1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

How long has Ole got

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gate17, Sep 22, 2019.

1. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Win something.

Jonny Ninja, David and SamB_SCFC like this.
  2. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    United would have to show a cold harshness to sack Solksjaer but perhaps that is what is necessary. They know deep down he isn't the man for the job long term and he won't win any league titles.

But he has massively steadied the ship and has the team in a good position to push on. With so many managers moving about Europe this summer.... now feels like the moment.

But in the grand scheme of things, Solksjaer and United had a decent season and so you struggle to see where the precedent is to sack him this Summer.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  3. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Even that wouldn't work.

4. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    So an EFL Cup win and a 10th place league finish would keep him in a job?

5. Swirly Steve

Swirly Steve Registered User

Supports:
    Man United
    Ole's at the wheel... leave him alone.

6. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    he's the longest reigning united manager since fergie and is the only manager since fergie to have won nothing. lvg won the fa cup but was run out of town for not getting top 4 and because his football was "boring." mourinho won the league cup and the europa, finished a distant second behind city, and was sacked once he reverted to type. ole has got us consistent top 4 finishes for the first time since fergie, yes, but anyone who thinks we would have finished second had liverpool not had so many injuries and had chelsea started the season with tuchel needs to get their head checked.

ole's pushed his "star" players too far and they've either been playing injured or burned out in the closing weeks. we have a better squad than we've had in a while, but he doesn't utilize it enough. say what you want about donny, but he's better than fred and he's done well, considering the table scraps he's been given, minutes-wise. we spent a fair bit on amad in the summer, so ole knew he was coming and had time to plan for his introduction, but barely used him. axel had a great performance against psg and looks better than lindelof in my opinion, but disappeared after that match.

ole lacks the courage and mentality required of any top manager, let alone a united manager. if he wasn't a club legend, he wouldn't be in the job and i honestly feel his defenders wouldn't be giving him as much patience as they have. i think too many want it to work out for him because it would be a great story, but it just isn't going to happen. i was patient, i factored in the reality of our inept board, as well as covid, lack of preseason, and injuries, but none of that has anything to do with poor defensive tactics, stubborn and blind loyalty to crap formations and players, and severely messing up in-game managerial decisions. he's been doing these things since he was officially given the job and they've cost us on several occasions. i agree that the manager cycle at united needs to end, but ole isn't the right guy for it to end with. he's done well at certain aspects, but it's time to return to thinking bigger and taking things seriously, instead of relying on sentiment

#326 upper90, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Jonny Ninja and David like this.
  7. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I think at times he's shown some progression especially in the league where more points would have been picked up to accompany the 2nd place finish as well if he wasn't resting players for the Europa final.

However if his tenure ended now it would be considered a failure, he needs to be winning 1 trophy as a minimum next season

8. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I think Ole has had a pretty good season and Man Utd has improved under him which is probably more than many people expected from him.

But I also think the EL final showed exactly why he isn't a great manager. He obviously could learn from it and improve but just like De Gea didn't attempt to save half his penalties, Ole didn't attempt to win the game after the 80th minute while being completely on top of villareal in the earlier 25-30 mins.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  9. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Doesn't really matter though does it? They would never have been challenging City.

10. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    No but alot of people big up Mourinho's 81 points season where they weren't challenging either.

11. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I genuinely feel that many fans are blinded by a few things to back up why Ole should stay. Progress keeps being mentioned but for me it's very deceptive. As above regarding the EL Final, it isn't just that match. A lot are forgetting it stretches way before that match.

It makes me laugh that some mention a defence for Ole that he doesn't trust his bench or doesn't have anyone he can turn to either. Seriously? If that's the case then why name subs at all? Just name your 11 and keep it that way for as long as the match progresses. If that is what Ole does actually think then ask yourself if that is the Manager you want? Not a chance on top all his other flaws that just don't seem to be attempted to be improved.

Don't forget at one point this season, United were top of the League. A Half decent Manager would've at least motivated the team to go further and maintain or at least be competitive even more. Another promising position he couldn't kick on from.

The list goes on. Go back to when Jose got sacked, can you honestly say Ole was the first person on anyone's list? Not a chance.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  12. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah, but anybody doing that is an idiot.

13. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    United will go the same way as Arsenal if they stick with Ole long-term

14. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    we're already there. content with top 4 every year.

15. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I think he means being content with finishing 8th every year.

16. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    That's the first step yeah next up is midtable finishes.

17. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    But that’s the problem. Once you start staying hey look we finished second it was a good year, second shouldn’t be the bar for a club like United. Maybe if there were a few points off a title or were depleted with injuries after winning or being on the verge of winning the league then fine he gets a break. But second shouldn’t be seen as a reason to keep a manager. He’s steadied the ship after Mourinho which was the goal but now the club need a top end manager if they expect to win titles which was what United used to always be about.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  18. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Well thats where we were before Ole and since we have looked the most comfortable consistently in years for actually getting that top 4 spot.

Exactly. I guarantee if we won the EL, there would be a day or two of silence before the usual voices call for a change during the window regardless.

19. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    You finished 2nd the season before he arrived?

Leivapool and Jonny Ninja like this.
  20. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    We only got 81 points that season because Dave was god and had a save % above 80.