1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League 1 Members General Chat

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by PhilJack, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Millerbri

Millerbri Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    It's a huge disappointment but not entirely surprising.

He hasn't been his usual self in interviews this season and on the BBC podcasts he did with Carl Robinson spoke openly about the problems of outstaying your welcome at a particular club (as happened with his old boss here, Ronnie Moore).
    He said he would hate to long enough to have the boo boys hound him out of his job.

He has been great for us with 3 promotions and a Wembley Tinpot Trophy win, but he managed 3 relegations during the same time period.
    Though the first one was already a given when he took the job TBF.

He won't be given the same grace at Derby that Tony Stewart gave him but he will be backed in the transfer market more.

I have no idea if he can be successful there, it's taken a long time to build a squad that works towards an aim like we have here.
    He is quite ruthless to players who are not totally committed to the cause, I'm not sure Derby's aging squad will buy into his work ethic and that's when he will have to learn to deal with bigger egos than he is used to here.

It could all work out for him but I fear the worst, still at least he can have a fat pay cheque if it all goes tits up.

Rumours up here are that it has been in the pipeline for weeks and a club insider told me that he was fearful he "would be leaving soon" three weeks ago.

What is sad is that he didn't use his "good human being" mantra to tell fans he was leaving instead of scuttling off to Portugal to play golf with his coaching staff but mainly dodge the storm he has left behind.

I would like to be the bigger man and wish him "all the best" but it's kinda stuck in my throat lol.

2. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    4 years as well, that’s a gamble for Derby. As above, Derby is a very different job to Rotherham and there’s every chance some of the old lags there might not be too chuffed. Has a good record in this league though so who knows.

3. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Probably be expected to win promotion this season ?

Particularly as he did it with Rotherham so often .

#25063 Super_horns, Sep 22, 2022 at 3:24 PM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022 at 3:29 PM
  4. Ipswich1

Ipswich1 Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich
    He's probably calculated that having 3 promotions on his CV means that even if it goes tits up at Derby, he will be able to get another League 1 job again somewhere else.

Super_horns likes this.
  5. Ipswich1

Ipswich1 Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich
    Hopefully for your sake Hurst's 15-game reign of terror at Portman Road will dissuade Rotherham from giving him another shot at Championship level.

Thijssen likes this.
  6. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Taking on Hurst managing in Championship again would be a massive gamble after the shit show at Ipswich. Should’ve been focused on getting us over the line and go up and reach there with us and have no real expectation of us doing much. Of course money overrules that knowing that if you fail you’ll get a big pay off which is what happened.

Personally if I were Rotherham I’d be looking at Ainsworth instead if they’re looking for a manager currently in work.

7. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    All Warne had to do with Rotherham was keep them up this season which they are in the best position to do for some time and then he could have jumped up the ladder to a more middling championship club at least.

I hope it's a career killer for him as they still have a thin squad at the end of the day and are embargoed until next year

8. Norfolk Mariner

Norfolk Mariner Registered User

Supports:
    Grimsby Town
    I thought going to Ipswich at that time was a bad, though understandable, move. Although then colleagues of mine who watch Ipswich regularly rejected my thought that fans would soon turn on him if things didn't start well, I was always concerned that replacing a dour, plain speaking Yorkshireman like Mick McCarthy with a younger, but equally dour and plain speaking Yorkshireman in Paul Hurst was a big gamble that could backfire quickly. I appreciate you're nearer to it than me, but I'd suggest I wasn't far wrong with that prediction (for once).

Quite apart from what I suspect would be a big difference in expectations between Rotherham and Ipswich at Championship level, I think there would have to be a strong emotional attraction if Rotherham do come in for Hurst, given he was a player there for 15 years. However, while Shrewsbury were pushing at an open door when they appointed him in 2016, I think Rotherham would have to work much harder in a business sense to get their man. Hurst came back to us on the basis of working with our current owners, not the regime that was in place when he left previously, and they have backed him both on and off the pitch. I'd be disappointed if he did go but, given what he's done for us, I'd start work on the statue of him outside Blundell Park tomorrow.

9. Norfolk Mariner

Supports:
    Grimsby Town
    I wouldn't necessarily argue with that, but I can't see him leaving Wycombe for a club effectively of similar size and where, as far as I know, he has no previous links.

10. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    It wasn’t the fans that turned on Hurst, it was the players. The senior members of the squad decided pretty quickly that they couldn’t work with him and Doig and went to the owner. We were all waiting to see what he would do to turn it around, there were no protests or whatever. It was a shame, but in the end it was our previous owner who got it spectacularly wrong by appointing someone so inappropriate.

11. Millerbri

Millerbri Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    There's not much support for going for Ainsworth at this end.
    He has no affinity to us and his idea of how a team should play the game has very few admirers.

Admittedly he has been a very good manager for Wycombe but our games against them have generally been dreadful and full of gamesmanship and time wasting.

He isn't very popular around here, but then neither was Steve Evans and he was brilliant for us so who knows.

Anyway, he has distanced himself from any move earlier today so that's good for us and Wycombe.

12. Norfolk Mariner

Supports:
    Grimsby Town
    Always easier to sack a manager than 20-odd players of course, but I do wonder if they'd have done that to a bigger name manager. I think he was probably just too similar to what had gone before, but he's better placed to take a job at that level now if one comes his way.

13. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Yeah maybe not. It’s not great to have a group of players having that kind of influence at a club, and it shows what a basket case the place was by the end of Mick’s time. By the same token, Hurst was brought in to manage these players and the fact that he managed to totally alienate them all so quickly shows just how out of his depth he was.

14. Ipswich1

Ipswich1 Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich
    On paper, Hurst seemed like a good choice for us at the time. Given our budget relative to the rest of the league, revolution not evolution made sense and stylistically Hurst offered that after Mick's hoofball - still direct, but with more pressing and trying to be on the front foot.

The mistake he made was with transfers. There was always going to be a bit of churn - McGoldrick was out of contract and Carter-Vickers, Connolly and Celina went back to their parent clubs. Then Webster, Waghorn and Garner handed in transfer requests within a few days of Hurst's arrival, allegedly not happy with the new regime. I get that he needed to generate money to re-shape the squad in his own image but when getting rid of that much Championship experience, he should have got in a few older heads to replace them. Instead, we got 7 new recruits from L1 and L2 (alongside 6 loanees) who weren't given the opportunity to grow and develop at the level and were all chucked in at the deep end. The striker situation summed it up best - Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick got 34 goals between them in 2017/18 and their replacements Edwards, Harrison and Jackson got 10 the following season, all playing their first seasons at the level. In fairness to Hurst, he tried to rectify this by bringing in Jon Walters on loan but he got injured within a month and then retired.

The man-management was bizarre too. When Bialkowski and Knudsen, probably our two best players, were given an extended break after the World Cup, Hurst said in interviews that neither were guaranteed a place in the team when they returned and after a loss to Exeter in only his third match, he blasted the players in the press and then unexpectedly dropped Bialkowski for the Norwich game, only telling him 2 hours before kick-off. Maybe another manager with credit in the bank could have got away with things like this, but to come from Grimsby and Shrewsbury and start swinging your balls around in a dressing room full of senior Championship players was never likely to end well. If he did get the Rotherham job, it would be interesting to see whether he's learnt from this or not.

Bringing it back to Warne and Derby though, Jack Ross was also interviewed for the Town job that summer but instead chose to go to Sunderland in League 1, which is a similar situation. We were at the higher level but given the lack of resources available, we were unlikely to go any higher whereas Sunderland gave Ross a huge opportunity to put another promotion on his CV and potentially take a club to the Premier League. Even though it didn't work out for him there, it made sense. Derby have much more long-term potential than Rotherham so I can see why Warne wanted a fresh challenge there instead of scrapping for 21st in the Championship.

15. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    As you say he has no prervious links to Rotherham,he loves it at Wycombe and it will be 10 years tomorrow that he's been our manager,his kids are at a local school and he sings in a local band so why would he leave?

16. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC & Worthing FC
    Money, unfortunately.

17. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    He has often said money is not his main motivation he just wants to be happy at Wycombe,the only club i could see him leaving us for is Blackburn as he's supported them all his life and came through their youth system before being released aged 18 which he admits broke his heart.

18. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered Useless : Trevor Kettle Style .

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Our C.E.O . David Paton who's on a 6 figure salary & has been awol for a few months has been suspended by the EFL & Posh also in bother for sending paperwork regarding his employment in late .

Before Paton tipped up at Posh he worked with the Oystons & Blackpool's new owners brokering a deal , the charges against him are to due with EFL's fit & proper conduct.

The 3 club owners over a 1 month period interviewed over 100 people for C.E.O . role & Paton & 4 others had a 2nd interview before being offered the job in which his 1st capacity he priced up our 5th round FA Cup match v Man City as £50 for adults & £32 for kids to watch the game which after a barrage of protests were lowered dramatically & his 2nd big job was Posh bonds in which the club raised £2.5 million in which to install rail seating in the standing area ( unwanted / unpopular ) at a cost of £1 million , £550k to build a sports bar ready 4 World Cup ( nothing's happened ) & £950k for architecture drawings / legal fees regarding building of a new stadium ( I've got some crayons & A4 & can chat b*llocks ) for far cheaper than that along with WHY are the fans having to pay for these rather than the 3 multi millionaire co owners ?

19. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Paul Hurst second favourite for the Rotherham job at 3/1 according to Sky Bet. Gareth Ainsworth favourite at 2/1.

20. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Ainsworth has today said he's not interested in the job.