cup games are worth it.

The biggest irony is if we were in the championship I wouldn’t think twice about renewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason likes this.
  5. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I can't believe how public it all is.

Something is going on. Why risk ridicule by going public now and potentially failing? Boosting Spotify's share price? It's gone down since his original tweet :shrug

6. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    It seems a very strange way of trying to do business. Only thing i can think of is that he's trying to pressure the sellers, i.e. all this talk and a few fan protests might unsettle enough to sell.

We've had countless takeover attempts over the years, it tends to be the ones which you don't hear much about before they happen that succeed.

7. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
  8. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    PorkchopExpress and RedDogChris like this.
  9. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    i don't see any quotes or sources regarding the glazer's stance on selling. seems more like the writer read something on twitter about the arbitrary 10bil figure, wrote a few sentences and a headline about it, and then filled the rest of the article with the same information/media spin that we've seen for the last few days regarding the protest

10. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    You trying to say the media are full of shit haha

FranniesTache and upper90 like this.
  11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd twice!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Hardly 'news' mate, and I doubt they 'said' anything directly. The Glazer scum don't even have a spokesperson, and you're right that I doubt they have any intention of selling up, but maybe a few more postponed games would change their minds. It looks like income from football is plateauing though, with TV deals stalling and commercial income levelling out. Maybe it would make commercial sense to sell now, given that their Brave New World lasted barely 48 hours.

12. Dirk

Dirk Moin Volkspark!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Yankees out ! :D

13. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Mancs not Yanks!

FranniesTache likes this.
  14. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    From the outside it seems like the only way you'll be able to force them out is to hurt them financially. For you that probably means more of the same as Sunday.

For most other clubs the way to get owners to sell has always been to not buy tickets or at least to not buy any food/drink/merchandise, but you'd just have other fans take your place so they wouldn't blink at that.

15. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    It's a sad situation. Nowadays there are loads of families, women and kids at the game unlike back in the 70's and 80's when it was viewed as too dangerous. Protests like Sunday could have the effect of again making going to football unattractive for the relatively new breed of supporter, and despite my own 40 years of experience I wouldn't want to go back to the moody 80's.

Sunday made a lot of the right headlines, but even as early as yesterday the protests were being re-written with press reports leading on the 'attacks on police' and the number of injured police officers rising from 2 to 6, with the policeman who sustained a cut to his cheek "almost losing an eye".

Foxwell likes this.
  16. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    And no mention of the twats on a power trip laying into the lads who were protesting :angryfire

Leivapool and FranniesTache like this.
  17. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Yeah, I know. Everyone has pretty much said the same thing regarding the secrecy aspect.

The publicity certainly emboldens the fans attempts at protest. Knowing there is an option, albeit an unlikely one, out there with three of our biggest legends attached (two of them have statues outside the stadium :laugh:) will inspire the fans to keep protesting.

That said, even if fans starting going round championing Ek at the next set of protests (which I think will start to happen), I don't think it makes much of a difference. Money has and always will talk. Kronke spent just over a £1bn to acquire Arsenal.

Would £1.8bn be enough? Who the **** knows! :laugh:

Edit: Ek also met with the AST over the weekend.

Arsenal Supporters Trust | Sharing in the Future of Arsenal Football Club

#3077 A Gooner, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  18. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Imagine there is that Manchester City FFP thread knocking about somewhere, so feel free to drop this in there. Though feels relevant to this current situation.

LONDON — Manchester City, the English soccer team that is on the cusp of winning the Premier League for the third time in four seasons, is involved in a secret legal battle with the league over whether it complied with financial rules as it surged to become one of the sport’s dominant forces.

The Premier League has been tight lipped since confirming in 2019 that it was looking into City’s finances a few months after German news weekly Der Spiegel, citing internal club information, said the club had disguised direct investment by its owner, Sheikh Mansour, as sponsorship income. City has always insisted it has not broken any regulations and denounced the stolen documents as “out-of-context materials” that were published as part of an “organized and clear attempt to damage the club’s reputation.”

City has spent millions of dollars defending itself since the allegations first emerged. Its lawyers are fighting against the league’s arbitration process, arguing that the club will not get a fair hearing, according to documents. City and the league did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

City is challenging the Premier League in Britain’s civil courts, where hearings have been held behind closed doors, and where publication of material related to the case has been kept confidential despite intense public interest in the case. It is not known what action the Premier League would take if it found City to have breached its rules. Penalties in its rule book include points deductions and fines.

won an appeal against a two-year ban from the Champions League after being found to have breached separate cost control rules by European soccer governing body UEFA. City won its case at the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration after convincing judges that a time limit had elapsed on the evidence against it. The Premier League’s rules do not have similar deadlines.

City requires just one more victory to be sure of the English championship. It is also on a charge toward securing its first Champions League crown. It holds a 2-1 advantage over Paris Saint-Germain, another Gulf-controlled club, before Tuesday night’s decisive second semifinal game at its own stadium.

The case is taking place against the backdrop of major scrutiny of owners in English soccer. A protest by fans of City’s crosstown rival Manchester United led to its game against Liverpool being postponed on Sunday after the two clubs joined City and three other English teams in signing up to a planned breakaway European competition. The plans were abandoned within 48 hours after a torrent of criticism and the threat of government action.

Still, City won plaudits after becoming the first of the rebel English clubs to announce it had backed away from the project.

City’s battle against the Premier League bears the hallmarks of its approach in the UEFA case. Before finding salvation through a technicality in the rules that set a five year time limit on the infractions eligible for punishment, the club tried to have the case thrown out at the CAS before UEFA had even ruled.

City’s stance in the Premier League case is a second major recent assault on the league’s governance structures. The owner of Newcastle United started legal action last fall against the league after it failed to clear a sale to Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

19. Dirk

Dirk Moin Volkspark!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    WTF! Did they really "win plaudits" for it?
    I could understand it when they "won plaudits" if they denied to take place in this "Super league" like Bayern Munich or Dortmund did, but not for backing away after they've seen the reaction of the fans. Had it not been such an outcry they would still be in it.

20. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I think UEFA officials praised them quite openly when they dropped out.