1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Hooper

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forest 4 life, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Forest 4 life

Forest 4 life Registered User

Alright lads, just a quick question, when do you reckon this lad will be back and do you think he will play alongside Van Wolfswinkel or will it be one or the other. This is purely for fantasy footballs sake.

On another note its really good to see you lot do well and sign well. You've put together a good squad and wish you all the best for the upcoming season, hopefully we will meet you there next year :partyanimal

2. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Hughton likes to play 1 upfront and I'd imagine that will be Van Wolfswinkel so Hooper is likely to be on the bench. Having said that we don't know exactly what he's thinking, remember he paid £5m for Hooper so he might be more bold and go with both of them. He's certainly not a bad 3 choice striker in a fantasy team, he's in mine.

3. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Hooper looks like he's starting to look the part now.

How has he done since signing?

4. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Really looking good now. After his injury you could see he wasn't quite up to speed yet, but he was gradually getting better. Since he scored 2 goals against Watford in the cup he's looked really impressive. 4 goals in 6 games now for him, and he's been arguably our best player in the last few weeks. He looks like he could easily get 15 goals or so if he continues like this.

5. mancityfan8496

mancityfan8496 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Also, what has happened to Wolfswinkel?

6. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    He's injured at the moment. Has been for about 6 weeks. Was fit this week but was not chanced against Swansea He'll be back for this Saturday. He's literally had no service all season. But you can see the quality he has, it's just getting him fit now. Really looking forward to the RvW - Hooper partnership.

7. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Not sure if he's had 'literally no service all season' as that would imply he's not been passed to in a dangerous position at all and he did score against Everton. I'm not sure about him really, he's definitely got some work to do now, seems a bit of a niggling old injury which is frustrating. He hasn't really played regularly since September (8 games, 1 goal) having featured very briefly against Cardiff at the end of October and then for part of the Chelsea game. I thought he got injured in that game so possibly aggravated it later in the month Vs Cardiff. Hughton's been a bit vague all the time about it, assumed it was just a short term thing and were now into mid December and he still hasn't been in the squad! In the games I've seen (most of his appearances) he got a good first touch, makes some intelligent runs but doesn't seem to see an awful lot of the ball.

He's going to need to start scoring basically or people will start to ask questions about the £8.5m price tag. I don't think you can play the whole lack of service card either, Hooper has 4 in 6 now and good players score goals, yeah we don't create much but we do score sometimes! I accept a striker is very unlikely to score say 15 in this team, like Holt did under Lambert but he was quite poor most of last season and still managed to score 7 times in a Hughton team. So I think RVW needs to get a similar amount and then build on it next season. I bet if he knew more about the style of football and lack of goals the team scores he may have thought twice about joining us, could be wrong on that but there were sure quite a few other sides he could have gone to across europe.

Hooper's done really well so far, he just starting to score some goals after an injury dented his start to the season. He looks a lively player, good at holding the ball up, nice touch and obviously an eye for a goal. I fancy him to get up to 10 goals if we have a good season.

#7 canary10, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  8. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    The problem for Ricky is that he failed to take advantage of Hooper's absence while Hooper's done really well since he's been injured. Hughton will be hugely hesitant to start them both together due to their lack of physical presence so I think it's going to be a case of one or the other.

What Hooper has shown that RVW hasn't is the ability to create chances for himself. You could argue that he's gained us 6 points already this season through his quality: winning and coolly dispatching the penalty to turn things around against West Ham, finishing clinically to give us the lead against West Brom in a game where we desperately needed an early goal to cling onto and then yesterday's brilliance against Swansea. I don't usually go for hyperbole with our players but on current form he's worth it as an outside shot for the World Cup squad.

Van Wolfswinkel hasn't done too much wrong but simply won't create as many chances for himself as Hooper because of the way he plays. It's far too early to be looking critically at his price tag, particularly given that he's been injured for the majority of his time here, but the worry for him is how he gets back in the team now that Hooper's playing well and scoring regularly.