1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Darts Thread

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Andrew, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Eaman

Eaman Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona
    Some great close games last night. Were you there? What were the chants about? Can't really hear them on the TV. Don't mind the booing. Fans have their favourite players and price brings it on himself sometimes

2. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Barney rolling back the years in this tournament.

Through to the semi finals .

#1882 Super_horns, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  3. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    Wow - fair play to Barney

Super_horns likes this.
  4. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Congrats to Michael Smith, the big man did it at last! I think this is just the first of many now that monkey is off his back. Such a talent. And seems such a decent lad with no edge to him.

Super_horns likes this.
  5. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    For some reason I’ve always had an irrational dislike of Smith and I’ve never been able to articulate why

But fair play. He’s absolutely phenomenal and worthy of a major more than anyone else out there

Just a shame I paid £40 for a ticket for the final to see 21 legs :laugh:

Arkwright likes this.
  6. Si Robin

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    Is it possibly his entitled attitude, or that when he got behind against a decent player he'd just give in and stand shaking his head at the back of the stage like a petulant child.

As a talent, he's fantastic, but you can't hide the fact that he had bottled big opportunities to win TV titles - whilst admitting that at some points he came up against someone playing out of their skin (Peter Wright in the Worlds for example).

However, despite that, he was very quick to complain that he wasn't included in the Premier League a couple of years back, claiming he was better than at least half of the roster - this was a roster that included only TV title winners. Regardless of talent, you can't be so denigrating towards players who have achieved more than you at that time.

To be fair to him, his defeat in the UK Open seemed to breed some humility into him, and he was very complimentary of Ross Smith after the European Championship final. Now he's got the monkey off his back, he could do a Peter Wright and go on to win more. I, personally, make him favourite for the Worlds this year. Two finals in recent years shows he knows how to get there, and he's going to be under a lot less pressure if he gets to the final this year.

7. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Is it an entitled attitude or a desire to win a tv major? He must have been fed up with the constant hoo ha that he hadn't won one and lost 9 finals.....being labelled a bottler, a bottler wouldn't even get to those finals. All I see in Smith is a genuinely nice family man with amazing ability, I see no edge in him whatsoever. That's only my opinion though. His reaction at the end of the grand slam doesn't look like entitlement to me, more elation, emotion and relief.

8. Si Robin

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    I never claimed he felt he was entitled to a TV win, I said his entitled attitude was expecting to be in the Premier League over players who had achieved more than him. I never questioned his talent, in fact I said the complete opposite. But he would give interviews basically saying that players, who had won more than him, weren't as good.

As I said, this seems to have changed after the UK Open when he lost to Danny Noppert in the final - a final where Noppert averaged 84.82, so yes I think we can say Smith bottled it - in fact he would arguably say as much. He seemed to learn a bit of humility after that and I've been wishing him well since. I'm glad he's finally got over the line, like I was with Wright in the 2017 UK Open. I also think he'll go on to win a lot more now he's got the monkey off his back.

9. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Is there any darts player with a more boring nickname, a more boring walk on and a more boring persona? Probably a nice guy, but ffs he is deadly dull.:zzz

10. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    Than who? :laugh:

Trying desperately to guess who you’re talking about here haha

Arkwright likes this.
  11. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC & Worthing FC
    Same

I’m really hoping there’s a player called Nathan Smith, who has the nickname “Nath” and walks on to “I don’t want to set the world on fire” by The Ink Spots or something :laugh:

Arkwright likes this.
  12. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Sorry, i missed out the name Rob Cross:laugh:

13. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Van Gerwen's to lose judging by the start

14. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Tbh to Cross he's making a decent fist of it after it looking like initially it could be a landslide

15. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Fair play to Van Gerwen, class performance, well deserved.