1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

French league..

Discussion in 'General Worldwide Football Discussion' started by Super_horns, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Lille showed bottle

2. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    No complaints from me, Lille deserved this hands down. You can't win the league if you win 1 out of 6 games against the other members of the top 4. We finish the season with 82 points, our lowest points tally since finishing 2nd to Montpellier in 11/12 (the first season of the Qatari era). We usually finish with 90 points which would have been enough to see us clinch the title. Lille winning with 83 points probably wouldn't have been enough in another season. However, no complaints from me. It's nice to see that the title is going to another club every now and then, shows that there is competition. I love the Bundesliga but Bayern are have won their 9th straight title which is saying a lot about the lack of quality in other sides (I don't see that changing for 21/22 so expect a decima next May).
    More interestingly, Lyon fell apart at home to Nice losing at home 2-3 and won't be playing CL football next season. Monaco, despite only drawing at Lens 0-0, get 3rd. Don't really about Europa/Conference spots. At the bottom, Nantes only had to draw at home to Montpellier but couldn't so they'll be in the play-off against Toulouse to see who goes down/up between the two of them. Really hoping for a Toulouse win here. They've played some good stuff in Ligue 2 while Nantes have been awful to watch. Worse than Bordeaux.

3. Casanova85

Casanova85 Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Brazil NT, France NT, Los Angeles Lakers
    Current Ligue1 is a lot stronger than the Bundesliga. I don't get why the Germans send 4 clubs to the UCL; other than Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund the rest are terrible. Lyon is definitely better/stronger/more popular than Wolfsburg. Another UEFA mistake.
    The Bundesliga is a crumbling competition; the casualties of this season have been Werder Bremen and Schalke 04, no less!. It's gonna be embarrassing when Bayern win their 15th consecutive liga. Especially if they keep buying the best players and even the managers from their direct competitors.

4. Dirk

Dirk Bundesliga Zwei, wir sind dabei!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Congrats to Lille for winning the Ligue 1. Good to see other clubs winning the league in the other countries than the usual ones. Happened this year in a lot of leagues in Europe except the Bundesliga. Hopefully we'll be saved sometimes, too, from this Behemoth in Bavaria ;).

Because it's all about the UEFA 5 years ranking and you can see that the Bundesliga has in every year (except the dismal 2018 ) a better coefficient than Ligue 1. This year even nearly twice as much points. So the Bundesliga is still #4 and no sign that Ligue1 can close the gap in the future and get #4 spot (and also 4 CL spots then)

UEFA 5-year rankings

btw: This year's UEFA Coefficient of Ligue 1 is even way worse than the Bundesliga's in 2018 (7.916 to 9.857), even Scotland had a better coefficient this year ;)

maybe Köln, too. Let's see what the Playoffs against #3 of Bundesliga 2, Holstein Kiel, will show.

Lack of quality in other sides, that's right. Especially Bayer Leverkusen....maybe they should buy an "N" and extend their name to Bayern :D
    Leipzig failed when it counts, as usual. Dortmund with a dismal first half and came only in flow late in the season to get at least a CL spot

but in 22/23 when HSV is back (after a successful 4th try to get away from Buli2) then we'll see them dethrone the eternal champions :laugh:

#84 Dirk, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Philip The Frog likes this.
  5. Casanova85

Casanova85 Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Brazil NT, France NT, Los Angeles Lakers
    Then I can only say this: corruption.

Dirk likes this.
  6. Philip The Frog

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    It most assuredly is not. I don't know why you wrote that (PSG beating Bayern in a fluke quarter?) but Wolfsburg, Leipzig and BvB would tear a new one to the current Lille side (they're gonna sell A LOT of players this summer), Monaco and Lyon. Our problem is we don't deliver in Europe whereas the Germans usually do (well that's Bayern & BvB, the rest are pretty shit although they do go far in the EL sometimes).
    Lille did get knocked out by Ajax (who are decent but not the force they were with de Jong et al) and we all saw the travesty Marseille offered in the CL group stages.
    Believe me, the tide ain't turning. PSG will deliver solid results in the CL but that's it.

I stand by my comment that Bayer were the 2nd best team in the country before hosting Bayern back in 2020. However, something broke. Losing the Bender brothers is very bad news for the club (especially Sven, Lars has always seemed like the Philip Neville of Germany staying in his brother's shadow, nice of Bürki let him score that pen though).
    Sven was a dressing room guy à la Schweinsteiger who could change things by his presence, with him gone, we don't have anyone and the rest of the players are of decent quality and all but we need fighters. Not sure where the club is going but I reckon next season will be tough.

Dirk likes this.
  7. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  8. Philip The Frog

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Nantes were, with Bordeaux, one of the worst sides to watch in the past season so I haven't seen much of him. On the rare occurances I witnessed him, he seemed like one of the rare bright spots in a god awful poor squad. Decent holding midfielder having played mostly in a 442 and he scored all his league penalties (sounds like a keeper).

Can he do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke Brighton? I'd say so. Don't count on him to create anything though.

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Thanks for that.

We'll see.

Seems to go either way with us.

Very good and gets sold on for a profit or we never see them play!

10. Cassio

Cassio Registered User

Supports:
    Inter
    Donnarumma close to Psg according to Sky Italy.

11. Philip The Frog

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Done deal for me. We're the only ones willing to pay the 12M€ per year Raiola is demanding. Awesome signing were it not for Navas having the best season any PSG keeper had period. People are not going to like the fact that Navas will have to fight for his place next season.

And Wijnaldum is a done deal it seems. Good.