1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Championship chat

Discussion in 'Championship' started by SpongeParr, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Reading fans might point to their 106 season in 05/06.

Wolves a few years back .

Maybe the best team not to get promoted though ?

2. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Just shows how overrated Lampard is that they were nowhere near the automatic places that year

3. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Reading's 106 point season and the Sunderland team in the late 90s with Kevin Phillips are the teams that stand out in my memory. The Fulham team last season with Mitrovic was pretty good too.

I think Reading win it though. That team was awesome and I think they finished 8th in their first season in the Premier League too which is excellent for a newly promoted team.

Adz, Garrincha and Super_horns like this.
  4. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    No way near the best Championship side of all time. The likes of Tomori and Mount have developed load since. Their other star was Harry Wilson and he's 'mid' to quote football twitter.

18-19 was an amazing season though.

5. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    Three options here

Reading 05/06
    Leicester 13/14
    Wolves 17/18

Reading’s point total will likely never be beaten so would have to be them imo, others run it close based on having ‘better’ squads imo. That Leicester team was a foundation for their league winning side a few years later and the Wolves team had an unreal amount of talent

6. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Reading for me.
    Only 2 defeats. 90+ goals and only 32 conceded. Fantastic team.

7. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nowhere near the best. Comfortably should have got play offs, and should have been competing for automatics more than they did but they aren't the best team from that season

Reading 05/06 hard to argue with, but Newcastle 09/10, Leicester 13/14 and Wolves 17/18 all very strong contenders.

8. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Wolves 17-18 is probably the best side at this level in my time watching. Jota, Bonatini (for the first-half of the season), Cavaleiro, Costa, Doherty, Neves, Boly, even Coady... just all unbelievable players at this level.

The two other sides that spring to mind are Bielsa's Leeds and Fulham last season. Bielsa's Leeds just played us off the park whenever we went up against them, when they were at their best they were practically unstoppable and probably one of the best teams I've seen at the Gate. Fulham last year, though they weren't the most consistent, took the absolute piss at other times. Ate us alive at their ground, scored 5 by half time.

Some of Derby's players have of course come on in the last couple seasons to do great things but aside from the obvious 3 or 4 players I'm not sure any of them were top-quality Championship players and they certainly weren't led by a managerial genius.

Super_horns likes this.
  9. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Probably slightly biased and going back a long way but the strike partnership of Van Hooijdonk and Kevin Campbell was ridiculous for this level back in 97/98. A strikeforce so good that we would have finished mid-table back in the prem the season after and probably changed the course of our history for the better after if the board hadn't sold Campbell in the summer of 98.

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  10. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Man City with Goater and Huckerby would be in with a shout.

I think on raw talent though it's the Wolves team.

11. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    Yeah, that Man City team was really good. Over 100 goals with Berkovic supplying them two. I remember them absolutely murdering us at The Lane that season

12. Madejski

Madejski Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Obviously I will say Reading.. It's difficult to explain the feeling of going into every game knowing we would win by 2. If I ever see a better Reading team in my lifetime I will be shocked. Was a team built cheap too, mostly freebies or nominal fees (£76k for Kevin Doyle & Shane Long)

I think the real show of the strength of the team was how the same team at this level adjusted to the Premier League. The same eleven (aside from Seol Ki-Hyeon coming in to replace the injured Bobby Convey) did great in the Prem too. In some ways the 8th we finished was disappointing - had we won our last 2 games that season (at already relegated Watford at home, and Blackburn where we had a questionable winner ruled out) we would have finished 5th, best of the rest behind the 'big 4'.

Wolves 17/18 are the closest I have seen since. I undeservedly mark them down slightly as their squad cost a pretty penny.. But there will never be a greater quality Championship signing than Ruben Neves.

Garrincha and Super_horns like this.
  13. Deacon27

Deacon27 Registered User

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Super_horns and SamB_SCFC like this.
  14. Return of J

Return of J Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol C
    Reading probably the best side to play at this level, closely followed by Bielsa's Leeds imo.

15. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    Surely the Newcastle team that got 102pts deserves a mention? Nolan, Guthrie, and Smith in midfield, Jose Enrique, Collocinni & Guitierrez, Carroll before his £35m move...

16. Tigerferry

Tigerferry A New Era Begins

Supports:
    Hull City
    I always thought that your Coppell side bottled a chance to establish yourselves as a top flight club for a while. It seems you trusted the same group too much and it got stale. You lost important players and didn't build on what you had. It was a good squad despite that.

We ended up having four of your players, with three playing Premier League football with us. Rosenior was reliable despite losing his starting role to Elmohamady, and Hunt was a skilled work horse that is great to have at our level.

Donko and Harper were shite mind you.

17. Jockney

Jockney Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    Portsmouth 02/03 for me. Todorov, Yakubu, Arjan de Zeuw and a still magical Paul Merson. Fantastic side.

Deacon27 and McKenna's Wand like this.
  18. Magic McLean

Magic McLean Registered User

Supports:
    Boro
    Beat Hibs at Easter Road in a mid season friendly yesterday, took something like 1200-1500 up.

Parmos likes this.
  19. Adz

Adz Pizza Champions 2021.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Didn’t even realise we have Millwall at home this Saturday, the only Championship game to be played. Sadly I won’t be there as made prior arrangements.

20. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    How has that ended up happening? :laugh:

Garrincha likes this.