1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Keir Starmer next PM

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Apr 29, 2020.

1. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Looking at the recent Hartlepool election results, it does indicate that the candidate chosen was the wrong choice, if the Tories take most of the Brexit/UKIP votes. Labour won a lot of those voters back in 2017, offering a softer Brexit than the Tories, but a Brexit nonetheless. That was Labour's best result in the constituency since 2001.

I think Labour thought this would be a safe seat without Corbyn, and dropped in a party favourite, where as it should have been a local candidate from the beginning. They have thrown everything at it since, but it was probably too late by the time they realised they were in big trouble. As well as him being a big remainer, he's also got links to the Saudis and had previously supported NHS cuts when he was an MP in the past.

Capture.PNG

2. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Starmer after Labour lost a byelection under Jeremy Corbyn Corbyn partly to blame for Copeland byelection defeat, says Keir Starmer
    Be interesting to see how he responds if they lose a seat in literally his first byelection as leader. Those comments will come back to bite him on the arse.

King_Kenny likes this.
  3. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Tbh I think it'll take a while for Corbyn's legacy to wear off and for Labour to get a sense of direction/electable again. Just because the bloke is gone, it doesn't mean his rabid supporters and the bad taste they leave have abandoned the party.

4. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Ah yes, it is Jeremy Corbyn's fault if Labour lose Hartlepool this week. Just as Labour kept the seat in spite of Jeremy Corbyn when he was leader...

Donnyrovers90 and King_Kenny like this.
  5. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    It's not Hartlepool specific, but any forgotten northern town, and it's more the fault of his cult supporters who the average red wall voter has very little in common with be it economically, politically or socially.

You can't just unwind the public's perception of Labour over the previous 5 years overnight by electing a new leader, they'll need a cooling-off period before the public sees them as a viable option again.

6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd twice!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Especially if that new leader is a 'Sir' and comes yet again from a London constituency, just what is there supposed to be about Starmer that the good people of Hartlepool can identify with?

Arkwright and King_Kenny like this.
  7. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I couldn't exactly see the northern voter rallying behind Dennis Skinner or Andy Burnham :laugh:

I think Labour leadership is just a poisoned chalice at this moment in time, and it'll take a while longer before people open themselves up to voting for Labour again, much like how the Tories fell off the map post-Thatcher. People can see straight through the superficial flag-shagging bollocks and feigned support for Brexit.

8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    At the end of the day what tipped a lot of red wall seats over the edge was Brexit and one of the big issues for Labour was their own inability to come to an acceptable compromise for the Party and its supporters on its Brexit policy.

Corbyn was probably one of the coldest towards entertaining remaining or another referendum in the shadow Cabinet given his previous views on the EU. But then you had voices like Starmer who would not entertain not finding some route to remaining.

Starmer was an ardent remainer and the party has chosen an ardent remainer to field this red wall seat which is ardently leave. And oh look, the Party looks set to lose another red wall seat in the most embarrassing fashion for an opposition leader... literally the first byelection test.

To suggest the issue is the hangover from Jeremy Corbyn is funny to me @Dez , unless by hangover you mean the fact Keir Starmer was elected as leader?

9. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Andy Burnham is Mr Popular up here for some reason.

10. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Bad taste they leave? Compared to Blairite Starmer who is pretty much disliked and mocked right across the country right now?

Stop blaming Corbyn for Starmer's horrendous time as the "leader", he has lost the confidence of many long term Labour voter, myself included.

As much as Corbyn was disliked by many, at least he challenged the opposition on just about everything as an opposition leader should do, as opposed to Starmer, Boris's little lapdog.

11. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Corbyn's return to the 70's policies are what killed Labour, it needed a young, dynamic new leader (yes like Bliar) to enthuse the electorate and play Boris the Buffoon at his own faux man-of-the-people-with-an-old-school-tie game. Instead they elected another grey suit from within the M25, born in London, educated in Surrey, probably hasn't been North since he attended University in Leeeeeeeds 30+ years ago.

Tshabs and TLC like this.
  12. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    This individual does not exist right now, not sure they did back in 2015 either.

13. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I fear you may be right, but Rayner or Nandy would surely have made a bigger, more positive impact that Starmer.

14. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    She has been as useless as dear leader since being elected to the deputy role as far as I've seen but Rayner would have been my choice for leader originally.

15. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I've seen her give a couple of excoriating speeches when standing in for Starmer, and she seems active around social media and up and down the country. My pick would have been Nandy but she's been nothing more than adequate either.

16. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    Labour set for huge election defeat in Hartlepool, internal polling suggests

Fewer than half of recent Labour voters in Hartlepool say they will back the party in Thursday’s crucial byelection, according to internal data based on the canvassing of more than 10,000 people, leading activists to fear a historic Conservative victory.

Labour insiders said polling from its ground campaign in the town showed only about 40% of the party’s previous supporters had pledged to vote for its candidate, Paul Williams.

LOL.

17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Labours choice to stick two fingers up to one wing of its supporters, whilst not cutting through enough to appeal to voters from another wing goes way beyond any shite you saw under Corbyn.

It's painfully inept from the leadership.

18. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I voted for her as deputy and would have voted for her to be leader had she have ran for that job. It is a pity her and RLB didn't switch the jobs they were going for, as Rayner would be a good leader, and RLB is good on policy. Two northern women might have put some off, but at least Johnson would have had some opposition over the past 12 months.

19. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
  20. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    After he Tweeted me re. the 'Congestion tax' I ended up voting for Mr. Burnham after all . . . :ashamed:coat

JTC77 likes this.