1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How football got broken beyond repair

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by FranniesTache, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Redlar

Redlar Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If it make you feel better, Im a reds fan, and i watch a load of other sports (F1, rugby, etc.) that interest me more than watching Liverpool, at times.

Slowly losing my interest watching my home town side, if completely honest. And we've started to win nearly everything these days, including a not to0 shabby 9-0 season lesson over your desperate lot.

Personally found talk of quadruple chance last year becoming nauseating. In the end, didn't give a crap about the UCL final defeat, nor the last day of the season hype. I was friggin too knackered by then. God knows how the player felt. Yeah, sad that we lost out, and all that, and yeah it was almost an unprecedented year, but give it over with the media hype would you? Football has lost its way. Media attention it well over the top. Salahs not worth 400 million a week. City, PSG, Chelsea etc.

In the end, I reckon the reds looked emotionally spent against a Madrid side which had their single trophy wrapped up months before that final, and essentially play in a 2 pony league. Watched most of the Madrid matches in the UCL, and frankly thought they were, and are still, awful. A side Liverpool would have battered by 3-4 goals 2-3 months earlier. We simply ended up playing a cup final a week for 12 weeks, trying to reel in Man Billions City. While Madrid were sitting around the proverbial pool smoking Havana's, and watching us go undefeated, and still lose out.

Honestly think I was more intrigued to watch Hamilton in the Spanish Grand prix that same weekend.

Should point out further my disillusionment stems a lot deeper than media coverage, money etc., but those things sure contribute to the root of it all. Id add the feeling is shared by a fair few reds supporters from Liverpool proper.

Then your club best win the league.

ironically, trying to recreate british grounds of the 70s.

2. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    And now the FA are looking at getting rid of FA Cup replays so already rich clubs can play in the champions league without worrying about fixture congestion.

What a load of bollocks that is, another stripping of history and culture to benefit a small handful of super rich teams at the expense of everyone else.

Premier League to discuss scrapping FA Cup replays

Redpelt likes this.
  3. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Yeah that's pretty wank man. Some small teams that get replays really need that money as well.

4. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Sell some tops in Asia or shut up.

Swirly Steve likes this.
  5. stephen jenkins

stephen jenkins Registered User

Supports:
    leicester city
    Could give them more chance to progress though. Not a fan of replays myself, way too many games.

6. Loueez

Loueez The Dudette

Supports:
    Arsenal
    But will they still travel to China and play a friendly in the mid week?

7. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    I can't see that getting any legs, thankfully. It looks like the Premier League are tabling it as a possibility but it would still need to be ratified by the FA - I'd expect serious opposition from the EFL and non-league clubs would make it a non-starter.

8. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    All PL clubs should give up all gate receipts if this BS happens , if too many fixtures then **** Europe off.

9. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    To be honest, its the FA, they probably want to make more room for more shite international friendlies.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  10. Swirly Steve

Swirly Steve Registered User

Supports:
    Man United
    This man knows the score with modern football. Yeah, those silly local match going fans. They seem to have this mad idea in their head that they still matter :confused

StretfordEnd and johnnyT like this.
  11. ByTheRiver

ByTheRiver Registered User

Supports:
    Fulham
    What's the point in clubs competing for league places to get into European Competitions only to complain about fixture congestion in the FA Cup & Lge Cup. Just scrap 2nd, 3rd and 4th place going in Champions League, give the places to the FA Cup & Lge Cup Finalists, bet there would be a big shift in teams attitude about domestic cups, after all the CL is a glorified cup knock-out competition organised by rich clubs so that they can get richer.
    The CL even lets losers who finish 2nd in the group have another chance, and gives 3rd placed teams a chance in Europa, it's ruined most leagues in Europe for being competitive.:off:

Chrysalis, Super_horns and johnnyT like this.
  12. Swirly Steve

Swirly Steve Registered User

Supports:
    Man United
    As well as being about £££, 2nd, 3rd and 4th going into the CL keeps the competition in the league going longer in the season. Otherwise for most clubs the league would be over by October when City are 50 points in front.

Same principal as in the lower leagues. If you made 3rd place get automatic promotion and scrapped the play-offs, it would be fairer, but would also kill off competitive games a lot sooner in the season.

13. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Great post.

14. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool

Dont worry mate, the way things are going anyone that finishes in the top half of the major leagues will be qualifying for europe when they add the Europa Conference League north and south :laugh:

15. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
  16. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Loved standing room only, probably the last tv show that actually spoke like the fans did. Was like having a fanzine on tv.

Redpelt likes this.
  17. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    That is brilliant.

At least we got to experience it for a couple of decades before it all went to shit.

King_Kenny, Redpelt and njmcfc1894 like this.
  18. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Were they talking about Mrleelemon and saltire specifically?

19. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Bang on that Kirbs ,the only thing they never predicted 'because at the time it would have been completely nonsensical' was to infer club football would have a pin put in it and shelved in November' so UEFA 'the most corrupt football institution in world football ' could hold a world cup hosted by one of the most affluent but completely corrupt and morally backward countries in the world ?

I imagine predicting that shit back then would have seen them laughed off the air

20. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Used to love fanzines in the early days.

FranniesTache likes this.