1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Everton v Norwich

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Fairy, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Norwich travel to Goodison Park this weekend. Everton were defeated at the Emirates last week, whereas we enjoyed a 4-2 win over Newcastle. This, however, isn't going to be easy. I would like to see an unchanged team from last week but Lambert does, generally, stick one up front when away from home. I think we could get a draw here and I would be more than happy with that. Let's go 2-2.

I predicted a 1-1 draw last week and look how wrong I was :laugh: I need to believe a bit more :)

2. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    This could be an interesting one. Everton have a good team but have struggled for goals and we have stuggled to keep them out!

I think their key players - such as Fellaini and Cahill typically play in the center of the pitch so I think the diamond maybe the best option. However players like Coleman get forward and add width but I would expect our fullbacks to be able to handle it.

I fancy us to score, but not entirely convinced we can keep a clean sheet.

1-1

3. shiva

shiva Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Norwich have scored in 13 of the 15 games this season... Will Everton be able to keep clean sheet?

4. Shogun

Shogun Registered User

Supports:
    everton
    we'll play 4-2-3-1

--------------------howard-----------------------
    hibbert-----jagielka---------heitinga-----baines----
    -------------Fellaini---------Rodwell---------------
    --coleman------------cahill-------------drenthe---
    ----------------------saha------------------------

Subs: Mucha,Distin,Neville,Osman,Gueye,Vellios,McAleny

drenthe should be back fit but if not bilyaletdinov will play there

not sure on rodwells fitness but if unfit neville or osman will fill in.

If drenthes fit i'll go 3 1 win.
    if not then 1-1 or 0 1 defeat.

5. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Difficult one to call this, Everton have made a solid enough start but are seriously lacking goals- you'd think a game at home to a side that concedes every match is a perfect tonic, for the likes of Cahill & Saha to rediscover their goalscoring form. It however could be a good chance to add to our 1 away win this season and maybe just maybe get that first clean sheet.

I think I would take 0-0 if given actually, give the defence some confidence. I can't see it being a particulary good game with probably 1 goal being enough. Its hard to say what team will play, Holt & Hoolahan were good last week but could easily be dropped in favour of going 1 upfront. I fancy Lambert to stick with two upfront in this one and go for the points, much like we did (and failed) at Villa Park.

I fancy us to do alright but I'm backing Everton in a narrow dull affair. 1-0, Cahill's 1st goal of the season.

6. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I think we have to be fairly content with that. Its obviously frustrating to not see those last 10/15 mins out but Everton were always likely to get a goal, such was the amount of attempts they had!

I thought they were all over us at the start and the goal was against the run of play, super goal mind you. We actually had a good spell afterwards and had a few chances to get the 2nd. Overall it was actually probably one of our best defensive displays- Martin especially had a great game, him and Tierney both made a couple of excellent blocks. It just seems near impossible for us to get that clean sheet, the goal was difficult to avoid really, good bit of movement from Osman to knock it in. It just the way we set up for games really, needs to be addressed because Swansea have done it amazingly and aren't exactly doing much worse than we are!

I think you have to say Everton deserved the points so in that respect we have to be happy with the point, its just frustrating we couldn't just see it out, reckon we could do with winning one of Wolves, WBA or QPR away now. Its important to add a few more away wins with some much tougher home games looming.

7. Shogun

Shogun Registered User

Supports:
    everton
    i was out til the last half an hour , we were all over you then, drenthe coming on was the difference. guy is a different class.

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Registered User

Supports:
    Spurs, Norwich FC
    Before the game, a point sounded excellent. Think Everton started much stronger and probably deserved too go in front, Holt's goal completly against the run off play but he did a great job of getting that into the net. After the goal we got into our stride a bit and had them on the back foot for a period and once or twice getting into some good positions too go 2 up.

Was a bit frustrating the Everton goal but you could feel it coming, i was actually getting a bit worried in the last 5 minutes or so of conceding another but we managed to hold on for a good point. Thought Martin was excellent at the back today as was Tierney, Ruddy i think had a shakey start but got better as the game went on and made some vital saves. Holt was a bit lucky the ref didn't see that backslap onto Felani otherwise would have likely been a red. Morison, didn't really do too much today, got the assist but i thought he kept fading in and out of the game.

At the moment i can't see where a clean sheet is going too come from, Wolves away next game. Think we have a chance too get the points there and if Ayala is fit mayby bring him back into the side. Mayby thats an area we need too look at improving in the transfer window. Almost halfway through the season now and sitting in mid table, we ave shown we can score and we can compete but the back, despite some great defencive performances this season is where we need too improve after the New Year.

9. Shogun

Shogun Registered User

Supports:
    everton
    how many clean sheets have norwich had? can't be worse than us(1)?

10. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Yes we are one worse than you. We have kept no clean sheets this season. Its a bit of worry.

Hmmm I predicted 1-1 and said I would be pleased with a point but, after going ahead with a fantastic goal from Holt, I guess I hoped for more. I only listened to it on the radio, but I could feel the pressure that Everton were putting on us so it was inevitable they were going to score. Glad we held on. though, and didn't concede a second. Back up to 9th :thumb

11. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

Tamas given a 3 match ban after elbowing Vaughn. Will Holt get the same?

12. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I got the score right! Fantastic goal from Holt, reminicent of the one Aguero scored against us. He had a much easier chance later on with a header that just went over - I think that could have killed the game.

I was little dissapointed to conceed so late, I was hoping we might just hold on. Ruddy played very well and made some top saves. However, Everton were good value for a point. Overall I am pretty pleased with a point away from home - Everton struggle to score but are still a decent side.

And yes, still no clean sheets. However, we are the 6th top scorers in the league - scoring a lot of goals is and conceeding a few is probably less of a problem than keeping clean sheets and not scoring. If you score a lot of goals you will generally get more wins, draws get you nowhere.

Paul Merson on Sky was saying he thought Norwich wouldn't stay up because they will stuggle to score goals - shows what he knows!

13. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    We'll have to ask Fellaini after his lips been stitched back up. Oh wait...

Excellent away point. Didn't actually see the game but I can't believe that many of the teams down the bottom will better that result by getting a win at Goodison. Looked like we were hanging on a bit and we probably wouldn't have deserved to hold on to the win but hey ho. Holt's goal was fantastic and he's well and truly proved the doubters wrong, 7 goals is a fantastic return at this stage.

Good result after good result. I'd take a point at Wolves tbh but the way we're going at the minute we've got it in us to take all 3.

14. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

Put your rose tinted glasses down, both swung elbows in faces, both were guilty of serious foul play. If you can't see that then your bias is actually disgusting to be quite honest.

15. Drew Peacock

Drew Peacock Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    The difference is that the ref saw the incident, decided it was six of one and half dozen of the other, told both players to calm down and get on with the game. Good refereeing. (As Lawrenson said on MOTD).
    The Tamas incident was not seen by the ref (costing us at least a point) which meant he could be rightly punished retrospectively.
    This isn't bias, just how I saw the incident.

16. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    ...and the fact that one was an act of petulance, lashing out after a bit of handbags; while the other was a malicious swing intended to injure its recipient.

Holt was silly to do it and there'd really be no complaints if he were retrospectively banned (although Drew's already explained why that probably won't happen) but just because they were essentially the same offence in footballing terms doesn't mean one wasn't worse than the other.

You get the same punishment in football for palming someone in the face as knocking them out with a right hook nowadays; Holt's rush of blood may have been worthy of a red but it wasn't done in anywhere near the same vindictive manner as Tamas' elbow was.

17. Shogun

Shogun Registered User

Supports:
    everton
    holt should have been red carded. fellaini should been yellow carded but a red wouldn't have been too far out the equation.

also drew, lawrenson was a total prick on motd.

18. Drew Peacock

Drew Peacock Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Personally, I'm all for referees striving to keep all players on the pitch.
    I thought it was good refereeing.